Stopbit's Camper Build Thread

Stopbit

Picked up the camper in Reno, NV and made the drive back to AZ stopping for a night's rest at some rest stop that had RV parking. Posted some photo's on my blog site (http://stopbit.blogspot.com/).

camper%2520011.jpg

Nice.

So, what do you think of the super springs and the camper on your Ranger?

The setup worked really well except for a little bouncy at times which I think means I need to get some heavy duty shocks. Didn't notice any sway even in the high winds and the v6 Ranger had more than enough power to keep me at 65+ even going up the mountains.

No sink? Decided to go without a water tank too?

Ya, going to just use a Aqua-Tainer 7 Gallon Rigid Water Container and always have my MSR MiniWorks microfilter and MSR Dromedary bag for backup.

So had the roof replaced by local RV repair shop about 6 weeks ago due to hail damage. Got back from long work trip (without camper) out of town, pop up camper and find this. There must be a leak still and now it appears I will have to replace back panel and mattress due to water damage. I was not able to push the top all the way up with out some one lifting the back up at the same time. Hoping it is only due to some warping of the wood on back panel. Will try and fight with insurance company and RV shop to fix this but not sure how much trust I have in shop at this point.

Attachments

• dmg1.jpg
    dmg1.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 135
  • dmg2.jpg
    dmg2.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 147
  • dmg3.jpg
    dmg3.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 142
  • dmg4.jpg
    dmg4.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 135
I would suggest you take that to FWC and perhaps you could have them upgrage you to the composite lift panels as part of the repair- I would guess that "most" RV repair shops don't see very many FWC- good luck- great looking set-up

Just waiting for the insurance company to get back to me, it almost seems like they may make it a total loss because of mold and no local shops able to make the repair. Would probably be a non issue if FWC wasn't 1750 miles away from me. I have talked with FWC and they don't even make the wood panels anymore so upgrade to composite is a sure thing. All I really need if mattress and rear lift panel replaced and I would be as good as new since roof was already replaced by local shop with parts from FWC.

Sadly a lot of RV shops don't know what it takes to "service" a pop up, especially an FWC or don't want to take the time. When you type the roof was replaced do you mean the top skin was replaced with the newer one piece roof?

If the mold is localized to the lifting panels (and vinyl liner} and the insurance company totals it - then let's you keep it...It might be worth the cost to ship it to FWC to fix it as it still has a lot of years left in it.

I don't know about shipping it, but certainly getting the panel from FWC (or ATC) would be a good idea. Cleaning the mold off the vinyl won't be fun but shouldn't be that hard. Panels are a bit of work but we have all the instructions here.

Mine is a 2012 which already had the one piece roof skin, which is what was replaced already. If I actually get the money from the insurance company that would cover the 3200 mile trip I will have FWC do the repair. The mold really didn't get to the vinyl just mattress and rear lift panel.

Back
Top Bottom