Strong taste of plastic in water from tank

White 21 said:
I have a similar problem with the plastic taste. On mine if I run the water for a few minutes the water tastes better. Seems like it might not be my tank or the the filling hose but the water lines from the tank to the faucet and shower. Mine is a late 2022 but I am not ready to open it up to replace the hose lines.
I came into this thread to say the exact same thing, and found that it was covered. For me, it seems to be the lines between tank, pump, and faucet that are the issue. If I flush the line, the water immediately after is good, and I don't have a noticeable taste for the rest of the trip if I'm using the faucet on a fairly regular basis. If the faucet goes unused 24+ hours, then it may need flushing again.

Mine develops the taste faster than yours. Could be mine hasn't been used as much as yours. I wonder if folks with older campers eventually get rid of the taste.

Trying to see the hose lines under the counter is difficult but I think the pressure lines are the stainless steel wrapped ones. May be possible to replace those with PEX or something.

My system is much better this year (year 4 since new) than it was last year. I’m thinking one of my treatments early last year (leaving chlorine mix in too long, or vinegar) damaged the inside of the PVC flex lines making them continue to release afterwards offending molecules of some kind, and enough time has now passed that the inside of the lines now has a chemically stable layer again. It still tastes/smells a little plasticky when I taste a room temperature cup from a tank loaded a few days earlier, but that’s a huge improvement over last year when anything I washed, including myself, would stink of plastic afterwards.

I will go easy on the chlorine and not use vinegar again.

Update after my last couple of trips:

While mine is better than it was at its worst as I described above, the plastic smell was still noticeable when washing dishes and showering. I’m starting to plan for a replacement of all the lines either with new flex lines or with Pex type A this winter.

I have a Grandby front dinette model. Much of the system is accessible, but I’m sure I’ll have to do some disassembly of cabinetry and removal of some components. As I get into it I’ll do a thread with photos, but it won’t be until November or so. I still have a couple more trips planned before I pull the camper off the truck.

Back
Top Bottom