Springs

The Saints

Well after getting my Bobcat installed with all the works, it weighed around 850lbs or so. Even with the new Supersprings I had installed it was a bit much for the Taco. It worked but if I took it onto a bumpy road, it would bottom out.
So, I got new springs built for the Taco and they are great. The team who installed them had to remove on leaf on each spring. Each spring now has three leafs about a half inch thick each. It now rides a bit high in the rear, but super smooth. Now the truck rides like it did when it was empty of a camper. I have gone over some good bumps that used to cause the truck to bottom out and now nothing happens. So, I will be able to take the Taco out on some 4 wheel trails now with out worring about that part of the truck bottoming out anyway.
Even though it does not bother us driving I may have my mechanic pick up the front end to equal out the height in the back, just for aesthetics.
The mechanics put the new springs and the Supersprings on my truck, put the Supersprings back on the truck since I bought them, but he said they probably wont get much use now. He set them on the loose setting and wished me a fun time.
During this time I also bought a new 80W solar panel with a nice controler, and a new barbeque.
Hopefully see some of you all out there on the road, trail or campgrounds!

Hi Scott: Glad to see you are having fun with your new Bobcat. I pretty much have the same camper as you less the solar panel. I got it in March. I would love to learn more about what you have in regards to the solar panel and more details about your springs?. I have a 2001 Tacoma 4X4 Automatic Std Cab. I have bilsteins, supersprings on the high setting and a helwig stablizer. It seems to work pretty well. We live in Livermore. We will soon stop going to the mountains every weekend so maybe we can meet down you way some time to say hi.

Regards,

Darryl

I would wait a bit on lifting the front to see how the back settles after at least a couple trips. A couple years back, I re-did the springs on the back of my truck with an entire high end suspension upgrade and after about 3 trail runs, I had to lower the fronts an inch....and as you probably already know, every time you mess with the front, you need to get an alignment.

Good job on the solar, it works very well on these setups, better for the environment too. If I can ever drum up the money or get sponsorship from the company, I might add one of those 65 watt roll ups to my 85 watt for those times when I am in overcast weather / snowy weather for weeks on end and not moving much.

I leave again tomorrow for three weeks, I am putting a water tank heating pad in and that will be about it for mods.

By the way, do you happen to have the part numbers for the locks you got for all three compartments? We have the same rig, built at the same time, I would love to just upgrade them and be set.

Cheers,

Dan

Dan, I am planning on waiting before I do anything else to the truck. We have a 400 mile round trip set up over Veterans day week then another 1200 mile round trip set up at Thanks giving week. Those should do a lot to settling.
As for the locks, I have no numbers. I let the local locksmith order everything and install them. The total damages were less then $25.00.
Last week I hooked up the solar panel and controller. It went off like a charm. Now our camper is complete.....for now. Next year a new GPS and tires. I am thinking BF Goodrich All Terrains. LT's with an E rating.

Hi Scott,
Where did you get the springs build? If don't mind how much do they cost?
Thanks
Alex

As for the locks, I have no numbers. I let the local locksmith order everything and install them. The total damages were less then $25.00.

$25 bones is nice, are they cam-loc or regular keyed type?

. I am thinking BF Goodrich All Terrains. LT's with an E rating.

Might also checkout the Firestone Destination AT. They are Tire Racks highest rated all terrain tires. I got the 285's E rated and they have been great on and off road. I'm not a tire expert but these have good to some rough places and are also quiet and smooth on the highway.

Barko, I will keep that in mind. I am planning on buying my tires at Costco. They have a life time rotate and balance policy, and they use nitrogen to refill the tires. I will have to get what they have at the time. Also, the wife and I can shop while they work on our tires every time.
Alex the springs were purchased through the mechanic: Central Coast 4 Wheel Drive, in Santa Cruz CA. I believe they ordered them from some place down in southern CA. With the install and all it cost $1,225.50. They had to remove a leaf because they were too tall otherwise.
Dan, as for the locks, cam lock or regular? I am sorry, I don't understand. All I do is put in my key and twist. I don't mean to sound sarcastic but I don't know otherwise.

