Spring rendezvous?

Yep, everywhere we traveled (coming into Hart from Warner Valley/Plush) was bone dry. Did not get out in the hinterlands around the Alvord Playa as planned but I would surmise that it is dry also. Obviously if you ventured into the high country you might encounter sheltered snow drifts or muddy spots.... I will take the blame if anyone gets stuck ;)

Today I was in the John Day country for a long hike and it was very dry also, no major flower blooms but the Cacti were going off like crazy.

Thanks much, looks like we may go there next week-dry, seems like the area has been infected by the lack of precip like NE Ca/NW Nev-may be a long hot summer!

Smoke

...dry, seems like the area has been infected by the lack of precip like NE Ca/NW Nev-may be a long hot summer!...

Yes, while the Oregon Cascades ended up getting a little above average snowpack, eastern Oregon ended up with only about 50% of normal snow. Now, it's a dry region in general, but 50% of dry is damn-dry.
sad.gif

It looks like Smokecreek1, Silvertip47, and I are heading to southeast Oregon next week, meeting in the Steens/Alvord-Desert area May 7.
(yes, that's a Monday -- must be on retired-guy schedule
wink.gif
)
If anyone else is interested in joining with, let us know and we'll keep you in the loop with specifics as they form.
:)

It looks like Smokecreek1, Silvertip47, and I are heading to southeast Oregon next week, meeting in the Steens/Alvord-Desert area May 7.
(yes, that's a Monday -- must be on retired-guy schedule
wink.gif
)
<snip>

Looks like you guys are going to have fun. We expect a trip report complete with missing chairs and lots of photos. Travel safe and have fun.

Could you post the map of our first camp here? Thanks.

We plan to meet up and camp at Pike Creek at the base of the east side of Steens Mt on May 7.

SE-OR_Route-Overview.jpg

The first post of my Early January... trip report has photos of this spot. That was in the dead of winter (not very wintry, but still dead), and it'll be greener this time of year.
My Retirement: First Trip report (April 2010) has photos of the then-wet Alvord Playa as well photos of Pike Creek area.
Craggyman has posted a shot of his rig there, currently shown on the home page of the Forum.
There are plenty of spots for camping in a couple-hundred-yard stretch along the Creek.

Here's a link to the BLM Burns District page for Pike Creek Trail, which includes detailed driving directions to the spot.
Here's a link to their page for Alvord Desert.

Looks like you guys are going to have fun. We expect a trip report complete with missing chairs and lots of photos. Travel safe and have fun.

:LOL:
I've trained my dog "bob" to protect my new strong back chair-so I'm safe! But he can be bought off with vodka!

Smoke

:LOL:
I've trained my dog "bob" to protect my new strong back chair-so I'm safe! But he can be bought off with vodka!

Smoke

How does he taste to rattlers after he's had some vodka? :eek:

Don't count me out. Always a definite maybe... :cautious:

Send me your credit card info, Craggy, and I'll put a deposit down on a spot for you.
It's a non-refundable deposit, so I hope you can show up.
laugh.gif

How does he taste to rattlers after he's had some vodka? :eek:

:LOL:The idea is that they can't smell him when he's been drinking (he's a sloppy drunk)-besides booze is good as pre-snakebite medicine right?

Smoke

ha ha, laugh all you want but if you ever saw my collection of lawn chairs you would be green with envy!!!! :D

OK OK I don't want Bob mad at me!!!! I'll bring one. :D

Camper is fixed and home. Be loading it up this weekend to head out. First trip of the year and the first trip in this camper.

Upcoming weather looks pretty good in southeast Oregon -- sunny and dry, anyway. :)

Fields_7-day_20120504-1.jpg

I'm looking forward to spending a few days in my favorite area in Oregon! :)
For me, it's kinda like Death Valley is for some Californian WTWers: long-time favorite playground, with the comfort of the familiar...but not boring-familiar.
biggrin.gif

First trip of the year and the first trip in this camper.

Is this a new camper, Silvertip? What is it?

This is a very gently used 07 Sunlite. Even has a water heater, gray tank and indoor potty!!!! I busted up the old Northstar pretty bad by the end of last year. I gave it away for the price of hauling it away!~!~!

Now I wish I had kept the furnace for a greenhouse I am building!!!!

Looking at the ,map I guesstimated Pine Creek Camp at about 42 3500 x 118 3300. Is that close?

Looking at the ,map I guesstimated Pine Creek Camp at about 42 3500 x 118 3300. Is that close?

Yep, that's close enough -- but it's Pike Creek (not Pine). Doesn't matter really what you call it, though, since there aren't any signs anyway...since it's not an official campground. But if you stopped to ask directions from a local you should say "Pike".
wink.gif

The roadside on the west side of the road in that stretch is fenced, but there's a cattle guard through the fence at the turn off to Pike Creek.

I saw the "2007 Sunlite" in your signature, but I couldn't remember what you had, so I didn't know if that was the new one or the old one.

Back
Top Bottom