Steens Mountain And Hart Mountain Antelope Refuge July 2009

No Hijack perceived :) (practicing my i before e except after c)

Yeah I rode it in one day. We didn't have to deal so much with accumulation as we did with driving winds and freezing cold. It was pretty brutal. At one point my buddy had to huddle under a space blanket for a while (which was funny because who even brings space blankets on a mountain bike ride - but he had the last laugh). On our way down, when the temperature starting rising with the lower elevations, we had to stop and hold our feet because it felt like we were walking on nails as our feet thawed out.

Quite the adventure.

Wow, great pictures of the Steens Mountain trip! I loved the picture of someone (dirty dog?) holding the fish!

Nice trip report. Too bad you had to mention the order of the antelope. I just spent an hour googling them which of course led into reading some fairly controversial reports of the management of that area. Very interesting.

Wow, great pictures of the Steens Mountain trip! I loved the picture of someone (dirty dog?) holding the fish!

No mother, that is Ryan holding the fish. You better not embarrass me :oops:

Awesome photos of the Steens area!!!! Oregon has some totally "cool" and "hot" locations for energizing for the good life!

Thank you Dirty Dog for sharing a bit of your great trip.

I used to do work with ONDA out of Bend Oregon. We spent a lot of time at Steens and Hart Mountain pulling out old fences to save the running Pronghorns from getting hung up. Very nice country up there. I have not explored nearby Sheldon National Wildlife Refuge but I hear it is wonderful as well.

I used to do work with ONDA out of Bend Oregon. We spent a lot of time at Steens and Hart Mountain pulling out old fences to save the running Pronghorns from getting hung up. Very nice country up there. I have not explored nearby Sheldon National Wildlife Refuge but I hear it is wonderful as well.

Yeah I remember when they were pulling out fence out there - that's cool that you participated Gene. I hope to spend some time in Sheldon NWR this year.

I'm curious on the condition of the Steens Mtn loop road? I've wanted to explore that area but am wondering if my '03 Subaru Outback has enough clearance for the road. Thanks for the insight.

I'm curious on the condition of the Steens Mtn loop road? I've wanted to explore that area but am wondering if my '03 Subaru Outback has enough clearance for the road. Thanks for the insight.

It's probably not open yet due to snow but when it is open it is suitable for passenger cars.

Back
Top Bottom