Suggestions for a long trip --- What would you bring?

todgru said:
This suggestion is for any trip where you may not get to bath every day: wet wipes. There are certain personal cleaning situations where I don't really want to use a wash cloth.

I prefer the Costco Kirkland brand. These are the ones that are septic system safe. They tend to break down really quickly in water. I haven't found them online, only in Costco stores.

I've used wet wipes, not only for long trips in the camper, but also for long distance backpacking hikes. Worth the weight!

I hope this suggestion makes sense!

Tod Gru.
I'm tough, I use Lysol wipes :p
I don't seem to get any skin irritation.

Great recommendation on wipes.

Baja is the total relaxation trip, in a camper. Take lots of good food that will help supplement meals. The food stores are small with limited good stuff until you get to La Paz or Cabo. There is some fresh food in all stores. Please buy fish and shrimp from locals.
A little bottle of clorox for the water tank if you happen to get water from a tap or well
Slime tubes for your bike if you bring them. Don't bring a good bike, for it will rust before your very eyes. I like the 4.0 fat tire bike for beach riding
Mexican beer is OK, but we are so spoiled in the US with our microbeers. Bring enough to share

enjoy

Thanks All..

I have been on the Wet Wipes plan for years (kind of by accident when my kids were young and there were some in the car while on a mtn biking trip)..

Excited to buy fresh fish from locals, I can eat good, fresh fish every day..

We decided against the bikes, as much as we love to bike, don't want to worry about them.

Bringing our two dogs so we plan to hike around when possible, but really just want to chill on the beach a lot..

Nothing to add other than to say you will probably need less than you think.

We will also be tooling around Baja for Christmas and New Years, enjoy your trip!

SunMan said:
Nothing to add other than to say you will probably need less than you think.

We will also be tooling around Baja for Christmas and New Years, enjoy your trip!
Nice, let us know how it goes and your favorite spots along the way.. Looks like we will be heading out mid January..

We're leaving for southern Baja this Saturday - we'll be down there for three weeks. I'm in a silver Tundra with a white Callen camper on it, my license plate says CON KSO (get it?) if you see me, stop by and say hello - I've always got cold Tecates in the ARB.

I prefer to cross at Tecate (I live in San Diego, I'm a couple exits from the border) and drive through San Felipe, Gonzaga and out Laguna Chapala. We work our way, fishing along the way, down to Todos Santos were we hang out for six days (roosterfish on sardina flies off the beach next to La Chachora - rad). There's about 20 miles of unpaved road left through Cocos - it takes me 1.5 hours to drive through it. I always lower my tire pressure and I drive slow (I'm towing a trailer with two kayaks on it).

The girls fly home out of La Paz and then I'm solo and I hit up Conejo, AL Mateos, Abreojos and Asuncion on the way back. I stay a night outside San Felipe (Hotel Sky Blue - hot shower and a great restaurant next door) before I cross at Tecate the next morning.

The road outside of San Felipe didn't seem any worse to me and I was there a couple of weeks ago. In fact, it seems like they've mellowed out a couple of those death dips (if you've driven that way you know about the vados with the funny painted exclamations on the road that you read just as your getting ready to bottom out your rig). There have been LOTS of repairs to the potholes from Laguna Chapala to the BOLA turnoff.

There are still some (two in particular) VERY gnarly potholes just outside of Guerero Negro - specifically just north of Jesus Maria. Be careful.

Don't worry about the guy who said you won't be able to take your camper into Baja - I think he just read something on the internet. I was just there with my camper. You will have ZERO problems crossing the border.

My tips? I have three.

1. Bring a pen when you go into La Migra for your tourist card. They're always short on pens in there.

2. Change your money into pesos at the Costco on Broadway in Chula Vista - they have a cajero in there and there's no charge for members - having pesos at the pump makes the transaction so much easier (BTW saw BP gas stations and a Chevron gas station in La Paz... changes are coming!).

