Swing Arm for a Rear Dirt Bike Hitch

hbl21

does anyone know a shop that will build one of these for a dirt bike hitch? RakAttack doesnt make one to accomodate the weight of a dirt bike

I don't understand, so the bike swings out, or something that goes into the dirt bike rack that will swing out?

Talk to a local welding shop near you.

They will know the details of the swing away hinge that will be strong enough for your motorcycle. Make sure to tell them how much your MC weighs, along with the handlebar width for spacing away from the back of the vehicle, the length of the overall MC and the distance between the axles for the length of the carry rack.

What you save in shipping charges from an internet company, you may pay for the local custom solution. So, the money part may be a wash, but, you'll get exactly what you want. And, bigger than that is if you have any issues or redesign ideas your builder is local to you.

Ck out the cable show weldem up the guy did a ‘58 Apache panel truck with a swing arm with a added winch to load and carry a dirt bike it looked trick!

oldhotrod said:
Wilco off road has a hitch swing that is rated high enough for a dirt bike
The wilco swing arm actually doesnt have enough weight capacity, i spoke with them

For this to work at that weight level it will need to have some sort of feature that transfers the load from the arm to the base when closed. Most easily executed that is a reinforced shelf that the arm rests on when closed.

The RoT that I use in designing stuff like this that allows for the dynamic loadings that will happen while moving is to design for the motorcycle's weight times 3. So if it is a 500 lbs. motorcycle I design for a 1500 lbs. motorcycle. That may seem excessive, but it actually may not be quite enough if you miss a cross-cut wash-out while at speed on a smooth dirt road.

Good to know, i thought i had seen it in use before but it may have been a bumper with swing attached...probably a custom job
hbl21 said:
The wilco swing arm actually doesnt have enough weight capacity, i spoke with them

hbl21 said:
But they do rate it for 300lbs...seems adequate for a lighter dirt bike....

Back
Top Bottom