Storage Lids Under Rollover Bed

David_h

Advanced Member
When I access the two storage bins under the seat cushion, I usually hold the lid open with my head if it is a quick grab of an item. The lids do not stay open by themselves because the hinges are set far back under the seat back. How do you keep the lid open? I'm thinking about looking for a "c" clip of spring steel or ? to secure the open lid to the seat back.
Dave H.
Mill Valley, Ca
06 Hawk, 05 F150 4x4 Lariat Supercrew.

Great question!
It annoys me, too. What you suggest sounds like a solution.
I haven't done anything yet, but I've always assumed I'd just attach a loop of some sort under each lid (with hefty staples, maybe) and then use a bungie to hook the loop with the other end of the bungie connected to the camper wall...or something like that.

A related issue -- annoyance -- is that there are two lids underneath one long cushion...so I have to clear the whole cushion of "stuff" (stuff there because I'm a slob) just to open one lid. I'm thinking of cutting the cushion into two pieces so only one cushion has to lift in order to open one lid. Of course, I don't have any upholstery skills, so either I do a crappy job myself or pay someone to re-cover the two cushions.

Cutting the long cushion into 2 will cause the aft one to slide around. The front is pinned in place still by the center front wall cushion.

You will need to use hook and loop tape on your cushion bottoms and lid tops to keep them in place. This will become an annoyance also, since pulling them apart frequently can tear the upholstery over time unless you maintain the thick vinyl bottom. I experienced this on my full size camper dinette cusions.

You might be trading one annoyance for another :).

What I did to keep to hatches open was to install a spring support used in the marine industry. The have hinges on both ends, the springs bend when closed, after rising the hatch the spring extends straight and supports the hatch open. To close you bend the spring and the hatch closes. You can buy these hatch supports thru West Marine or any marine supply. Very easy to install, makes loading the under seat storage a breeze. I have also wanted to split my cushion to aid the access into the under seat storage, but will live with the full cushion at this time.

The hatch supports are not too expensive and will make life easier while loading the goods to go camping. Any questions? Send me PM if you can not find these supports online. I also added these supports to the right wall cabinets which open upward, they free up the extra hand when putting or retrieving something from cabinet.

The supports are made by Whitecap.

I also find it's inconvenient to access the storage under the bench for the above named reasons. (Add this to this list, Stan ;) ) Those spring hinges sound very interesting, Fish More. Could you provide a link on this thread?

Lighthawk,

Check out this web site "Bo'sun Supplies". They have drawings of the spring supports. Use the 7/16 x 81/2" supports w/cable. The cable limits the spring from extending too far. The model you want is Item# L4172-0045-3 w/fixed ends and cable. When mounting a little work is needed to prevent the springs from binding when closing the hatches. You have to make sure you have enough clearance for the spring. Once you receive the supports and go to install, you will see that they are a simple design and work great. Do not buy anything larger than the 7/16, anything larger would be overkill. One of the best mods I made to the interior of the Hawk. You could use small gas struts also, but gas struts will loose internal pressure over time, the springs will never wear out.
If you surf the web you will find several sources for these supports. Also as posted in my first post, Westmarine, in Rocklin also carry these supports.

Any question, send me PM

Jim

Lighthawk,

Check out this web site "Bo'sun Supplies". They have drawings of the spring supports. Use the 7/16 x 81/2" supports w/cable. The cable limits the spring from extending too far. The model you want is Item# L4172-0045-3 w/fixed ends and cable. When mounting a little work is needed to prevent the springs from binding when closing the hatches. You have to make sure you have enough clearance for the spring. Once you receive the supports and go to install, you will see that they are a simple design and work great. Do not buy anything larger than the 7/16, anything larger would be overkill. One of the best mods I made to the interior of the Hawk. You could use small gas struts also, but gas struts will loose internal pressure over time, the springs will never wear out.
If you surf the web you will find several sources for these supports. Also as posted in my first post, Westmarine, in Rocklin also carry these supports.

Any question, send me PM

Jim

Thanks Jim! I was just down in Rocklin yesterday by coincidence.

I found the site you mentioned:

Bo'sun Supplies

Attachments

• L4172.jpg
    L4172.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 232
Here's my two cents: I ended up replacing the bed with a dinette, but I had several variations along the way. I suggest you consider just removing the lids and let the couch be the lid.

Regarding the use of brackets, I'd be concerned that they would interfere with the removal of items from the storage areas, since I've got stuff packed in there pretty tightly. I recently had a moving company move some furniture and they used a "door jamb protector" that utilized metal clips. Such as:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200381612_200381612

I am tempted to order one of these and carefully remove the three metal clips to hold open the camper storage lids; and I could use the moving blanket around the house/garage. The dimensions of the clips seems about right.

Dave H
Mill Valley, CA
06 Hawk

I installed the spring supports on the outside edges of the openings. They do not get in the way of loading or unloading items from the compartment. The nice thing is you do not have to install or remove anything when getting things out or putting things in the compartment, this elimates having to carry any more loose items in your camper. The guys in the shop at FWC thought they worked great to hold open the compartment lids.

All you have to do is bend the spring and the compartment lids close !!

Some time back someone posted about a mod on this subject. They installed those hinges that are used on childrens toy boxes. These would hold the lid open while rummaging about. I'm sorry I can't recall the post or what these hinges are called. I'm sure they can be be found at any home center. This is on my list of mods I never got around to doing.

Mike

I installed the spring supports on the outside edges of the openings. They do not get in the way of loading or unloading items from the compartment. The nice thing is you do not have to install or remove anything when getting things out or putting things in the compartment, this elimates having to carry any more loose items in your camper. The guys in the shop at FWC thought they worked great to hold open the compartment lids.

All you have to do is bend the spring and the compartment lids close !!

Your description almost has me convinced as the way to go! I have several boxes of gear in the storage that I need to lift straigt up sometimes, even along the outside edge of the storage openings. Do you have any pics of your installation?
Thanks
Dave H
Mill Valley, Ca
06 Hawk

It took a couple of days, but my husband installed drawers under the seat. He used the board that supported the bed and cut it into 4 sections. Three of those became the front of the drawers; the fourth became a pull-out front to access the potty (against the front wall). Using aluminum L-frames and thin plywood, he built the sides of the drawers and made separations and slides for the drawers. A magnet at the back to hold it in and matching wood handles on the front and these were ready to go. I feel (almost) guilty pulling the drawers out, knowing so many people are wrestling with the cushions. Sue

Back
Top Bottom