3. Drive slow and never at night (but you already know that right?).

Good luck and pm me if you need anything.

paddlesurf.net said:
We're leaving for southern Baja this Saturday - we'll be down there for three weeks. I'm in a silver Tundra with a white Callen camper on it, my license plate says CON KSO (get it?) if you see me, stop by and say hello - I've always got cold Tecates in the ARB.

I prefer to cross at Tecate (I live in San Diego, I'm a couple exits from the border) and drive through San Felipe, Gonzaga and out Laguna Chapala. We work our way, fishing along the way, down to Todos Santos were we hang out for six days (roosterfish on sardina flies off the beach next to La Chachora - rad). There's about 20 miles of unpaved road left through Cocos - it takes me 1.5 hours to drive through it. I always lower my tire pressure and I drive slow (I'm towing a trailer with two kayaks on it).

The girls fly home out of La Paz and then I'm solo and I hit up Conejo, AL Mateos, Abreojos and Asuncion on the way back. I stay a night outside San Felipe (Hotel Sky Blue - hot shower and a great restaurant next door) before I cross at Tecate the next morning.

The road outside of San Felipe didn't seem any worse to me and I was there a couple of weeks ago. In fact, it seems like they've mellowed out a couple of those death dips (if you've driven that way you know about the vados with the funny painted exclamations on the road that you read just as your getting ready to bottom out your rig). There have been LOTS of repairs to the potholes from Laguna Chapala to the BOLA turnoff.

There are still some (two in particular) VERY gnarly potholes just outside of Guerero Negro - specifically just north of Jesus Maria. Be careful.

Don't worry about the guy who said you won't be able to take your camper into Baja - I think he just read something on the internet. I was just there with my camper. You will have ZERO problems crossing the border.

My tips? I have three.

1. Bring a pen when you go into La Migra for your tourist card. They're always short on pens in there.

2. Change your money into pesos at the Costco on Broadway in Chula Vista - they have a cajero in there and there's no charge for members - having pesos at the pump makes the transaction so much easier (BTW saw BP gas stations and a Chevron gas station in La Paz... changes are coming!).

3. Drive slow and never at night (but you already know that right?).

Good luck and pm me if you need anything.

Thanks, This is the advice I needed. We will cross at Mexicali as we are coming from Colorado and head down the east side. We have a 4 wheel drive F150 with fresh tire so I feel confident we wont have issues. I hope to run into some others down there, but we aren't leaving until mid January at this point, still trying to wrap up a few work related projects before we can go.

camper rich said:
So the placard on my 3/4 ton Dodge 2500 says GVWR is 8800 lbs which is the legal carrying capacity. Does that mean my truck would not be admitted even if empty? We'll be heading south this weekend and crossing the border probably before Christmas so I guess we'll find out.
I think you will be turned away by Mexican authorities...depending on the border crossing. SAT is using GVWR as indicated on the vehicle placard. Max allowable by regulation is 3.5 metric tons (7716#).

Your actual weight is irrelevant. Mexican officials are not going to weigh your truck. They are going to use the placard.

All of my friends in 3/4 and 1 ton pickups traveling to Baja from SOCAL and AZ in Oct and Nov were denied entry. Further, a friend with an F-350 had his TIP application denied due to weight.

Advmoto18 said:
All of my friends in 3/4 and 1 ton pickups traveling to Baja from SOCAL and AZ in Oct and Nov were denied entry. Further, a friend with an F-350 had his
What is their reason? Is this new or even temporary?

I’ve been to the southern tip (Cabo San Lucas) of Baja Sur for 3 weeks each of the last two years.

Things to bring:
1.Mike & Terri Church book “Camping Mexico’s Baja” - lots of tips and campground ratings. Campgrounds are necessary during the trip if you are trying to cover long distances and just need to sleep.
2. Water jugs and a means to pump water into your water tank. Most towns have an agua purificado station and a hose to fill your tank and your extra jugs. They are mainly safe to use. But, you need to use your judgement. Look at the cleanliness, how they store the fill hoses etc. be prepared to look elsewhere if you are not comfortable with what you see.
3. First aid kit and tools for minor repairs-there are long stretches of road where you are on your own.
4. Emergency communication device-think Garmin/Delorme inReach. Long stretches of desolate roads with no cell service.
5. National Geographic Maps of Baja Norte and Baja Sur. These maps are very detailed and accurate.
6. Mexico insurance is a must.
7. If you have a lien on your vehicle you will need an “authorization letter” from the lender. Never been asked to show it but it is reason to confiscate your vehicle if you are asked to show it such as if you have an accident.
8. Common Sense. Plan to obey traffic laws. Know that stop signs are merely a suggestion for the locals but a huge revenue generator from the touristas who ignore them and try to drive like a local.

Tips and ideas:
1. Last March, the road from Catavina to Guerra Negro was a wreck. Huge potholes everywhere. Road construction can show up anywhere and there can be delays. Try not to push your distances too much and be sure to have a back up camping location if you do encounter delays.
2. Do not drive at night. The roads are narrow and the semis like to drive at night, very fast. The shoulders are narrow to non-existent and the cause of a great many vehicle roll overs-you will see the memorials everywhere. The cattle are all free range and they will lay down on the warm pavement at night. It is dark in the desert and you don’t see them until too late.
3. Watch your fuel. The Church’s detail the so-called gas gaps.
4. Watch the pumps when you buy fuel. The days of blatant rip offs have receded but tricksters are out there. Watch the entire fueling process like a hawk. The workers understand and love a small tip. They will usually wash your windows!
5. Try to speak a little Spanish. It goes a long way.
6. The larger towns have big grocery stores and I find them fun to shop in. It is a bit overwhelming at first but still enjoyable if you go with the journey.

A few spots to consider:
1. Bahia Los Angeles is a nice spot to get your first isolated camping after a long drive south. Playa La Gringa is free to camp on the water but no facilities
2. Catavina is a long drive from San Diego but reachable at dark if you leave San Diego at first light and do not dilly dally along the way. The campground is simple but cheap and has pit toilets.
3. The beaches outside San Ignacio are nice and the whale watching is awesome from there. Ecoturismo Kuyima is the group we toured with. They have an office on the town square at San Ignacio and a nice campground with clean showers. They are funded by Scripps Oceanography.
4. The beaches from Mulege to Bahia Concepcion are crowded but beautiful. We like to stay on a free local beach south of Loreto. Juncalito is the name.
5. Puerto Escondido has a newish marina that is not in most books. You can stay in the parking lot if you get there and pay before 5 when the office closes. The facility has nice showers, laundry and a top shelf restaurant for a reasonable price. It’s a good stop off point and fairly close to Loreto which is a lovely town ignored by many tourists.
6. La Paz is a favorite tourist spot for many main land Mexican tourists. They can easily take the ferry from Puerto Vallarta. It is also the spot where you would ship your rig if you wanted to return North via ferry to the mainland. I want to do that one year. The beach on the outskirts of town has beautiful sand dunes and lots of free camping. The beach has a lot of Canadiens that spend the winter there. There are lots of restaurants right on the water and the prices are very good.
7. Our final destination is always the beaches south of Los Barriles. We will sometimes stay at a campground in that town called East Cape Casas & RV Resort. It is a great stop off point before the remote beach camping or just before beginning the long drive home. Yes, there are lots of people and big rigs but the showers are the cleanest in the Baja, there is a pool, washing machines, wi-fi and a short walk to great restaurants.
8. Just south of La Ribera begins a 40 mile stretch of dirt road, beautiful isolated beaches, great fishing, and gorgeous sunrises. Drive down the road, look for an arroyo and pull in. My idea of great Baja Camping!

CamperCamper said:
I’ve been to the southern tip (Cabo San Lucas) of Baja Sur for 3 weeks each of the last two years.

Things to bring:
1.Mike & Terri Church book “Camping Mexico’s Baja” - lots of tips and campground ratings. Campgrounds are necessary during the trip if you are trying to cover long distances and just need to sleep.
2. Water jugs and a means to pump water into your water tank. Most towns have an agua purificado station and a hose to fill your tank and your extra jugs. They are mainly safe to use. But, you need to use your judgement. Look at the cleanliness, how they store the fill hoses etc. be prepared to look elsewhere if you are not comfortable with what you see.
3. First aid kit and tools for minor repairs-there are long stretches of road where you are on your own.
4. Emergency communication device-think Garmin/Delorme inReach. Long stretches of desolate roads with no cell service.
5. National Geographic Maps of Baja Norte and Baja Sur. These maps are very detailed and accurate.
6. Mexico insurance is a must.
7. If you have a lien on your vehicle you will need an “authorization letter” from the lender. Never been asked to show it but it is reason to confiscate your vehicle if you are asked to show it such as if you have an accident.
8. Common Sense. Plan to obey traffic laws. Know that stop signs are merely a suggestion for the locals but a huge revenue generator from the touristas who ignore them and try to drive like a local.

Tips and ideas:
1. Last March, the road from Catavina to Guerra Negro was a wreck. Huge potholes everywhere. Road construction can show up anywhere and there can be delays. Try not to push your distances too much and be sure to have a back up camping location if you do encounter delays.
2. Do not drive at night. The roads are narrow and the semis like to drive at night, very fast. The shoulders are narrow to non-existent and the cause of a great many vehicle roll overs-you will see the memorials everywhere. The cattle are all free range and they will lay down on the warm pavement at night. It is dark in the desert and you don’t see them until too late.
3. Watch your fuel. The Church’s detail the so-called gas gaps.
4. Watch the pumps when you buy fuel. The days of blatant rip offs have receded but tricksters are out there. Watch the entire fueling process like a hawk. The workers understand and love a small tip. They will usually wash your windows!
5. Try to speak a little Spanish. It goes a long way.
6. The larger towns have big grocery stores and I find them fun to shop in. It is a bit overwhelming at first but still enjoyable if you go with the journey.

A few spots to consider:
1. Bahia Los Angeles is a nice spot to get your first isolated camping after a long drive south. Playa La Gringa is free to camp on the water but no facilities
2. Catavina is a long drive from San Diego but reachable at dark if you leave San Diego at first light and do not dilly dally along the way. The campground is simple but cheap and has pit toilets.
3. The beaches outside San Ignacio are nice and the whale watching is awesome from there. Ecoturismo Kuyima is the group we toured with. They have an office on the town square at San Ignacio and a nice campground with clean showers. They are funded by Scripps Oceanography.
4. The beaches from Mulege to Bahia Concepcion are crowded but beautiful. We like to stay on a free local beach south of Loreto. Juncalito is the name.
5. Puerto Escondido has a newish marina that is not in most books. You can stay in the parking lot if you get there and pay before 5 when the office closes. The facility has nice showers, laundry and a top shelf restaurant for a reasonable price. It’s a good stop off point and fairly close to Loreto which is a lovely town ignored by many tourists.
6. La Paz is a favorite tourist spot for many main land Mexican tourists. They can easily take the ferry from Puerto Vallarta. It is also the spot where you would ship your rig if you wanted to return North via ferry to the mainland. I want to do that one year. The beach on the outskirts of town has beautiful sand dunes and lots of free camping. The beach has a lot of Canadiens that spend the winter there. There are lots of restaurants right on the water and the prices are very good.
7. Our final destination is always the beaches south of Los Barriles. We will sometimes stay at a campground in that town called East Cape Casas & RV Resort. It is a great stop off point before the remote beach camping or just before beginning the long drive home. Yes, there are lots of people and big rigs but the showers are the cleanest in the Baja, there is a pool, washing machines, wi-fi and a short walk to great restaurants.
8. Just south of La Ribera begins a 40 mile stretch of dirt road, beautiful isolated beaches, great fishing, and gorgeous sunrises. Drive down the road, look for an arroyo and pull in. My idea of great Baja Camping!

Awesome! Thanks so much for sharing all of this!

Has anyone mentioned MaxTrax's?

Attachments

• MAXTRAX.jpg
    MAXTRAX.jpg
    267.5 KB · Views: 87
Back
Top Bottom