Storage options in a FLEET...I need some ideas.

shear

So I'm getting a new 2014 Fleet for my Tacoma and am most nervous about room for storage. I'm going to be picking it up while on the road...so building anything isn't an option either. We will have the side dinette and the stove/furnace. I haven't been in one first-hand and just know what it looks like from the pics. My old set up had a platform with storage all under the bed and a thule box on top that holds all of my climbing gear. The back seat of the truck is devoted to my dog and is his little zone (made it into a big bed for him and his food is stored underneath.

Thanks!

I save a lot of room by using my hiking stuff as it is light compact and to the point (nesting pots etc.) Everything I buy for the camper is specifically for the camper. Equipment is some times stored in Rubbermaid containers and kept out side or on the front seat of the truck. They are water proof. I use three small duffle bags for my clothes to stay organized.

Yesterday, I cleaned out the FWC to get ride of those things I was not using. I use a fishing lure box - the square transparent ones - to organize the small stuff.

Only take what you absolutely need.

I also use a cargo carrier with a front receiver hitch.

I am sure the WTW members will have lots of great ideas-

shear said:
So I'm getting a new 2014 Fleet for my Tacoma and am most nervous about room for storage. I'm going to be picking it up while on the road...so building anything isn't an option either. We will have the side dinette and the stove/furnace. I haven't been in one first-hand and just know what it looks like from the pics. My old set up had a platform with storage all under the bed and a thule box on top that holds all of my climbing gear. The back seat of the truck is devoted to my dog and is his little zone (made it into a big bed for him and his food is stored underneath.

Thanks!
As said by Ramblinman, try to just go with the basics. It's hard to not feel you have to take all sorts of stuff.
That said there is actually a good bit of storage area in the camper.
I have an ATC Bobcat which is basically the same size as your fleet. There's just the wife and I so no animals to find room for. I did convert the rear seat area of my 02 Tundra AC for storage and a plug in Truckfridge.
With the dog already using that space you will have to work with the camper space.
I have used the plastic file drawers to add storage a small one on the front ledge right side and a two drawer one in the middle under the front window that is also handy to step down onto when getting out of bed.
Oh I also have a side dinette..
You can use the tie down access for things you don't use much.
I don't know if some of the posts I did are still available to search.
If you would like I could take some pictures and post them on this thread.
Frank

Shear,
When you get your camper home and lay out your gear, it will be easier to organize it. More small containers work better than large ones. It took us about 5 trips of adding and subtracting to find what works.

Water containers are a challenge. Off-grid we take 12 gallons of water got a week. Developed campgrounds - 2 - 1 gal because water is at the camp......An assortment of 1,2.5 , and 3 gal containers work best.

Consider NOT cooking in it because the " odors" can penetrate the fabric and " linger".........
We cook outside on a Colman 2 - burner propane stove. More room outside.

Since you have the roll over couch you have storage under the couch cushions. Behind the back rest place soft items in canvass tote ( L.L. Bean) or dry food. My friend took off the back rest from his Hawk . Put storage boxes against side wall. Pillows leaning against them for couch back rests.

Shear, My dog rides in the back of the cab on one side as well. Could you do a drawer system like this on the other side? DSCN0109.JPG
I have another dozen or so storage mods I did on my mod thread here: http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/7599-2003-eagle-on-03-tundra-lots-of-mods/

Back
Top Bottom