Suggestions for stapling into aluminum

BBZ

Hey All
As I deconstruct the Granby.. I notice many things are stapled into the frame..

Can someone direct me to the proper tool for this and size of staples?

Thanks.

The factory uses staples because it's quick and easy. Cuts down product time and costs. Personally if I was rebuilding a camper I'd avoid using staples. Too many other good fasteners in my opinion.

Several of the staples in my roof/ceiling strips have pulled out or are loose.

I think it best to avoid using bright or black steel, cadmium plated steel or even zinc plated steel screws (corrosion from dielectric effect with moisture in the camper) as the thin plating can be removed during the screw installation process.

Hot dipped galvanized (Zinc) is better than Zinc plated but I am not sure if small screws are available in hot dipped Zinc.

I have read that stainless screws are a bit better than standard steel screws but they are more expensive and even stainless might cause corrosion issues with the Aluminum. Also you may not need the strength of stainless steel fasteners.

Inside the camper for attaching things without much weight like headliner strips, etc) perhaps consider using small self tapping Aluminum screws. Pre-drill with recommended drill size for fastener then install.

Here is a metals compatibility chart (there are plenty of others on the web):

https://www.ullrich.com.au/fastenings/1_compatability_chart.php

Regards,
Craig

FWC in recent years started putting a sealant on top of the staples to reduce chances of galvanic corrosion. I personally did not use stapes when replacing the nose piece on my FWC as they were only used to temporality hold the nose piece in place until the trim pieces with 100+ screws went through the aluminum. I sealed the stapes that were underneath holding the wood panels in place.

Staples are convenient and affordable (if you already have a gun and compressor). Use your judgement but keep galvanic corrosion in mind in areas where water infiltration can/will take place.

Back
Top Bottom