Storage behind turnbuclke doors?

LiveLifeNow

Advanced Member
Today, when loading a 2004 Hawk on my Silverado 2500HD (with the kind and expert cooperation of the former owner who is a member of this list) I noticed there is a lot of space available behind the turnbuckle doors, between the sides of the truck bed and the camper.

What do people store in this space? I don't suppose it is good for food, as small critters could access it by crawling along the risers or down the small gap between the camper and the bed sides.

So far, I'm storing shower hoses and inside shower drain pan hose. If I can design the shower head support arm to fit, that will stay there also. If its short and straight, it will most likely stay there.

I store things in the turnbuckle doors according to need.
The tire chains go in the left front ,caned goods and other sealed food items go in right rear.
Tire things,truck jack,lug wrench other tools ,1# propane bottles,12v air compressor ,things I might need quickly go in left rear.
Front right not much as the truck electrical connection is there and don't want items there to move into that connection,mostly some soft items.
I make as much use of the space as possible.
Since I have a Bobcat on a Tundra there is a bit more room than a Bobcat on a Ranger/Tacoma.
And I try to writ down what went where.
Frank

Stalking Light said:
I keep tow straps, shackles and other things I don't mind getting wet there.

Charlie

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

Yup..the items that SL listed...nothing that can't take freezing or getting wet..

Only caution is to make certain nothing can move forward of front shackle [can't retrieve items] or rear of rear shackle [not much space to escape out of the truck bed, but....]..

I also consider if the bouncing around off road will abrade/damage the bottom or sides of the Hawk since the truck bed can pin stuff against the camper...

Recently added tarp and collapsible 5 gallon bucket..will consider more stuff to stash there as time goes on.

Phil

I have the same setup and while I don't store anything back there, when we get to camp I'll throw a couple beers in there to keep 'em cold and ready to go! :)

I freed up almost all my back seat storage by moving stuff there . And up under all the space on the Silverado , between the inner and outer wall of the pickup bed.
I used some old kayaking dry bags to put tools, air compressor, recovery gear,etc ,etc inside the pickup bed. ( we' ll see how they hold up on a couple of month road trip).
I hung an electrical cord, jumper cables, sand mats, white hose, etc ( either covered up or stuff didn't mind getting real dirty) between the bed walls. Will have to see how much rock damage I get in there.
Just checking to see how this works, until have enough incentive to get a flat bed with boxes. Or start carving into the existing bed and making boxes somehow to utilize all that space. Seems like a good, albeit small market for a creative sheet metal worker- body man.

We put firewood in the gap sometimes. Usually fractional wood cut offs from a construction site. Packs well, chop it up with a hatchet.. Big enough not to slide under the camper while traveling should things get sporty

Sometimes it's nice to draw air in through those openings. Turn your fans to blow out, open the tie down doors on the shady side of truck while closing all other windows/doors.. Draws the cool air in from your truck bed, usually bug free.. Cave man camper AC!

TT

Tomas Tierra said:
We put firewood in the gap sometimes. Usually fractional wood cut offs from a construction site. Packs well, chop it up with a hatchet.. Big enough not to slide under the camper while traveling should things get sporty

Sometimes it's nice to draw air in through those openings. Turn your fans to blow out, open the tie down doors on the shady side of truck while closing all other windows/doors.. Draws the cool air in from your truck bed, usually bug free.. Cave man camper AC!

TT

Love it! "Caveman AC"...good plan will try it..thanks.

Phil

I haven't stored anything in the turnbuckle doors, but I'll have to try it. My brother told me he stores pieces of wood (for leveling) and rags in there. Seems like the rags would get dirty or wet. I just checked and there is definitely room for a 6-pack or more of beer cans behind each rear turnbuckle door. I'm always looking for a place to temporarily put various grocery items, so I'll keep it in mind.

Allanb reminds me of something I've been intrigued with for a while: utilizing the empty spaces between the side of the truck bed and the outside wall. It's not readily accessible, without crawling under the truck, so I've tried to think of something that wouldn't require access. What I came up with was gray water tanks. I would love to have as much gray water storage as clean water (20 gallons in my Fleet). Could you put a 5-gallon tank in at each corner in the space between the body and bed wall? Maybe plastic jerry cans? They would have to be hooked together with pipes or hoses. Is this a crazy idea? Has anyone tried such a thing?

- Bernard

No reason it wouldn't work. Use, maybe, 1"plastic hose with a valve and or connector on each end, to drain or hook up to camper when loading on to truck. May have to use some kind of flexible water bag to get up into the space.
Just gave me an idea how to get my blocks up in there. Was trying today to get them in today, in one big bag. But may break them up into groups small enough to bolt on,,humm. Will post pics when finish back seat storage

Bag of cat litter (home made port a potty); hiking poles; tire chains; home-made awning poles; hose for outside sink drain.

Yukon said:
Bag of cat litter (home made port a potty)...
Cat litter can also be used to improve traction when stuck in the snow...

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

Hello all
I can't go out side to look at our camper as of yet, I've only seen the access for turnbuckles a couple time and was wondering how some of the items mentioned get thru these openings. are some of these access panels much larger than the ones I've seen. I like the venting idea, and really glad won't have diapers. Also like the grey water setup, but will wait to use the camper some first.
Thanks Russ

Back
Top Bottom