Spring Break & the North Rim of the Grand Canyon

Thanks for a great trip report. I am like you: hate big cities, freeways, loud crowds, love the quiet, serene uncrowded.

Toroweap is a beautiful area that is becoming quite popular.

Do you often see rattlers on your trips? We have no poisonous snakes here in the PNW so i am somewhat in awe of them. Never saw one in the wild except for a dead one.

Awaiting next installment. Great photos by the way.

Very nice, ski3pin! Nice photos, Nice narration. More??
I'll be there myself (if all goes according to plan) in 4 or 5 days!
smile.gif

Fabulous, ski3pin! Wow!
I think that route down to the river must have gotten worse since I did it 16 years ago...an unmaintained route like that isn't going to get better with time, that's for sure. I know that the near-certain-death warning wasn't there...

GREAT STUFF!

Do you often see rattlers on your trips? We have no poisonous snakes here in the PNW so i am somewhat in awe of them. Never saw one in the wild except for a dead one.

Um, yes we do. :unsure: Not on the west side of the cascades but that hardly encompasses the PNW... there are plenty on the east side of the cascades.

GREAT STUFF!

Um, yes we do. :unsure: Not on the west side of the cascades but that hardly encompasses the PNW... there are plenty on the east side of the cascades.

Sorry, I really did mean West of the Cascades. Native born, 5th generation Puget Sounder. The dead one I saw was in a National Forest near Wenatchee so yeah, I know they are in Eastern Washington/Oregon. We spent 2 weeks on the eastern Sierras and 3 weeks in Southern Utah and saw nary a rattler though we did see a couple of tarantulas in Nevada.

Oh, man. It is trip reports like this that make me want to get out the map, and plan a route. Of course, this will be added to the list of trips I would like to take. That list just is not getting any shorter. Now if it were not for that work thing I am sure I would put more miles on that truck and camper.

Sigh.....

At least the photos and reports are good to read.

Thanks guys. This coming from a place that also has seen no spring....

Dave in Seattle.....

Wow, Ski, what a great trip report. Fantastic locations, hikes, archeological finds, wildlife, solitude, all the makings of an ultimate trip. And all done with proper respect for nature and history. You are no lomger my friend - you are now my idol. :D

Sorry, I really did mean West of the Cascades. Native born, 5th generation Puget Sounder. The dead one I saw was in a National Forest near Wenatchee so yeah, I know they are in Eastern Washington/Oregon. We spent 2 weeks on the eastern Sierras and 3 weeks in Southern Utah and saw nary a rattler though we did see a couple of tarantulas in Nevada.

Centeral WA desert area has more, I've jumped a few around the Vantage area for instance.

"nary a rattler" is the way I usually like my hiking trips though... :D

What a great adventure report, I felt like i was there. Wondeful pics of cacti and serpents interspersed with action! Awesome. Toroweep (Tuweep) has been on my radar for quia number of years, these are the best photos I've seen of the area, gotta get there. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom