Summer Travel Pictures

carld

This summer I've been on the road for 64 days and driven over 12,000 miles. My latest trip was from Texas, through OK, KA, NE, SD, WY, ID, OR, WA, CA, UT, CO, and NM. First stop with good weather was this sunset near Scotts Bluff NE at Lake Minatare.

DSC01135.jpg by Carl Devendorf, on Flickr

In South Dakota is climbed and stayed overnight on top of Black Elk Peak (formally Harney Peak) the highest point in SD with a old CCC days stone fire lookout. I got these pictures in the early morning and at sunrise.

DSC02969-Edit.jpg by Carl Devendorf, on Flickr

DSC01214-HDR.jpg by Carl Devendorf, on Flickr

Last year I took some night time pictures at Devils Tower National Monument so I'm back again. I got some Milky Way pictures and happened to get the sunsetting under a big black cloud in the background of the tower.

DevilsTower-composite.jpg by Carl Devendorf, on Flickr

DSC03014-Pano-2.jpg by Carl Devendorf, on Flickr

DSC01370-HDR.jpg by Carl Devendorf, on Flickr

My next stop was Grand Teton National Park. You have to spend some time to get good pictures. I was 3 days at Devils Tower and 2 days at Grand Teton.

DSC03064-Pano-Edit.jpg by Carl Devendorf, on Flickr

DSC03099-Edit.jpg by Carl Devendorf, on Flickr

My wife flew into Portland OR, so I spent the next two days camping at Hell's Canyon ID and Mount Hood OR. The only picture I got was of Shoshone Falls in Twin Falls ID.

DSC01733-HDR.jpg by Carl Devendorf, on Flickr

We drove from Portland to Astoria and up the Olympic peninsula, through Cascade National Park and visited friends in Kennewick WA. Then back through Bend OR, Crater Lake NP, Lake Tahoe, Austen NV and Great Basin Nation Park NV. Its a little harder to take pictures when your on a schedule and or the weather doesn't cooperate. It was cold and foggy with a a 10 foot pile of snow int the Crater Lake visitor center. I dropped my wife at the Salt Lake airport and camped out the next night off some road on Cedar Mesa near Natural Bridges National Monument UT.

DSC03134-Pano-Edit.jpg by Carl Devendorf, on Flickr

On the way back to my brothers house in Santa Fe NM, I stayed at Mesa Verde National Park. This is the Cliff Palace and Sunset over the 14'ers El Dente and Mount Wilson from the Mesa Verde Lookout.

DSC01950-HDR.jpg by Carl Devendorf, on Flickr

DSC01908-HDR.jpg by Carl Devendorf, on Flickr

From Santa Fe, it was a new moon so my brother and I headed over to Shiprock for a nighttime picture. We caught the sunset then drove around on a 4x4 road and camped on the NW side for the Milky Way.

DSC02008-HDR.jpg by Carl Devendorf, on Flickr

DSC03173-Pano-Edit-Edit.jpg by Carl Devendorf, on Flickr

On the way home to Texas I stopped again at Capulin Volcano Nation Monument NM.

DSC02049-HDR-Pano.jpg by Carl Devendorf, on Flickr

DSC03203-Pano-2-Edit.jpg by Carl Devendorf, on Flickr

One more picture. We just got back from backpacking 6 days, 40 miles with over 10,000 feet of climbing in the Weminche wilderness near Durango CO. This is a picture of the Milky Way from Vestal Lake at 12,200 feet elevation.

DSC03612-Pano-2.jpg by Carl Devendorf, on Flickr

Carld, I really enjoyed look at your pictures. If only I could be this good.

Carl, Wow, absolutely amazing shots. Thanks for sharing. We have some great photographers on this site and yours are truly a work of art. jd

Thanks, even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in a while. At least that's what I keep telling myself. They say that your first 10,000 photos are the worst and I'm at about 5,000. By the way my AT ocelot camper preformed great. The two 50W solar panels keep everything charged and I never have to worry about it. Over the total of 64 days and some cold nights, I filled the propane 3 times and now it's reading 1/4. While we hiked 6 days in CO it sat at the trail head with the 3 way fridge on propane medium and when we came back, guess what, cold beer at the end of the trail.

Yes, very nice photography of some very photogenic spots. You obviously put a lot of effort and planning into your work and it shows. Thanks for posting your photos. :)

I use Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop. You can get them for $10 a month. I have two copies one on my mac mini at home and on on my PC Laptop for the road. Lightroom will almost automatically post pictures to Flickr and automatically updates them if you make any changes to them. So to post the pictures on WTW you click on the photo in Flickr and then click on the "Share arrow" at the right bottom corner of the picture and copy the BBCode to the WTW post. Only problem is that if the link changes, maybe because you changed the picture and Lightroom updated it, the link won't work in the WTW post anymore.

I started using an new app for planning photos called "Planit" for photographers. It's available for android and iphone and is better than other apps like Photopills or Photographers Ephemeris.

Back
Top Bottom