Stove for Inside/Outside

Rob in MT

Is there a portable stove that you can (safely) use to cook inside the camper? Thanks for your help.

Butane. I use them for my catering company when i had to set up different stations.
You can get them single or double burners.

Make sure you have good ventilation inside the camper if you are cooking with butane.

I don't know what it is, but someone told me a while back it is not as safe as using propane ?

I not sure why, and I'm not even sure i'm right, but I don't think butane burns as clean as the propane ?

It might produce more carbon monoxide than a normal RV propane stove ?

Someone please chime in if you have any more info.

I tried to do a quick web search, but didn't find anything useful for data.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is there a portable stove that you can (safely) use to cook inside the camper? Thanks for your help.

When I talked to a fire marshal some years back; Restaurants and Catering services are checked periodically for obvious reasons; I was told that Butane is allowed indoors while Propane is not.
Butane is not classified as a toxic gas and therefore can be stored indoors and it burns very cleanly. Butane usually comes in a cartridge and does not require a secondary hose to connect to the stove.

I have never seen a propane stove used inside in any of the caterings or buffets I attended over my life as a chef over 25 years. Never; in all the countries I worked; and there are quite a few.

We use propane outside for grills; stoves etc since it burns hotter than butane; but always outside.
Butane is also more efficient ;not that that matters. The main draw back with butane is that it freezes and at high altitude it is hard to get a good flame.

Again, I'm not really sure ?

Just throwing my 2 cents in there.

I was thinking more of how most truck camper manufacturers, travel trailers, and RV's use propane stoves inside as standard equipment.

I have not seen an RV company offering a butane stove in a truck camper ?

I think the propane stoves we use in the campers and the propane regulator, make it a bit cleaner burning on propane ?

Not sure ?

Yes, you are right. I would never use a portable propane camping stove inside a building.

Butane seems to be better for cooking inside a restaraunt or big open spaces.

But that is usually done in a big open environment with lost of air.

Burning a butane stove in a small camper that is closed up to fresh air, might not be the best idea.

I'm just saying it would be a good idea to allow for some good ventalation when cooking inside a camper with any gas type method.

Better to be a little on the safer side, rather than sorry.

Shoot ... HERR42 almost ran out of oxygen in his camper with 3 big guys just breathing all night

:)

Again, I'm not really sure ?

Just throwing my 2 cents in there.

I was thinking more of how most truck camper manufacturers, travel trailers, and RV's use propane stoves inside as standard equipment.

I have not seen an RV company offering a butane stove in a truck camper ?

I think the propane stoves we use in the campers and the propane regulator, make it a bit cleaner burning on propane ?

Not sure ?

Yes, you are right. I would never use a portable propane camping stove inside a building.

Butane seems to be better for cooking inside a restaraunt or big open spaces.

But that is usually done in a big open environment with lost of air.

Burning a butane stove in a small camper that is closed up to fresh air, might not be the best idea.

I'm just saying it would be a good idea to allow for some good ventalation when cooking inside a camper with any gas type method.

Better to be a little on the safer side, rather than sorry.

Shoot ... HERR42 almost ran out of oxygen in his camper with 3 big guys just breathing all night

We are talking about PORTABLE stoves; not built in ones. At least that is what OP asked.
And yes; it is just common sense to vent a small enclosed area when cooking.

I use a butane restaurant burner in my Pleasureway Traverse more often than the built in two burner propane cooktop. I've used them far more often than any other type of cooktop for vehicle based camping. If I ordered a new rig from an outfit like FWC or Sportsmobile I'd order it without a stove so I could use a portable and inexpensive butane burner (although I'd still get a propane system for a vented furnace). I ALWAYS VENT in an enclosed space when cooking no matter what I'm using (and keep things away from flammables).

I would have no problem using a portable propane stove inside my camper if the stove wasn't there. Just be sure you have plenty of ventilation. But you should be doing that anyway to keep moisture and strong cooking odors down. Butane works well in warmer climates, and is a bit cleaner burning than propane. Butane has a problem though. If you plan to use a butane stove outside in the colder weather it produces less heat as it gets colder. Something to do with the gas's boiling temp. I've used butane stoves backpacking and really loved the ease and clean burning characteristics of the stove. That all changed the first winter camp I did. I had to keep the butane cans in my pocket or sleeping bag with me to keep them warm, then had to wrap clothes around the can while using it to get enough pressure to cook my food. Also butane can be harder to find when you are out and about. Propane is almost everywhere.
John

We are talking about PORTABLE stoves; not built in ones.

But...what is the difference? I have a Coleman portable propane stove and the systems and burners and flame don't look significantly different than what's built into my FWC. In what way is a "portable" propane stove different from a built in one, and what about that difference makes it unsafe for indoor use while a "built in" is safe?

I don't know what the facts are, so I'm not in a position to say one way or the other -- I'm asking.
smile.gif

Does anyone know -- for sure -- why a Coleman propane stove (for example) shouldn't be used indoors (if that's true)?
--------------
Update: OK, I found a CO and Propane link...which doesn't saying anything about outdoor/indoor, but it gives some good facts about propane combustion and carbon monoxide.

From what I've now read, it looks like the main reason butane is used for portable catering stoves is that you don't need a heavy-walled tank/cartridge because liquid butane in a tank is at lower pressure than liquid propane.
Propane isn't actually any more toxic than butane. The reason why we worry about a gas leak (besides explosion) is that the gas displaces the oxygen from the room, so we suffocate...but not because the gas poisons us.

