Stable Lift

vantexan

Hi, New to the forum. I'm looking at some ideas for retirement travel and have settled on towing a teardrop trailer with a small truck. As I'll be spending time in remote areas I'm thinking the FWC Fleet model would be a great support vehicle for the teardrop. I know you are thinking just use the FWC, but this will be my fulltiming rig. I'd like to be able to drop the camper at campsites and it looks like the Stable Lift jack system would be the way to go. Anyone know if it'll fit the small FWC's? Sorry, don't have their URL in front of me but Stable Lift will pull up on Google. Appreciate any advice!

Welcome vantexan. I have seen those on full size campers but not on a FWC. One thing you should be aware of - the sub floor of a FWC will not support you if the camper is suspended on jacks. So if you drop it in camp, you will need to set it on the ground or put some type of supports underneath it.

Welcome vantexan. I have seen those on full size campers but not on a FWC. One thing you should be aware of - the sub floor of a FWC will not support you if the camper is suspended on jacks. So if you drop it in camp, you will need to set it on the ground or put some type of supports underneath it.

Thanks Ted, I think you saved me some money on an expensive jack system. I assumed with the aluminum frame it would be ok. Still, a great support system for what I want to do.

Vantexan, There are as many ways to do what you are planning as there are people doing it. I use to own a large campground near a major city. We had professionals camping with us who lived and worked on the road full time. I am referring to smart people with high paying jobs who had been living in their campers for sometimes 30 years. Typically, these professionals had large 5th wheels with slide outs towed by well fitted out 4WD pickups. The wife usually drove a large rear wheel drive automobile, something equivalent to a modern Ford Panther platform car (Crown Vic, Mercury Marquis, or Lincoln) towing a nice utility van trailer (Wells Cargo being a typical brand they would use)(By the way, sometimes the wife drove the truck towing the 5th wheel because it was actually more stable on the road than the automobile towing the trailer). A minority of full timers like this prefer Airstreams, which are quality trailers but smaller. Most anyone on this web site can figure out how this combination of 4 vehicles comprised by two trailers, a solid 4WD truck plus a luxury sedan would offer comfort and flexibility. Who is to say that other options might please you and your camping partner more.

On the other hand, if you have less rolling stock that what is described above, it is normal to have a home base. With the home base, it is much easier to support other types of so called full time setups. With a small set of wheels and no home base, you will be forced to compromise on quality of life way too much for the typical camping partner even if you are a Spartan. Believe me, we had people in our campground living with almost nothing but we did not encourage folks like this to stay with us long term because their presence tended to degrade our campground property. And, you will find this philosophy of campground management to be pretty much the standard in the business. Unless you have a really nice rig, you will be limited to 2 weeks in most campgrounds.

Busses, now that is a whole nother subject.

From my own experience, the Four Wheel Camper, Alaskan, plus a hard camper we owned, all have/had plywood floors that require support when off the truck. This is a minor problem that can be addressed easily by something as simple as a concrete block and 2X4 placed under the floor and adjusting the camper down onto the support with the jacks. Some people have folding stands for the purpose. It is a non-problem. Another thing; it is not as easy to load and unload your truck camper as the magazine articles and forums suggest, just in case you have not tried it. This operation requires a good bit of skill.

John D

Vantexan, There are as many ways to do what you are planning as there are people doing it. I use to own a large campground near a major city. We had professionals camping with us who lived and worked on the road full time. I am referring to smart people with high paying jobs who had been living in their campers for sometimes 30 years. Typically, these professionals had large 5th wheels with slide outs towed by well fitted out 4WD pickups. The wife usually drove a large rear wheel drive automobile, something equivalent to a modern Ford Panther platform car (Crown Vic, Mercury Marquis, or Lincoln) towing a nice utility van trailer (Wells Cargo being a typical brand they would use)(By the way, sometimes the wife drove the truck towing the 5th wheel because it was actually more stable on the road than the automobile towing the trailer). A minority of full timers like this prefer Airstreams, which are quality trailers but smaller. Most anyone on this web site can figure out how this combination of 4 vehicles comprised by two trailers, a solid 4WD truck plus a luxury sedan would offer comfort and flexibility. Who is to say that other options might please you and your camping partner more.

On the other hand, if you have less rolling stock that what is described above, it is normal to have a home base. With the home base, it is much easier to support other types of so called full time setups. With a small set of wheels and no home base, you will be forced to compromise on quality of life way too much for the typical camping partner even if you are a Spartan. Believe me, we had people in our campground living with almost nothing but we did not encourage folks like this to stay with us long term because their presence tended to degrade our campground property. And, you will find this philosophy of campground management to be pretty much the standard in the business. Unless you have a really nice rig, you will be limited to 2 weeks in most campgrounds.

Busses, now that is a whole nother subject.

From my own experience, the Four Wheel Camper, Alaskan, plus a hard camper we owned, all have/had plywood floors that require support when off the truck. This is a minor problem that can be addressed easily by something as simple as a concrete block and 2X4 placed under the floor and adjusting the camper down onto the support with the jacks. Some people have folding stands for the purpose. It is a non-problem. Another thing; it is not as easy to load and unload your truck camper as the magazine articles and forums suggest, just in case you have not tried it. This operation requires a good bit of skill.

