Tacoma and other truck suggestions

ACom

Advanced Member
I currently have my Grandby on a 2006 F150 with a 6.5' box and have been overall, pretty happy with the set up other than the 13mpg milage when loaded. I leased the truck with the idea that I would just buy it at the end of the lease (kinda like a 3 year test drive). The lease is about up and with the current truck market, I can buy a new 2008 for about the same price as my lease buyout so I'm back in the truck market. I had no issues with the 150 and figured it has been a good truck but now my options are opened up again.

One option I am looking at is a 2009 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Sport. I would sell my Grandby and put an Eagle on the Taco. Just wondering how current Taco/FWC owners like this set up? I'm concerned with overloading the truck and needing to do $$$$ in suspension upgrades to make it work well (beyond basic airbags). What about mounting with the composite bed.....any issues here?

If it was not for already having owned a FWC and really enjoying it, this would be the truck I would purchase. The truck is also my daily driver so I am trying to stick with half tons as I don't really have the need for a 3/4 or one-ton diesel at this point and the camper comes off when not in use.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

In sales lots all over this country, there are literally millions of short box trucks like yours sitting unsold with dealers on their knees hoping someone will buy them. This over supply of new trucks suppresses the value of used trucks (and truck parts) too. Now would be a good time to get out of the vicious cycle of leasing.

Let the 150 go back to the dealer and buy a used truck you can afford to pay cash for. If you buy a 2WD truck, the gas mileage will be closer to the magic 20 MPG number more appropriate for higher gas prices.

My 1988 Chevy 1500 that hauls our old Keystone has over 400,000 miles on it. The engine has 218,000 miles. On our last 8,000 mile driving and camping trip to Tennessee, Kentucky, Illinois, Missouri, Nebraska, Wyoming, Utah, Idaho, Montana, North Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Michigan, it used only one quart of oil and got 20 MPG tank after tank. You ought to be able to get a used truck similar to mine almost for free.

If all the above makes too much sense, forget you read it. Go get yourself a new lease truck with 4WD. You will be an answer to the dealers' prayers. Your new truck will be pretty sitting in the driveway and it will always remain a low mileage unit because it will cost too much to put gas in it. All will be good!

Not a question about lease/buy - used/new

John D,

Thanks for the "buy used" advice but that is not really what I was looking for. My question is about the Tacoma/FWC/ATC combo.

BTW, I will be buying my next vehicle but it will be new..............

AC

There is a world of new unsold short box pickups sitting on dealer lots. I shopped for a new half ton truck myself. Some new trucks are being discounted nearly half of sticker price. I am 66 years old and have been frugal all my life, so I'm in a position to pay cash for any vehicle I want. However, the truck I want is not available and I am going to continue driving my old one. I decided parts to fix it would be cheaper too, if it breaks down on a trip. I will simply stay where it is broken down until it is fixed.

:-\ H-m-m-m

A 2006 F150... Had many problems? If not, ACom, you might consider ways to re-lease it or buy it back cheap.

New trucks can have problems too... we wouldn't want you to have buyer's regret.

On edit-- On the other hand, the leasing company might not make you a good deal... Still and all what can it hurt to ask?

What can it hurt?

what can it hurt to ask?

I agree with Mark. If you like your current truck, maybe the lease company will deal.

Generally, there is a cost associated with increased fuel economy: decreased loaded drive-ability. I prefer the diesel 1 ton and accept the financial trade off of higher fuel and purchase prices for increased drive-ability. Except for some minor visibility issues, it's as though the camper isn't even back there. With the light weight of our campers, overload/helper springs/air-bags on a 1 ton are unnecessary. With the camper mounted, on road behavior and emergency maneuvers are predictable and safe. And while maintenance costs are generally higher, the frequency of maintenance is reduced by the increased durability of the truck.

That said, a Toyota without the camper would be far more fuel efficient and easier to park!

Acom,

I've been driving the Tacoma/Eagle combo full time for the last two years getting around 15 mpg (17-18 mpg without the camper) and am reasonably satisfied with the set up. I already owned the truck prior to buying the camper so the Eagle was really the only option available. I'd say if you are used to the space of a Grandby you might find the Eagle a bit tight inside. I've suffered a bit of Grandby envy when looking at other members interior pictures/layouts and would love to have one if I had 3/4 ton truck.

To get the Tacoma properly set up I added a leaf, upgraded the shocks, and install Firestone Air-Bags, the air bags make all the difference in ride and leveling. Total cost of suspension mods around $1000.00 but well worth it for carrying the camper full time. I didn't have to deal with the new plastic bed but Les of lqhikers posted a great mounting set up on his new Tacoma.

Hello there

We have special tie downs available here at the factory for customers putting campers on the 2005 - 2008 Toyota Tacoma "Long Bed" trucks that have the plastic composite truck bed.

(see pictures below)

It is a simple installation process & strong.

They seem to be working well so far.

I have not heard of any problems with them over the past few years.

BUT, if you are looking at new Tacoma truck with the intention of putting a camper on it, make sure to get the "LONG" bed 6.0' foot bed.

We really don't have many tie down choices for campers going on the really short 5.0' beds.

=====================================================

>

Attachments

• TACOMA INSTALL BRACKETS 3.JPG
    TACOMA INSTALL BRACKETS 3.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 501
  • TACOMA INSTALL BRACKETS 2.JPG
    TACOMA INSTALL BRACKETS 2.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 493
  • TACOMA INSTALL BRACKETS 6.JPG
    TACOMA INSTALL BRACKETS 6.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 490
  • Tacoma Install Brackets # 10.JPG
    Tacoma Install Brackets # 10.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 475
  • TACOMA INSTALL BRACKETS 7.JPG
    TACOMA INSTALL BRACKETS 7.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 470
Thanks for the replys

John D - I hear you on the new trucks with deep discounts. I may just get a new F150 but I too am having trouble getting the exact one I would want long term.

Negotiating Lease Buy-Out - That was my first thought when the gas prices hit the roof and truck prices dove. It turns out Ford Credit in Canada will not negotiate any lease residuals. I've heard that they are actually insured against the differnce between what they get at auction and the residual in the contract????? Could be true but they refuse to negotiate...but are willing to give me an additional $1000 off a new vehicle if I convert from a lease to a purchase :rolleyes: Seems strange that they will take back a truck with a $20,000 residual that will only get $12,000 at auction...but are willing to give me grand if I let it go to auction....they must be insured against this type of stuff. If I could get my truck at current market value, it would be a no brainer for me right now as I have had no problems and it is a very comfortable and capable truck.

Scott - I would really love a 3/4 or one ton for the Grandby but it would also be my daily driver. Since the truck will only be put to use with the FWC maybe 10-20% of the time, its harder to justify a big diesel. Then again, a 2006 5.9L Dodge short box could be a good compromise between size and milage.

I have six weeks to decide what to do. I just need to make a decision soon as I seem to change my mind six times a day on which way to go....damb comfy FWC Grandby....would be a much easier decision if I was still tent camping!

No complaints with 07 Tundra/Bobcat combo. Added Firestone bags and thats it.

I was looking at the Tundra's but as my Grandby was originally built for a Ford F250/350, the cab over would be about 9" above the cab....a similar issue as I have had with my F150 due to the deep box. I ended up purchasing a 2006 Dodge 2500 5.9l Cummins with low mileage this morning and I think it will be a great fit with the FWC. Seems that those on this site with that engine are happy and get reasonable gas milage considering its a truck/camper. I'm quite tall so giving up the space in the Grandby for a Taco/Eagle set up just did not seem worth it. I'll post some pics of the new rig once I get it all set up.

Back
Top Bottom