Steps and storage in one

JHanson

We needed some moderately sized storage boxes to strap down in the back of our FWC, one to hold recovery gear, another to hold the things we need to pitch camp, like the drain hose for the galley sink, leveling blocks, stakes and guy lines for the awning, etc., and a third to hold boots and, occasionally, firewood. We also wanted a set of steps to access the camper. I used three cases originally designed as ammo boxes for the South African military, and added aluminum diamondplate to two of them. They work perfectly:

9044429181_31dab433b5_z.jpg

More about them here.

Thanks for the info on the storage boxes. While en route, are the boxes strapped down? If so, how? I'm looking for a better strapped storage boxes.

Thanks for this post Johnathan. We have been looking for a better entry solution than our little step ladder and these boxes might just be the ticket.

If you only need one step, this stool/tool box works pretty good. Can buy at Ace Hardware or Lowe's.

pACE3-14745699enh-z7.jpg

Regarding the ratchet strap tie-downs: I used these, from Mac's Tie Downs, installed on the fronts of the dinette seats above the shower grate:

9163280192_6e3f0747f5_c.jpg

The ring snaps out in a second if you don't need it, leaving a nearly flush and non-shin-barking base:

9161058871_493fc3b76e_c.jpg

They're quite strong and easy to install (captive nuts on a stainless steel backing plate). I use them to secure the fridge in my Land Cruiser, and many other applications as well.

Back
Top Bottom