John D

Hi John,
I've lived in a 26' travel trailer for 9 years now, transferring with my company every couple of years. I quit the same company about 13 years ago and bought a truck with a built-in sleeper and delivered 5th wheels and travel trailers for a transporter all over the U.S. and Canada. Learned that towing little trailers is fun, towing big trailers not so much. Overall alot of fun but didn't pay well. Now I'm about 7 years from early retirement but may have to work longer. I'll be heading to 5 acres near Big Bend National Park when I retire, and to Real de Catorce at 9000' in Mexico during the summer. R de C is accessed by a 1.5 mile tunnel that's 8'10" high, thus the small rig. For a travel partner I imagine it'll be a couple of small dogs, unless my current large ones are still alive! Ultimately I'm heading to the Philippines in hopes of meeting a nice lady, but want to exorcise the camping demons before I do. :D
I've been crazy about RV's since living in McAllen, TX in the early 90's, which is in the middle of one of the country's biggest RV hotspots. I like the big 5th wheels, but I plan to live outside the country eventually so don't want to spend my entire savings on one. I'll have satellite tv and radio, even wi-fi internet so I'm pretty comfortable with the whole thing. But you are right, most people probably wouldn't be comfortable with this fulltime. It takes getting used to for sure. Regards, Wade

Hi Wade,

My wife and I cruised through the Philippines in our little ketch. With respect to blue water and beautiful beaches, it is the most beautiful country in the world. Two weeks ago, an old Navy veteran who has an HVAC business installed natural gas lines into our fire places for gas logs. He told me he was married to a Pilipino woman and planning to retire to the Philippines. He visits his wife’s family at least once a year. His retirement money goes about 4 times as far as it would here. As I told him, you can’t get it any better than that. He agreed, and said he is 62 and gone to the Philippines as soon as he can sell his business. This old Navy veteran and you are dudes with a little different plan, but are the perfect examples of how everyone needs to satisfy themselves with their approach to life … and RVs.

With your situation in mind, I would consider one change, the teardrop trailer. I would buy a van trailer, like a Wells Cargo with tandem axles, and tow that with my truck camper. You can easily tow a tandem van trailer. I own one of these trailers and can attest to the first class way in which they tow down the highway. This company (and others) have really worked the kinks out on these modern trailers that are designed for professionals who tow race cars, tools, etc. As you know from your experience, it makes a big difference to have a smooth rig behind your truck. I think a tandem tows better than a single. With proper fairings, these trailers are fairly easy on gas too.

By choosing a lightweight camper like the FWC, your truck has plenty of reserve to tow a trailer with the camper. You probably already own the truck and know what kind of gas mileage it gets with different combinations. The FWC will do pretty well on fuel consumption. With the box of the FWC up front, punching a hole in the air, almost any fairly low profile trailer should tow almost free.

I don’t see the need for two places to sleep. The van trailer could carry a lot more in the way of personal effects to make the full time life for a single dude quite comfortable. You will be going back and forth to the Philippines. The van will be a good place to store your stuff while gone.

Now, it would be interesting to read why you are choosing a teardrop, rather than a small Airstream, a restored Shasta, or other small trailer that is just as easy to tow as a teardrop with better accommodations. I assume you are looking at one of the new teardrops and not a vintage teardrop. So, tell us more about your teardrop choice and why. Traditionally, a teardrop is more or less a weekend trailer designed to go behind a small low powered automobile. With your truck, you have plenty of capacity to tow a larger trailer. I am sure you have your reasons and I would be most interested in your thinking.

John

Now, it would be interesting to read why you are choosing a teardrop, rather than a small Airstream, a restored Shasta, or other small trailer that is just as easy to tow as a teardrop with better accommodations. I assume you are looking at one of the new teardrops and not a vintage teardrop. So, tell us more about your teardrop choice and why. Traditionally, a teardrop is more or less a weekend trailer designed to go behind a small low powered automobile. With your truck, you have plenty of capacity to tow a larger trailer. I am sure you have your reasons and I would be most interested in your thinking.

John

Hi John,
Sounds like you've led an interesting life yourself. Are you familiar with Camp-Inn teardrops?:

http://www.tinycamper.com/

They're considered the Cadillac of teardrops. I especially like the air conditioner option. If you read my Oztent post you saw how I intend to use the teardrop with the tent. The FWC's sleeping area will be a place to store plastic bins that'll be on the floor during travel. Having the FWC kitchen will also come in handy when traveling. Having both campers gives me 30 gallons of water, extra batteries, 2 solar panels, plenty of storage space for groceries. Overall an excellent boondocking set-up. And it overall will be easier to move around with, cheaper too, than a large trailer or motorhome.

