Suspension upgrade for F150?

BlueRidge

Advanced Member
1/2 tons seem like a better truck for a daily drivers than the 3/4 tons, particularly in cities.

Broader sheet metal and taller height seems to be the trend in 3/4 tons - which make them more difficult in city driving and smaller city parking spaces.

Are upgrading the 1/2 ton suspensions to 3/4 specifications a valid choice? "Just add airbags" seems to be common, but is it better to upgrade the springs and shocks - or are the costs excessive?

Gas mileage reports on 1/2 ton models versus their 3/4 ton versions appear to get 25% better gas mileage. While gas prices are low now, it won't last, and soon 25% less gas expense could be real money.

I've been a Ford guy in the past, but would a 1/2 Chevy/GMC or Ram be better for a suspension upgrade like this?

Thanks

On the Ford F-150's the past couple of years, Ford offers a "HD" (Heavy Duty Package) for some of the Ford F-150 trucks.

It is a special order sort of thing, but could be an excellent choice.

7 lug rear axle and the truck has a factory payload capacity of something like 2300 lbs.

Better payload than some of the 3/4 ton trucks on the market, no rear suspension upgrade needed for carrying a small pop-up camper, and you still get your "F-150" for city driving.

Maybe something worth looking into.

:)

Thanks Stan, the F150 HD is a great option for some, unfortunately it's not available in the SuperCab Short Bed, that would be a good compromise for me (overall length versus having some in cab storage).

Has anyone here upgraded their springs and shocks on their 1/2 ton, to 3/4 ton specs, and thought it worked well and would recommend it?

Airbags seem to be the go to option, but is it better to invest in a stronger suspension (without going to the less fuel efficient 3/4 tons).

(without sparking a brand war), is one brand better than another for doing this?

Ford has traditionally offered higher payload options in their half tons. The new f150 is also nearly 700lbs lighter with an aluminum body. I would strongly suggest looking at numbers on a new one.

I had a 2006 f150 supercrew and added bilstein shocks, air bag and d rates tires and hauled a 7 hard side. It worked very well other than the 5.5' bed. Handling and control were great. On windy roads or roughly freeways, my truck was solidly planted while 1 ton duallies with massive campers were rocking, swaying and porpoising.

I would not hesitate going that route again except I wanted a smaller rig still and bought a Tacoma. The half tons generally handle/drive much better and get better unloaded mileage than a 3/4 or 1 ton. I would avoid dodge as they went to coil sprung read. Chevy also has a spongy ride (not what you want with a camper).

BlueRidge said:
Thanks Stan, the F150 HD is a great option for some, unfortunately it's not available in the SuperCab Short Bed, that would be a good compromise for me (overall length versus having some in cab storage).

Has anyone here upgraded their springs and shocks on their 1/2 ton, to 3/4 ton specs, and thought it worked well and would recommend it?

Airbags seem to be the go to option, but is it better to invest in a stronger suspension (without going to the less fuel efficient 3/4 tons).

(without sparking a brand war), is one brand better than another for doing this?
I have a brochure for the 2015 Ford and it shows a Crewmax and 5 1/2 foot bed option. You can check online but I think that is available :)

I live in a busy city. This will also be my daily driver. A SuperCab with the short bed is the best compromise for overall length, right size bed for my camper, and in cab storage, and general maneuverability.

Ford didn't (and doesn't) offer the payload package for that truck.

Is there a reason I shouldn't buy the payload package parts and have a third party upgrade the suspension for me? Note: two Ford dealerships refused to do the work - but would sell me the parts.

Has someone done this?

If not an F150, has someone upgraded a different brand from a 1/2 ton suspension to 3/4 ton specifications and liked the result?

A 1/2 ton truck can not be converted to a 3/4 ton at all. A 3/4 ton truck is completely different. (Side note: One of the great urban legends is a Toyota Tundra is related to a 3/4 ton truck) A 1/2 ton truck transfers the load from the truck to the wheel via the axle shaft because the axle housing bearing race rides on the axle shaft which is then attached to the wheel. A 3/4 ton truck transfers the load from the truck to the wheel directly from the axle housing using a larger bearing race between the axle housing and the wheel while the axle turns in the center without a load. Larger springs and frame combined with this stronger bearing arrangement make a truck into a 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck (ignoring solid front axle options).

The payload package Ford F-150 comes with a slightly larger axle shaft to increase load capacity but the bearings still ride on the axle shaft. The payload package comes with one more rear leaf spring, stiffer front springs, heavy duty shocks all around, and E rated tires.

I would not order payload package parts because you could not be sure the frame mounting brackets are the same.

Please note (disclaimer): I recommend carrying campers only on regular cab long bed trucks with the payload option (have I mentioned in the last five minutes how much I love my truck? :) ) and staying below GVWR.

In my opinion, options to consider:

1. The new Fords have interesting payloads because of the aluminum cab and bed.
2. One of the trailer packages, the "better one", increases GVWR and so payload. I have seen rear spring variations on the F-150 unrelated to the payload package and guess they are the higher GVWR trailer package. When ordering a truck, the screen always reports GVWR so as you change options see if GVWR is changing. The last model F-150 had a 7700 GWVR with the "better trailer package. Check the door sticker on trucks in the dealer lots.
3. If the camper is on the truck only a few weeks each year, air bags allow quicker changes in suspension stiffness and easy leveling of the truck.
4. If the camper is on the truck full time, many frame and spring shops will add a leaf to the rear springs and some vendors offer completely custom rear spring packages. New springs will give the truck a stiffer ride when empty while air bags can be adjusted.
5. E rated tires and stiffer shocks can be added.
6. 100acre... did an interesting rear suspension upgrade, message him to ask.
7. Limit truck modifications that increase weight and camper options to stay within your trucks capacity.
8. The brakes on my F-150 work great with the camper on full time for a totally stock truck.
9. Trailer mirrors stick out a lot but give lots of visibility, mine were dealer installed.
10. Switch to a 3/4 ton truck if you want to pull any significant trailer while the camper is on the truck. If you want to heavily modify your truck to go rough country then use a 3/4 ton truck. My springs are not stiff enough to bring 1 ton of camper down off a rock or ledge.
11. The 3.73 rear end is better for hauling a camper in the hills or mountains.
12. I have met two 100,000+ mile F-150 extended cabs with Hawks on full time with only rear spring damage and otherwise happy owners. Several WTW members reported switching from F-150 to 3/4 tons, generally folks with larger tires (rough country driving?).

If you are shopping for the new Ford F-150, what is the payload for an extended cab 6 1/2 ft bed?

the 2015 ford f250 supercab shortbed is only about one inch longer and wider with tow mirrors than a 2015 f150 supercab with the 6.5 bed. You can buy a 250 right now for less.. and you get 1000lbs. more payload, better brakes,axles etc..just something to think about.

iowahiker, thanks for the details. Ford is not publishing payloads for 2015s, the 2014 was about 1700lbs. with the tow package upgrade.

snuffy, I think F250 Supercab short bed is a better option for payload. But I drive 30k miles a year and they get 25% less mpg, the main reason I was trying to make an F150 work.

Unwilling to buy new, they just depreciate too fast, and there are clean used ones about if you're patient.

Yes I did mod my rear suspension. E Rated Cooper Discoverer AT/3's and I added Firestone Ride Rites with in cab controller, Bilstein 4600 shocks all the way around and being the redundant fellow and worry wort that I am, I went ahead and added a ProComp Add a Leaf in both rears. The Hawk has been on for a couple of weeks and she handles nicely. The tow packages are nice because they also include a small transmission fluid cooler much like a radiator. I do also appreciate that the brakes are all disc and no drums. She takes corners nicely and handles great. The Hawks weight empty is 1,219 lbs so I think I'm still within or real close to GVWR. And I've been averaging approx 16 mpg with a few things loaded in the hawk. The add a leaves raised the truck a few inches but the camper brought her down nicely. The only thing is, I'm wondering how well the axels and bearings will handle everything. I did tow my twin axel trailer yesterday with my Kubota RTV 900 on it and mileage dropped down to 10.5-11 mpg.

FYI, according to the order guide I have from Ford it looks like the Supercab only comes in 6.5 and 8 foot beds. With no 5.5 foot bed and "late availability" on the 8 footers.

"Ford is not publishing payloads for 2015s, the 2014 was about 1700lbs. with the tow package upgrade."

The chart is long but I have payload info if you want to give me the particular build you want I will look it up for you.

2015 Supercab 6.5' bed 2.7L EcoBoost 1740 and 2160. It doesn't specify what has to be ordered to get the higher payload.

Tow package includes increasing the rear axle to 9.75". The payload package is everything in the max tow package .... plus an addition rear axle spring.

100acre, thanks for your experience, and for the towing mpg, I have wondered about that too.

Timothy, I appreciate you offering the 2015 payloads. My dealership didn't have any info on 2015s.

At the expense of sounding cheap, I just can't see spending $40k on a new F150, when a similar couple years old one is half the price.

Which ever direction I go it will be a used truck.

Years ago my grandad got tired of wiping out the rear axle bearings on his '73 F-100. Mostly from towing their 25' Airstream, rare that truck ever had a load in it as he had another truck for rough service. Found a similar vintage 3/4t in a local farmer's boneyard and transferred all of the axle parts after rebuilding them, but kept the 1/2t springs for their ride. Doubt that this is even possible these days, the lines are too divergent.

If the camper is going to be permanent, then you can have the rear springs either re-worked or replaced to carry the load better. The front springs may or may not also need to mods or replacement. Try looking up the Ford p/n's for the std front spring and the HD front spring. If they are different p/n's you'll want the HD springs.
If the camper is going to be an on sometimes, off sometimes or mostly, then air springs may be your better option. Drive a 3/4t around w/o a load in it to see why.

All of this fails to address the more important thing: Brakes. For me, this is the best reason for getting a 3/4t truck. If the HD F-150 has a different brake package you will want those too.

I just bought a Chevy 1500 4X4 double cab short bed with the heavy duty payload package. It's rated at 2270LB pay load. The package includes a more robust rear axle, stronger shocks and springs, larger side mirrors and other goodies. When I get my camper I should not have to do any suspension upgrades. We'll see. On the plus side with about 600 miles on it the computer says I'm getting 19 MPGs. Hope this helps.

Mike

This is the 1500HD in the 2001-2006? I thought those were all Quadrasteer models, I didn't know you could get them in the traditional 4x4. Thanks

It's a 2015. You have to upgrade to the LT trim level to get the heavy duty package. That and move from the standard V6 engine to the 5.3L V8. This runs the price up pretty fast, right up to the ¾ ton price. But the ¾ ton comes standard with a 6.0L engine and I preferred the 5.3 for MPG reasons, so I compromised for MPGs over payload.

Back
Top Bottom