Suggestions needed: I've got $80 gift card for local Army Surplus store!

hoyden

Lady Bug
2014 Tacoma DBLB + FWC Fleet
I'm pretty decently outfitted, but trying to decide what to get with my gift cert.

Machete?
Bug net?
Camo net? (for stealthier boondocking? for when SHTF?)
um....
I already have a shovel, axe, hatchet, saw, firestarter....

Ideas? Suggestions?

Hi Charlie!
I have a hammock. How does one use a bug net anyway? I usually just go inside? Are they big enough to attach to my awning?

I've considered ammo cans, though I don't know that I have a practical use for any right now.
I also thought they'd be too much weight.
Not too much weight?

I have found ammo cans to be useful for tools and other things not used all the time. Good, waterproof storage- carry them in the fuel carriers on back of the truck.

Oh, neat! That poncho liner thing looks handy.

I'm second guessing the machete idea since I have an axe, hatchet, and saw. :)

One of those large OD canvas tarps (big enough to cover a hole in your roof or make a shelter with) and plenty of rope/nylon line to tie it down with. If they have some-a canvas repair kit. Rubber boots, ammo cans, plastic military flash light and compass. Winter field jacket with liner and field shirt/pants to keep in your truck at all times. If they have some-some OD blankets-never know when you may need them. The army is good at developing multi-type tools-see what they have-found once a small version of a the regular cbt shovel/pick that would fit in your day pack and one of those plastic match holders. Lot's of things to find in those places.

Smoke

Hi Smoke! What's "OD" ?

I was considering wool blanket. hmm
Useta have my grandpa's, but it disappeared in a move. I think an ex-bf took it... grr.

I can tell you were never in the Army :giggle: ! Olive Drab-that sort of green color they paint everything in the army and USMC. Never can tell when you get your sleeping bag wet or you take off on a whim to see something and forgot to replace the things you took out to clean after that last trip and you get stuck. You should always have like a kit of things that are always in you rig no matter what, like a jack,tool kit ,flashlight blankets, etc. The same goes for when you are in camp & see something on that hill across the valley that looks interesting and take off to see it: ----and a mile or two later you sprain your ankle and realize you left your day pack full of goodies and your phone on your camp chair and your pockets are empty.

Smoke

Ha! Yeah, no military service for me. But that one I should have known. Der.

I always have my rig ready to go - tools, flashlights, matches and firestick clicky thing, blanket, socks, some clothes, first aid kit, etc.... I keep canned food in there and switch out jugs of water.

I also have a separate bug out bag in case I need to go out on foot, tho admittedly it needs some help.

When I go hike, I bring a daypack with me with snacks, water, and basic things in it. When I was traveling, I had my SPOT too.
but now, here in the land of difficult-to-get-away-from-people-land, I worry less about that since I don't hike off-trail (too many damn bugs!)

That's part of the difficulty I've been having with this $80 for the local surplus store : my rig is pretty decently outfitted! Ha! Another blanket would be good and I do need a compass. I like the idea of a tarp just in case a hole gets poked in my roof. And one of those shovel/pick-axes might not be a bad addition, even though I have a nice lightweight shovel already. Poncho liner sounds good too. and bug net. Maybe another ammo can. I have one already filled with ... ammo. :)
This place doesn't have much in the way of clothing, so not sure if they have any jackets or anything in my size. I've been checking there for boots for a few months now, and never anything my size.

Thanks!

If anyone thinks of anything else, that'd be helpful too!

Back
Top Bottom