Summer Plans, AK/NWT

Barko1

Thinking about this years possible travel. I went to Alaska in May 09, Newfoundland this past year and m thinking Inuvik NWT in late summer. Can't drive there when the ice flows are going, mid May - mid June and I couldn't get there last time so we did the Dalton Highway instead of the Dempster. Bugs are strongest in June & July (as are tourists) so I am thinking of heading North from S. NM in the later part of August. Not sure where to go after Inuvik or what the plan might be and am open to suggestions. Anyone else heading North? Only downside is about $2000 of fuel :(

We, Anne and I, are likely to be heading up the Dempster, around early August. I have done it a few times before. It is one of my favorite trips. We go via the Cassaire Hwy and we also save a few days for Dawson City.

I'm doing the big loop starting mid May, up 5 to Kamloops, then 97 through Prince George to Dawson creek,
97 on to Whitehorse, then the 2 to the Dempster, to Inuvik and back, then 9 to the Taylor, then the 2 to Fairbanks, the 3 down through Denali,etc down to Anchorage, the Kenai, back up to 1, then to Tok, the 1 to Whitehorse again, a jaunt down to Skagway, back up to 1, then over to the Cassair (37) with stops at Stewart & Hyder, down to the 16, back to Prince George. At that time I'll make the decision whether to go on over to Yellowknife in the NWT. I'm thinking that's going to be most if not all of the summer.

Sounds like I will be seeing some of you this summer.

Plan to leave Florida around Easter, head to the desert(Arizona), then North to oregon and Washington State, up thru BC and the Yukon and haven't decided which route to take.

I want to definitely be in Alaska for the reds and silvers. Would like to fish the kings also, but not sure I will get there early enough.

Will be looking for ya'll

Sounds like I will be seeing some of you this summer.

Plan to leave Florida around Easter, head to the desert(Arizona), then North to oregon and Washington State, up thru BC and the Yukon and haven't decided which route to take.

I want to definitely be in Alaska for the reds and silvers. Would like to fish the kings also, but not sure I will get there early enough.

Will be looking for ya'll

If you need a place to stop on the way to AZ let me know. I'm 9 miles from I10, 2 miles off I25, just North of Las Cruces.

then North to oregon and Washington State

Will you be passing through these states on I5 -- just making time through the wet-but-green half of these states? Or might you take 97 through the interesting sides of these states?

I'd recommend 97 (veer northeast off I5 at Weed, California)....visit Crater Lake in south-central Oregon...continue north through high-desert/prairie of central Oregon and Washington...rejoin I5 via some interesting northern-Washington Cascade-crossing pass.

I'd recommend 97 (veer northeast off I5 at Weed, California)....visit Crater Lake in south-central Oregon...continue north through high-desert/prairie of central Oregon and Washington...rejoin I5 via some interesting northern-Washington Cascade-crossing pass.

I did that route last June, they had just opened the road through Crater Lake that day, wonderful++ No camping there but Diamond Lake was nice. Came back S by John Day, also a nice route. There is also a very cool state park, Niagara Springs, NW of Twin Falls. Sorry no pics but amazing springs blasting out of the sides of the canyon walls. They just had a group campsite but the nice ranger let us spend the night, boondocking on the other side of the river.

Thanks for the tips.

Been to Crater Lake and such. Have family in the Yakima Valley, so that is a must stop in Washington.

I'll keep you posted on the plans and might just take you up on a pit stop if needed!!

Back
Top Bottom