Suspension Update?

eyemgh

I have a 2008 Silverado with a FWC Raven Shell. It has 140,000 miles and is still on its OEM shocks/struts. I'm not interested in lifting it or upsizing tires. In fact, I just bought some new Wildpeaks, ever so slightly upsized so that I could get an E rated version. I'm thinking about just putting Bilstein 4600s on it, because at that mileage, as nice as it still is, I'm not sure a big dollar suspension upgrade makes sense. I'd like it to be a little more compliant on washboard and potholes, but still need lateral rigidity for the camper. Any other ideas or would you just replace the originals with something newer and nicer?

Attachments

• FWC.jpg
    FWC.jpg
    230.9 KB · Views: 89
not sure what the difference is between the Bilstein 4600 and 5100 series shocks, but I went the the 5100's on my 2006 Silverado. Quite happy with the ride, but could use a tiny bit more damping in the back. It likes to porpoise on SOME roads, not most. 10-15 pounds in the airbags settles it right down.

I had 4600s on my 06 Tundra and put them on My F250 when we got it. No issues

Bils 4600's are a smaller body diameter than the 5100's. I think that the 4600's are too small for a truck, but I'm probably more out at the edge than most.

2002 Chevy 2500HD. I replaced the OEM with the 4600s and they work just fine, but I’m not hauling around a slide-in unit. I ran 5100s on my 1/2-ton Dodge and really liked them, I’d have no issue running them again. I agree with your philosophy of staying as close to stock as possible on that type of rig.

Thanks everyone! I just spoke with a Bilstein tech and learned some interesting things. The 4600 and 5100 are exactly the same in all regards including dimensions (1.95" diam), guts and performance with two exceptions. The 5100 is zinc plated and height adjustable. The 4600 is painted and not height adjustable. Since I'm keeping the height stock, he recommended 4600s. Thanks again!

eyemgh said:
Thanks everyone! I just spoke with a Bilstein tech and learned some interesting things. The 4600 and 5100 are exactly the same in all regards including dimensions (1.95" diam), guts and performance with two exceptions. The 5100 is zinc plated and height adjustable. The 4600 is painted and not height adjustable. Since I'm keeping the height stock, he recommended 4600s. Thanks again!
Thx for the info!

I finally got a real test in at the Steens and Hart Mountain this weekend. There may be better options, but the 4600s were a BIG upgrade over my 140,000 mile stockers.

eyemgh said:
I finally got a real test in at the Steens and Hart Mountain this weekend. There may be better options, but the 4600s were a BIG upgrade over my 140,000 mile stockers.
i drove from fish lake up and over steens, then thru hart mtn.... i dont remember where we ended up... maybe summer lake. that was a lotta gravel road !! my gal was great with it, i kept telling her we were going to see some antelope... finally saw a few right near the hart mtn ... station. i figured they were pets :)

goinoregon said:
i drove from fish lake up and over steens, then thru hart mtn.... i dont remember where we ended up... maybe summer lake. that was a lotta gravel road !! my gal was great with it, i kept telling her we were going to see some antelope... finally saw a few right near the hart mtn ... station. i figured they were pets :)
I saw everything but. I felt like I was playing wildlife bingo and couldn't get a pronghorn to win! :D

I saw multiple hawk species, bald eagle, sage grouse, coyote, big horn sheep and wild/feral horses. Pretty cool!

Back
Top Bottom