In reading various posts/articles on the web in the past hour about portable-propane-stove-indoors I saw lots of "warning" posts about "don't do it -- CO!", and I also read posts from people who said "it's fine if you have enough ventilation".
But...ventilation is "required" for use of the built-in propane stove in the FWC -- it says so right inside the cover, so I don't see how that's any different than requiring ventilation for a portable propane stove.
blink.gif

So, the way I understand the chemistry, if you have plenty of oxygen, propane will burn clean, with minimum production of CO. If there isn't enough oxygen, CO is a byproduct of the combustion. This means it is ventilation that counts (especially at high altitude).

I too can't see the difference between a portable stove and a permanently mounted one as long as you have enough oxygen (and a CO monitor).

I don't know either ?

Our dealer from Canada is down visiting right now.

He said most RVs in Europe use Butane for the stove, not propane.

So it must be ok to use indoors.

I think the information I got awhile back was wrong.

He has a newer VW Camper Van over there (maybe a 2004 pop-up model) and I think he said it has a butane stove in it.

Guess I learned something.

But...what is the difference? I have a Coleman portable propane stove and the systems and burners and flame don't look significantly different than what's built into my FWC. In what way is a "portable" propane stove different from a built in one, and what about that difference makes it unsafe for indoor use while a "built in" is safe?

I don't know what the facts are, so I'm not in a position to say one way or the other -- I'm asking.
smile.gif

Does anyone know -- for sure -- why a Coleman propane stove (for example) shouldn't be used indoors (if that's true)?
--------------

It has to do with the physical connection of the stove.
A propane stove built in by the manufacturer has a solid connection to the tank. No quick disconnects are allowed inside an RV. So a portable stove needs to be connected to a bottle and therefore a potential leak could develop.

The portable butane stove has a cartridge which eliminated the connection.

Semi- off topic, but might help nevertheless...

I tried to connect my *outdoor* Coleman Stove to my regulated propane line in the camper with a hose by eliminating the little regulator that screws into the little bottle. The stove would sort of light, but I couldn't get anything more than a sputtering flame. Apparently, the Coleman stove wants higher gas pressure than the cook top in the camper.

I was able to modify my old Little Buddy heater this way to run off the camper's regulated LPG, so there might be something important about regulated pressure for 'inside' LPG appliances?

It has to do with the physical connection of the stove.
A propane stove built in by the manufacturer has a solid connection to the tank. No quick disconnects are allowed inside an RV. So a portable stove needs to be connected to a bottle and therefore a potential leak could develop.

The portable butane stove has a cartridge which eliminated the connection.

Don't doubt you on this but I guess a leak could develop anywhere. I'm in the process of setting up a quick disconnect for my Wave 3 for in my trailer :eek:

No quick disconnects are allowed inside an RV.

Really? I didn't know that...
blink.gif

But still...propane pressure downstream of the pressure regulator (which is just a few inches downstream from my tank) is so very low, 0.4psi (11" w.c.), that it's not that challenging to keep it inside what it's supposed to be inside, compared to, say, shop compressed air (at > 100psi).

I'm in the process of setting up a quick disconnect for my Wave 3 for in my trailer :eek:

I, too, included a quick disconnect to in my Wave-to-camper-propane-system...but I also included a shut-off valve just upstream of the the quick-disconnect: belt-and-suspenders.
biggrin.gif

I, too, included a quick disconnect to in my Wave-to-camper-propane-system...but I also included a shut-off valve just upstream of the the quick-disconnect: belt-and-suspenders.
biggrin.gif

I got a valve as well :) I am also re-doing the Wave set up in my FWC. I had it on flexible propane line but I learned that stuff isn't supposed to be flex repeatedly so I have new and better hose!

smile.gif

--------------
Update: OK, I found a CO and Propane link...which doesn't saying anything about outdoor/indoor, but it gives some good facts about propane combustion and carbon monoxide.

From what I've now read, it looks like the main reason butane is used for portable catering stoves is that you don't need a heavy-walled tank/cartridge because liquid butane in a tank is at lower pressure than liquid propane.
Propane isn't actually any more toxic than butane. The reason why we worry about a gas leak (besides explosion) is that the gas displaces the oxygen from the room, so we suffocate...but not because the gas poisons us.

In reading various posts/articles on the web in the past hour about portable-propane-stove-indoors I saw lots of "warning" posts about "don't do it -- CO!", and I also read posts from people who said "it's fine if you have enough ventilation".
But...ventilation is "required" for use of the built-in propane stove in the FWC -- it says so right inside the cover, so I don't see how that's any different than requiring ventilation for a portable propane stove.
blink.gif

Thanks for the into. It is one of the best explanations about the difference.

Thanks for the into. It is one of the best explanations about the difference.

I use the Snow Peak Baja burner in my FlipPac, uses iso-butane and works great

A propane stove built in by the manufacturer has a solid connection to the tank. No quick disconnects are allowed inside an RV.

I'm curious where you got this information from as tent trailers and travel trailers have been using quick disconnects for years and still do.

I'm curious where you got this information from as tent trailers and travel trailers have been using quick disconnects for years and still do.

Are they 'inside' the units though?

Back
Top Bottom