Barko, I will keep that in mind. I am planning on buying my tires at Costco. They have a life time rotate and balance policy, and they use nitrogen to refill the tires. I will have to get what they have at the time. Also, the wife and I can shop while they work on our tires every time.
Alex the springs were purchased through the mechanic: Central Coast 4 Wheel Drive, in Santa Cruz CA. I believe they ordered them from some place down in southern CA. With the install and all it cost $1,225.50. They had to remove a leaf because they were too tall otherwise.
Dan, as for the locks, cam lock or regular? I am sorry, I don't understand. All I do is put in my key and twist. I don't mean to sound sarcastic but I don't know otherwise.

Not to cause trouble but, a set of 7 pack Deaver springs retail for about $440.00, with air tools I can do the install in about 2 hrs. I can't make it add up to $1200.00. Something doesn't sound right to me. (no longer The Fisherman, dumped my old password which I can't remember, and have a new computer and Email address, so I'm a new member named "Crabby" which I think fits much better.

Ahhh Salty the memory is the first to go. You still know how to do it but cant remember why you want to.
[/quote
I sat here for about an hour trying to remember my password, I have no clue, but I can still remember my name, which is helpful.

Jon, Salty... who ever you are. I wish I lived closer to you. I would much rather have given my money to someone with one of our campers whom I somewhat know through this web site instead of a local business with people I don't know. They did the install in two hours. Put them on, took them off and removed a leaf, then put them on. Unfortunately I don't do that kind of work, and I don't know someone with the means to do it. If you weren't so far away I would have gladly taken the truck to your shop. Just where are you, I thought way north of me around Mendecino CO, lost coast or something like that (you know the pig roast and all)?
Anyway, the money was well spent. I am very happy with my ride now. I don't even know who or what brand the springs are. They are thick, about 3/16 to 1/4 inch, and shaped nice like a smilley :D
I am always up for advise though.
Thank you. :rolleyes:

Jon, Salty... who ever you are. I wish I lived closer to you. I would much rather have given my money to someone with one of our campers whom I somewhat know through this web site instead of a local business with people I don't know. They did the install in two hours. Put them on, took them off and removed a leaf, then put them on. Unfortunately I don't do that kind of work, and I don't know someone with the means to do it. If you weren't so far away I would have gladly taken the truck to your shop. Just where are you, I thought way north of me around Mendecino CO, lost coast or something like that (you know the pig roast and all)?
Anyway, the money was well spent. I am very happy with my ride now. I don't even know who or what brand the springs are. They are thick, about 3/16 to 1/4 inch, and shaped nice like a smilley :D
I am always up for advise though.
Thank you. :rolleyes:

Yep, I live in rainy Whitethorn Ca. home of the famous Pig Roast,(what ever happemed to George?) DC Customs is located in Ukiah Ca. 707-463-2227, owned by a very good friend, I have a race prep. shop behind his, where he installed a door so he could borrow my tools. Your invoice should show what springs went into your truck, I'm curious, are they 7 or 10 leaf packs? I think the bill was a little high, but I don't know exactly what they did. Next time ask me what you're thinking of doing, and between me or Dustin we can give you a good idea about cost. Somewhere on here is a post on my Toyota suspension upgrade, you probably shouldn't look at it. Just another newb. Jon

Kodachrome: Look here for the locks - #43018 worked on the accessory doors on my Hawk.

http://www.go-rv.com/coast/do/catalog/page?dealerId=1922&pageNum=337

Ahhh Salty the memory is the first to go. You still know how to do it but cant remember why you want to.

I can remember why, and how to, but the body sometimes falls asleep on it's own. :( I bet DD can reset your original password if you ask real nice.

Yep, I live in rainy Whitethorn Ca. home of the famous Pig Roast,(what ever happemed to George?) DC Customs is located in Ukiah Ca. 707-463-2227, owned by a very good friend, I have a race prep. shop behind his, where he installed a door so he could borrow my tools. Your invoice should show what springs went into your truck, I'm curious, are they 7 or 10 leaf packs? I think the bill was a little high, but I don't know exactly what they did. Next time ask me what you're thinking of doing, and between me or Dustin we can give you a good idea about cost. Somewhere on here is a post on my Toyota suspension upgrade, you probably shouldn't look at it. Just another newb. Jon

I think you scared George away. :eek:

Back
Top Bottom