Suspension Lift Question Torsion Bar Drop vs. Relocation

doc

Advanced Member
I have a 2015 Chevy 4WD 2500HD Extended Cab Long Box with a FWC Grandby. I'm looking to improve the break over height so want to go with a small lift. I would consider only a 2", but think this may not be adequate given the length of the truck. Furthermore, all of the 2" lifts seem to be torsion key or control arm replacements, which I fear would not keep as good of suspension geometry or performance (is this correct? for example Icon has a 2" control arm lift). This leaves me with a more comprehensive lift option, which most of the manufacturers seem to make in the 6"+ range. 6" is great, but not for me or my application. It seems Rancho makes a 4" product though. I am confused why they have two different 4" lifts and I was hoping someone could help explain to me the difference in functionality between them:

4" Torsion Bar Drop and the 4" Torsion Bar Relocation

http://www.gorancho.com/products/suspension-systems/chevrolet-gmc-suspension-systems/?find=2015-chevrolet-silverado-2500-hd-4wd-385890

Thanks!

With the torsion bar kits I've seen you will end up with the upper control arms very close to the frame tabs. Also the front cv angles may not be optimal. If you replaced the upper control arms that could solve the first issue but the cv joints would still be less than great. I ran my truck that way for a few years without any real issues other than ride quality. Then in 2014 got a Rancho 4" kit with fox shocks. It was the kit with torsion bar relocation. The ride was much improved with the lift kit and geometry was corrected. Only complaint was the lift spindles paint was poor and they rusted very quickly.

My old truck with the Rancho 4" kit, 5" rear blocks, firestone airbags and 285/60-20 tires about 33.5 inch. The front was "turned down" as much as possible because we didn't want any necessary lift and the rear was a bit high with the bags and 5" blocks.
img_145249_1_549ecd77bd57c2a9ac81f969ebbcd2c9.jpeg

Try RV LIFE Pro Free for 7 Days

• New Ad-Free experience on this RV LIFE Community.
  • Plan the best RV Safe travel with RV LIFE Trip Wizard.
  • Navigate with our RV Safe GPS mobile app.
  • and much more...
Try RV Life Pro Today
Back
Top Bottom