Sway Bar Question

Ramblinman

I am preparing my truck for a trip to Baja in Feb. With this in mind I will likely install Hellwig Sway bars.

When I went to order them they asked me if I needed a sway bar for the front? I am not well versed in this area. Can anyone out there offer any insight? Is it common to put them in the front as well?

I am running 1998 Chev 1/2 ton - yes I am way over weight. There is still significant roll with Air Bags and E rated tires.

Any comments or ideas would be appreciated.

Odds are good that you already have a front sway bar.

You may notice with a rear sway bar added and no change up front that in evasive maneuvers that the rear will break loose and slide easier (Over-steer). Road racing suspension tuning rule: The stiffest axle (front/rear) will have the least cornering traction. Adding rear roll stiffness will trend the whole suspension in the direction of the rear having less cornering traction. How noticeable this or not depends on how stiff the front bar is. If the aftermarket front bar is bigger in diameter than your current bar it will help reduce this tendency (Under-steer) while also reducing sway.

Most all vehicles have a factory front sway bar. The Helwig is likely a heavier front bar to match the new rear. On my Isuzu's I always upgrade both ends. It makes a huge difference on my trucks. bear in mind that Off road you may lose some flex with both bars upgraded.

Try RV LIFE Pro Free for 7 Days

• New Ad-Free experience on this RV LIFE Community.
  • Plan the best RV Safe travel with RV LIFE Trip Wizard.
  • Navigate with our RV Safe GPS mobile app.
  • and much more...
Try RV Life Pro Today
Back
Top Bottom