Spring Break - Into the Western Great Basin - April 2017

ski3pin

Belay On
Site Team
I was just thinking it had been a while since we've seen a report from you!
Thanks for posting!

This may be a strange question but how did you drain the "warm" tub?

smlobx said:
I was just thinking it had been a while since we've seen a report from you!
Thanks for posting!

This may be a strange question but how did you drain the "warm" tub?
When you look at the photo of the tub, notice the rag underwater on the left side. This is stuffed into the drain. Pull the plug and drain to that level. We bailed the remainder out with the bucket. I was surprised the drain on this tub is so high. A tennis ball inside a sock works well as a plug. Better than a rag with a knot tied in it.

Overall this is one of the best built soaking tubs we've found. It would be nice to know the history of this tub plus others that we've visited.

Enjoyed your report. Soaking in sub-zero temps is the best!! Safe travels!!

Indeed, sorry for your loss. Sounds like they lived a full rich life.

Another phenomenal adventure. Many thanks as always for taking the time to document and share with us. Speed goats! Great term. The Lady has a wonderful way of describing our world. Also as usual I've got more places to explore thanks to your blog. Regarding the road to the hot spring, is there another road you would compare it to for perspective?

Ski, interesting report. Beautiful area. Looking forward to Part 3. Sorry for your loss. Susan and I will be thinking of both of you. jd

First of all, I want to send my condolences to you and The Lady for the loss of her mother. I lost my 99 year old grandmother a couple of years ago and no matter how old they are, it's still very hard.

It's a shame that such a nice little hot spring like that would have to be at the end of an almost impassable road. I guess there's probably no need for anyone to ever grade and fix the road, so the spring will probably just dissolve back into the earth eventually.

Some of those rock formations and outcrops looked very Alabama Hill-ish. I love it!

Although you two had to endure some pretty low temps, at least you did it under a few glorious moons.

Finally, "Speed Goats?" They must be related to the elusive Jackalopes I've heard about that roam the west...

Thanks for sharing your great TR as usual.

I'm late to the story and will add my condolences for you and the lady- so great that you have such wonderful nature at your doorstep for respite, reflection and exploration. Nature is the great healer. Thanks for your report and the great photos.

Everyone, thanks again for your kindness and condolences. A small group of family and friends will gather next Monday as Mom is interned in the National Cemetery.

takesiteasy, yes we are blessed with so much open land, history, geology close by. Nature does heal, as does kindness and caring friends and family.

Mr. Groovy, cold overnight temps of early spring are what our campers are made for and I reckon "Speed Goat" is an old buckaroo term. We love it when the short mane on the spine of the neck stands erect.

ETAV8R, what could I compare the road to? Half the length of Lippincott, impossibly steeper, half the width, much much rougher. The section the Lady hated was a steep small ridgeline down a gully with loose rock. You need to straddle the top or slide into the gully off either side. I believe anything wider than our narrow truck would drag the differentials. My least favorite section was a shelf section after a steep switchback. The narrow road has eroded into a rocky V channel that we straddled and drove on the tire sidewalls. The road was access to a small, now abandoned mine. There is better road river access further south so I expect this road to get no attention.

Back
Top Bottom