Stockton Ca to Fort Townsend WA in May for 2 weeks

billharr

Going to Fort Townsend WA to see friends in May for 2 weeks. Not sure if I will go up the coast going up or coming back, depends on the weather forecast. I have checked freecampsites.net and see one nice site out of Fort Bragg
http://freecampsites.net/camp-one/
My last trip all the way up to WA was in 1977 in a 56 GMC one ton with a chassis mount cabover. The Tundra with the Hawk will be a lot better ride.

What are your must see sights? Any where you have boon-docked or camp sites you have enjoyed.

:)
I'm not sure, but I think you need to stop by CDF and get a permit for those CGs; I've driven by them for years and when I went in to check them out, you needed a permit stay there. First impression of the CG's is cold, dark and wet, maybe this is not the time of the year to stop there, but it would not hurt to check them and get a list of where these camps are! If you want a nice and either fast or slow trip north, head west for SF and Point Reyes NS and follow HW 1 north to Bodega Bay, Point Arena, Elk, Narvaro SP, Mendiceno, Fort Bragg, and my favorite, Westport Union SB, then follow 1 over to 101 and points North. Check out the recent threads and the Gallery pictures on that run, the trip can be as slow or fast as you like, lots to see, wine to drink, good eats and unfortunately, $25-35/day State CG and much cheaper Fed CG's and it could be your last chance to see some of the coast and Redwood State Parks and Beaches before they close in August! You can take the coast routes most of way north to Ft T-lot's to see and do-oh, if you are on 101 stop at Scotia, sort of a interesting place.

Have Fun!
Smoke

Bill this sounds like a great trip. The Port Townsend area is beautiful.
A lot depends on how much travel time you are allowing and which part of the month you are talking about. But, if you are going to be east of Interstate 5, the waterfalls in the Columbia Gorge should be spectacular and central Oregon has a pretty high wow factor. I don't have any specific free campsites to recommend, but BLM and the national forests lands are options depending on your needs, your route, your time frame and how far you want to stray from a direct path. Oregon State parks are clean, scenic and fairly convenient. Most if not all have hiking trails and some are just off beautiful beaches. The ocean beaches in Oregon are public property and you can camp on some of them. Be careful doing that.
Enjoy.

great place to stop--sol duc hot springs. top of olympic national park(near port angeles,wa.)beautiful nat. park campground in old growth rain forest on sol duc river.hot springs resort 1/4 mile walk across river.it's the best of both worlds. to bad we'll miss you. we'll be up there on 18th of april for 4 days.have a good trip.

caseboy

Columbia gorge looks like a spot we will hit on the trip have never been there. May take in Crater Lake on the way it has been almost 30 years from the last trip there.

Thank for the tips.

If you are going from I-5 (Roseburg) to Crater Lake or vica versa, and in need of a shower... Susan Creek State Campground is a great place for an overnight stop. There is also a nice little set of cascade waterfalls (Susan Creek Falls) on the north side of Hwy 138, up Susan Creek Road, within a mile of the campground.

Hwy 138 at Roseburg, about 30 miles east from Roseburg, or about 65 miles northwest from Crater Lake (downhill almost all the way to the campground, which is on the south side of the road).

And, the N. Umpqua Highway (Hwy 138) is one of the most beautiful drives in the great state of Oregon, almost all the way, right next to the Umpqua River.

Campsite #14 (I think).

DSC01122.jpg

Columbia gorge looks like a spot we will hit on the trip have never been there. May take in Crater Lake on the way it has been almost 30 years from the last trip there.

The Columbia River Gorge is world-class scenic, in my opinion -- really, as scenic as a lot of national parks.
Drive along the historic old highway for the most-scenic stretch (rather than I-84, which it parallels). Along the old highway, stop at Crown Point Overlook for sure...and check out the various tall-and-skinny waterfalls, several very near the road.

Columbia-River-Highway.jpg

Of course, Crater Lake is also world-class scenic and unique -- Oregon's only National Park!
smile.gif

Back
Top Bottom