My current pickup is a 2000 F-150 extended cab longbed. I plan to cash out a pension plan to buy a new truck and the campers. There are some interesting pickup options coming out soon that, if they live up to what I've read, will make traveling more affordable. Will be interesting to see what FWC and others bring out to fit the new Mahindra pickup for example.

I really like Airstreams but they are heavy and expensive, even the small ones. My single favorite camper on the market is Northern Lite's 6'10" Lite model. But even it on a Ford Ranger is too close in height to possibly not be allowed into that tunnel to Real de Catorce. They turn away regular sized RV's. And it doesn't give me the overall capacities that the teardrop/FWC combo does.

That's it in a nutshell. If you are familiar with Adventure Trailers then it's the same concept, more or less, in reverse. In my scenario the truck camper supports the trailer. The FWC is excellent for taking off for a camping vacation by itself, but I also see it as an excellent support vehicle for other RV's for long term boondocking. Hope Stan doesn't mind!

Regards,
Wade

Wade,

You make very interesting posts. You are a creative dude and I want to go to Real de Cotorce too! I looked up the things you mentioned. Camp-Inn teardrops appear to be absolutely gorgeous. They are more like works of art than trailers.

I looked up Real de Catorce. There is a YouTube video of driving through Ogarrio tunnel. I could see places along the walls where vehicles had dragged.

Here is my thinking. Drive to the F-150 to Real de Catorce on a scouting trip first. Put a standard shell on the long bed F-150 and drive down for a short visit. After returning from the scouting trip, decide about your vehicles for the longer trip.

As an aside, one of the concepts I have learned from traveling all over this world it to keep a low profile while traveling, especially in a third world environment. Keep your personal effects in line with what the locals are using, or wearing. Be very polite, especially in Mexico, where the culture values polite speech and manners far more than we do in the United States. A well used F-150 towing nothing might help you fit in better with the locals.

Mahindra pickup; If you can get one, a Toyota Hilux would be the ticket.

Northern Lite makes a nice camper but you are right, it might not make it through the tunnel, or many other places. We take our FWC into parking garages, as in Las Vegas. It goes under a 6’10” clearance bar. Try that with a hard sided camper!

We have had this little utility trailer in our family since 1949. We have used it like an Adventure Trailer and I have posted pictures of it in Wander the West. We have a tent similar to the Oztent which we used with our 1979 Ford station wagon. A canopy went to the roof of the vehicle over the tail gate. Almost anything that one can think of has been tried camping, probably by the wagon train immigrants during the 1850s and before that.

Don’t buy ANYTHING expensive until you have been out there camping a while. If you need something, try WalMart first. The prime directive for a retired person is KEEP YOUR MONEY. _John D

Thanks for the good tips John. The more I look at FWC the more I like them. Google "Stillwell Ranch" for a place near Big Bend National Park that offers primitive camping for $5 a night and that includes a shower. With their store for supplies it's a nice set-up. I can buy 5 acres of desert near Terlingua, TX for $1000, sometimes less. Just a place to park, but annual taxes are less than $40 plus a $150 annual fee to Terlingua Ranch for road maintenance. It's AZ hot in the summer which is why I'm looking at a cool spot that's affordable like Real de Catorce. There's an internet cafe in R de C that broadcasts it's wi-fi signal throughout the town. They make their money renting out netbooks to visitors. You've probably read all this, but for others who haven't R de C has had a number of European expats move in, especially Italians, who've opened hotels and restaurants. There are actually more Italian restaurants than Mexican in town and the quality is supposed to be excellent at very reasonable prices. There's a nice hotel with large grounds on the edge of town that allows $5 a night camping with showers, or you can boondock in the desert around town for free. And Dish Network's footprint extends down past R de C so you can have satellite tv and Sirius satellite radio covers all of Mexico. A couple who visited R de C told in their blog how they bought 7 gorditas from a roadside stand for 30 pesos. That's less than $2.35 USD! And they were delicious. About 25 miles away is Matehuala, about 80,000 population, that has a Super Walmart and a very nice RV park near it. It's very safe in R de C too. The only downside I see is that the area is known for peyote cactus growing there naturally. You may see some interesting folk wandering around in the desert looking for it! An Indian tribe, the Huichol, comes there on an annual pilgrimage to harvest peyote. And devout Catholics swamp the town, something like 100,000 people, in early October for a tribute to St.Francis. If you've seen the movie "The Mexican" with Brad Pitt and Julia Roberts then you've seen Real de Catorce. And the only way to RV there is with a low profile camper like the FWC, to get through the 1.5 mile low hanging tunnel to town. Otherwise the town would be overrun with RV's being so close to the border, much more expensive and much less unique. Hope you make it there John! Wade

Thanks Ted, I think you saved me some money on an expensive jack system. I assumed with the aluminum frame it would be ok. Still, a great support system for what I want to do.

Floor isn't designed for it (one person can go inside a camper on jacks if you need to without harming it but its not meant for normal use) and also the corner aluminum metal isn't designed the take the rocking loads the jacks would impart with someone moving around inside. They designed the campers to be light and flex offroad while in a truck in mind.

Back
Top Bottom