Summer is Here! 2018

ski3pin said:
The thick smoke is keeping the temperature down by a few degrees....
Same here in Central Oregon...but this evening the smoke is keeping it from cooling off as much, as fast, as it usually does here. :(

DavidGraves said:
Yup...low hundreds forecast for mid gorge next week...just in time for a family visit to go rafting,

Oh well...its rumored to be a dry heat.

David Graves
I’d be somewhat skeptical of a “dry heat” while rafting. ;)

Paul

SMOKE. high winds, several fires and Heat, in the high 90's here in Lassen County! Breaking heat records here in the high desert! I'd get out of here but smoke and fires are every where! Smoke is so thick that have not walked the dog for several days. Well I missed getting stuck up at the Whaleback fire anyway, I had planned to head up to Eagle Lake last week for a few days and had the truck powered up and everything and boom the fire hit. Looks like they saved Spaulding ,and the south lake CG's but no power still in Bucks Bay and other places to the north (friends up there have no power) and no estimate when it will be restored. Compared to other places like near Redding and the several other hot spots, we are better off: another long and hot fire season is here! Well, my pop-up and camper are packed and ready to go if I have too-nice knowing I have that as a back -up in case things go wrong around here!

Smoke

Smoke

Stay safe all who live in the fire areas.
So far we haven't gotten any of the smoke,just our "normal" fog.
Which we have forgotten about for the past few years.
This summer is more of the normal with lots of low fog
then afternoons with sun and a breeze.
Frank

Whaleback is 30% contained. Not bad considering its not first in line for resources. I was wondering if you might have at the lake, Smoke.

It was hotter than average this July in Central Oregon:
2018-July_KTVZ-Weather.jpg
It was also drier than average..but average is dry anyway.
(I snapped a photo of my TV screen with my phone to get this pic)

The data are for the official weather station at the Redmond airport (about 15 miles north and 500 feet lower than Bend), a location that usually has higher highs and lower lows (in summer) than Bend.

A bit of a repeat from my DV post, but hottest July reports all over the west. And, that 127° day in DV. We finally have clouds in the Willamette Valley this morning. I wouldn’t mind a few drops on the grass.

Yesterday I drove past the Oregon Dept of Trans equipment yard (about a mile from my house, so I drive by all the time), and I saw one of the rotary blowers out in the yard with it's hungry maw whirling. :unsure:

So...either an ODOT worker was just screwing around on his lunch hour :p ...or WINTER IS COMING! :eek: :unsure:

ski3pin said:
Its much nicer to do all the pre winter maintenance when it's warm and dry! :)
Yep.
Still...in a warmer than average summer, and with DEEP snow several months away it was an odd sight -- seemed temporally out of place.
Or maybe it's just me -- a guy who doesn't put snow tires on until I have to shovel the car out to get at the lug nuts.

MarkBC said:
MarkBC, on 03 Aug 2018 - 5:32 PM, said:
<snip>
Or maybe it's just me -- a guy who doesn't put snow tires on until I have to shovel the car out to get at the lug nuts.
:)

In Bend we woke up this morning to what looks like low clouds...but it's smoke.

GOES15452018232dWCylc.jpg

:(

All across the PNW, and beyond....

We'll probably see blue skies again just before it snows-hopefully in a couple of months! Boy was just up on the Devel's Garden camping and fishing in the smoke (had to run a small fan at night in the camper to keep the smoke out) -then it got worse as ash and embers began to fall on my camp site and I could no longer see the trees on the other site of Res "C" (from that latest fire near Canby on 139). Yep, "Bobs" swimming times were over real fast as I broke camp and headed home through the smoke to Susanville. Today another one of those" both see and smell the air days" as we are socked in again by smoke!

Smoke

We have been good for a while thanks to a west wind. Drove up through Hope Valley Calif of Hwy 88/89 yesterday and the willows are turning golden color. Seems to early for that elevation.

MarkBC said:
:(

All across the PNW, and beyond....
Time to do something about it ! ... Spokane's plan:

This Friday, every resident must place at least 5 box fans on their roof. Turn your fans on to the highest setting, and aim them toward northeastern Canada.

You know, same old, same old, "Blame Canada" :giggle: ...

Let’s send this smoke right back to those Canucks!

Source:
https://www.facebook.com/events/2049472562029769/

klahanie said:
...You know, same old, same old, "Blame Canada" :giggle: ....
Well, it's either Canada or California where blame usually resides...and since I'm going to California tomorrow for a few days, I don't want to insult my hosts. ;)

Guys...guys,
We need to be nice to our northern brethren.
Otherwise, they may stop flushing and there goes the Columbia. :p

Paul

Back
Top Bottom