Stock Tire Size E Rating

Hi I run a 1998 Chev 1/2 Ton. with stock E rated tires and air bags.stock everything else. I use 4wd frequently to get where I need to go. Always over weight no problems. 120000 km from Alberta to Baja 4 times. I am a middle class dude who wants to retire early ( Read not wealthy) So I am very careful to determine needs from wants. 350000km on this truck. No real problems with suspension. Door handles are another story . I think you will be fine with your rig and you can save some money abstaining from a new whiz banger heavy duty truck.

this said when I need a new truck I may as well get a 3/4 ton or greater.

I would endorse a sway bar though … even My air bags don’t prevent sway.

I put on the smaller 275/70 17 Toyo's and love them already! No more rubbing in the front and the narrower tire actually feels more responsive on the road. I feel way lighter on my feet and already seeing almost 1 MPG gain in just the one day they have been installed. I even think they make the truck look a little "tougher" with some space around the tires in the wheel well.

Cpt Davenport said:
I do not intend on "off roading" my camper rig.
In that case I'd very strongly suggest street tread, Look at Michelin Defenders and Nitto Duragrapplers.

rruff said:
In that case I'd very strongly suggest street tread, Look at Michelin Defenders and Nitto Duragrapplers.
Thanks but I'm already running the smaller Toyos and they have been awesome. I guess my definition of "off roading" might be different than others. In the month that I have owned the camper, I have been on several back country, severely rutted dirt roads, all over the beach and through several river crossings. I save the "off roading" for mudding and rock crawling and hill climbs in my Blazer and believe me, you are hanging on for dear life. :) Toyos are working great so far on the camper in a variety of conditions.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom