Suggestions for Getting Dogs Into the Upper Bed?

taytor

Hello. Proud waiting owner for a new Raven shell due next June. Since I'm working off dimensions and no "actual" physical experience to draw from - I would appreciate some advice. With the bed pulled all the way out there is not a lot of room to work with.

Trying to figure out a method to get two dogs (65# and 50#) up into the upper bed. Older girl is the bigger dog and will need assistance. I'm trying not to destroy my aging back by deadlifting them.

Two basic methods I think I have to work with:

1. One or two intermediary boxes to assist them getting close to the bed. And then I lift a short distance.

2. Ramp? Is there enough room for one? I doubt it. But I am looking at getting an aluminum sliding ramp (variable length up to 72") to assist them getting in the camper. Tundra with 2.5" lift.

Any other real world experience with this issue. It is just me and my dogs and I want to sleep with them just like at home. So I need to make this work.

Thanks.

Yuma would happily jump up into bed. Riley refuses and I can't see forcing him so he sleeps below right where my feet land when I get out of bed /sigh

The proper way would have been to buy the camper when they were puppies, then lift them up there every day as they grew larger and you grew stronger.

Absent that, maybe a strip of plywood with cleats and carpet on it? It could be stored laying on the floor, maybe upside down.

I think a ramp could work. Don’t slide the bed out, use the ramp to get them up there, get them to sit or lay as far forward possible then slide out your bed. Reverse it to get them down. If they aren’t forward enough it’s not as easy to slide the bed out/in. My Griffon is young enough he just jumps up/down. When I had a Tacoma/Swift set up getting in/out of the camper steps were needed as the camper extended out past the bumper, I also had to lift the dog up to go in, it had a 2.5 inch lift. Superduty/Hawk no steps needed I can use the bumper step.

bwag said:
I think a ramp could work. Don’t slide the bed out, use the ramp to get them up there, get them to sit or lay as far forward possible then slide out your bed. Reverse it to get them down. If they aren’t forward enough it’s not as easy to slide the bed out/in. My Griffon is young enough he just jumps up/down. When I had a Tacoma/Swift set up getting in/out of the camper steps were needed as the camper extended out past the bumper, I also had to lift the dog up to go in, it had a 2.5 inch lift. Superduty/Hawk no steps needed I can use the bumper step.
@bwag

OK, thanks for the advice. That is some real user information I was hoping for as I was uncertain if I could pull the slide out with them up there.

I'm still young enough to be able to lift them but thinking ahead in time. I'm pretty certain I'm going with a ramp to get them in/out of the camper. This particular ramp is a sliding/expanding version so perhaps it could do double duty with it on the inside too.

71VzIa6ZvwL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Thanks all for the comments.

Back
Top Bottom