Successful Maiden Trip

Dphillip

We had a very successful first trip in our new Hawk. We learned a lot and generally had a great time. I was very pleased with the Firestone airbags, only 35 pounds of air brought the truck back up to normal operating level. A rear view camera is the next purchase as I can't get a good view of the trailer when towing. If a trailer wheel bearing or tire was to fail I'd never know it. image.jpg

Nice setup. As you may know mine is almost identical (including the bike trailer). The Firestone bags are great. If you travel light you should be just within your payload even while towing the bike.

You read dozen of threads say 3/4 tons and 1 tons are needed, but this is evidence that it's not necessarily true.
That truck has plenty of power and brakes.

Sorry I don't want to turn this into a payload thread, short of the fact the we can say nana nana nana :p

Have fun. Make the most of summer!

Good point on the drop hitch, looks like the trailer nose could come down some.

Our trip was just a weekend jaunt to a local state park. Nothing glamorous for the first time out. We did however receive a lot if attention at the campground. Not very many 4WC in Nebraska.

I did weigh the truck and camper minus the trailer and came in at 6520 pounds. That puts me 120 pounds over GVWR.

I looked at my wife and asked her how we could drop another 120 pounds? She was not amused.

Nice!

I initally thought the trailer was in a loading position. But, if the trailer coupler is that high while underway, you might not have enough tongue weight on the hitch/ball. The ball should reside firmly in the coupler while traveling. Not doing so puts a lot of stress on the locking clam shell which is not deisnged to carry very much load, but, merely lock the trailer coupler on the hitch/ball.

We see at least a half dozen boat/trailer accidents due to disconnect from the tow vehicle every summer. Not a pretty sight!

Yesterday's "Deal of the Day" at etrailer.com, a backup camera.

snuffy said:
haha.. if you remove the jacks you will almost be there.
+1 on removing the jacks. No reason to travel with them on unless you're planning on removing the camper at your destination.

Looks like your truck is a Chevy/GMC? Does it have the OEM camera in the tailgate? If so you can get one that plugs into the existing wiring and has better picture quality than OEM here: http://www.cubbycam.com/store/

I put one on my 2012 GMC truck/FWC Hawk and love it, not cheap tho'.

+2 on removing that jacks, if it is going to remain on the truck for any length of time.
It takes very little time to take them on and off.

1- You have the OEM mirrors it will be much easier to see

2- You don't have to look back and see a red glow in your rear view mirror. Perhaps not a big deal for some people, but I find it distracting and it's easier to see other lights etc. without them glowing.

3- Subtract 100lbs off the load. The first time you take one off, you will appreciate the weight savings, they are surprisingly heavy.

4- They catch a lot of bugs

5- It looks much nicer on a sporty truck like yours without them

6- Less opportunity for thieves to steal the camper or the jacks themselves. They are awfully expensive relative to how quickly and easily they can be removed.

Since we were only gone for the weekend I left the jacks on for the trip. When we leave for Sturgis In August for a weeklong trip the jacks are definitely coming off.

I don't have the factory camera system on my truck so it will be all aftermarket equipment.

I'm definetly going to address my trailer tongue angle and look into a drop hitch.

Nice looking rig.Philip.
Hope you both have many fun trips with it. I started carrying brochures with me as I get a lot of
Questions at gas stops and campgrounds.

What size are the wheels on your trailer? I'm surprised to see that much pitch. Do you have the factory trailer tow package?

BTW, I'm running 30 psi as well. I have the GMC factory trailer tow package. My trailer has 15" wheels and it sits pretty level. I didn't have to use a drop hitch. My guess is your trailer has smaller wheels as our truck ride height should be similar.

I'm glad your maiden voyage went well. You'll have things dialled in in no time.

One thing I would suggest is to do as many little overnight trips as you can prior to your Sturgis trip. We had things down to a science when we were tent camping. We have done 4 or 5 trips now and I'm still trying to figure out exactly what to bring and not bring to keep the weight down and maintain as much free space as possible.

I appreciate your observations thank you. The wheels and tires on my trailer are 12 inches however I'm thinking of going up to 13 inch wheels and tires to slow the wheelbearings down a bit. I'm always afraid of those wheelbearings exploding and going into orbit while traveling down the highway at speed. I had a friend that is much more knowledgeable than me look at my set up and he determined that I have the proper positive weight on the tongue of the trailer. The trailer also tracks perfectly straight when going down the highway so it's his opinion the trailer is balanced properly.

I do have a factory tow package on my truck.

When you are hauling your camper do you use the tow/haul feature on your truck? I definitely use mine when I'm towing my jeep but I wonder if it's necessary to use it when hauling the camper only. I really can't tell too much difference when the feature is on or off with just the camper on? The owners manual is it real clear when do use the feature when hauling only.image.jpg

The Tow/Haul only changes the transmission's shift points. Allows it to stay in the lower gear a little longer to stay in the engine power band, and also will down shift a little sooner to help with a little engine braking. Some people will use it in heavy traffic so teh trans isn't jumping up and down through the gears as much.

Dphillip said:
When you are hauling your camper do you use the tow/haul feature on your truck? I definitely use mine when I'm towing my jeep but I wonder if it's necessary to use it when hauling the camper only. I really can't tell too much difference when the feature is on or off with just the camper on? The owners manual is it real clear when do use the feature when hauling only.
attachicon.gif
image.jpg
I live in the prairies which are virtually flat. I don't need to us the tow/haul feature within 3 hrs of my home. It wouldn't make any difference.

If I go into British Columbia, I use the tow/haul feature and it makes a big difference in the transmission temperature. It runs cooler in the tow haul mode. You may think to yourself that you are burning more fuel because it holds the higher RPMS longer, but I don't know if that is necessarily the case, because the truck is it's power band and not lugging at all.

With the trailer in tow, it's probably best to always have in tow/haul mode. I wish it could retain that setting if desired. Sometimes I forget to put it in tow/haul mode, but if the difference is that subtle that it takes an hour to notice, likely it's not that big of a deal. Especially given that you have the added transmission cooler with the factory tow package.

I suggest you get used to seeing what you transmission temps normally are, without the camper, with the camper and once again with the camper and towing.

p.s. the factory crimp fitting on GMC/Chevy transmission cooler lines are NOTORIOUS for leaking (I'd almost call it a feature). Yours is almost guaranteed to leak at some point in it's life. Keep an eye on it. It's an expensive factory repair. I suggest getting it replaced before your warranty expires, if that is still an option.

Back
Top Bottom