Tacoma flatbed FWC

Owning a 2016 Tacoma with a Fleet flatbed, I would disagree with the 'under powered' sentiment. Yes the camper is too heavy for the Tacoma, but power is not the problem at least with the new v6 and 6 speed auto. With a fully loaded camper we are only at 1/3 the Tacoma's tow rating (6800 lb) and can easily keep up with traffic on steep grades such as Eisenhower tunnel on I-70. I am not sure what the author of the article expects, but it is a camper truck, not a sports car. The weight issue is really an issue with the suspension, not power.

Power with the V6 4.0 is not a problem with the tacomas. However it does come at a price - low MPG! With a Scan Guage I used to constantly watch my fuel consumption and it is was an eye opener. But I fixed it - I do not look at it going up hill. :p
I am not sure how towing capacity comes into play when we are dealing with load, unless your towing also. Before the FWC I had a pop up camper that weighed #3500 and I rarely felt it behind me except when stopping.
Tacomas are not know for their braking ability. With upgraded rotors and pads its much better but they only last12-18 months, but then again I play hard.

Towing capacity comes into play in terms of power/weight ratio. Driving along, the engine doesn't care if the weight is loaded in the bed, or being pulled along behind in a trailer. My point was that if the Tacoma has enough engine/transmission to tow 6800 lbs, it certainly has enough engine for carting a 1500lb camper around. The suspension clearly cares about the weight.

The newer Tacoma's have a little more power and get slightly better fuel economy, but fuel economy is still pretty brutal with the extra load/wind resistance of the camper.

rando said:
Owning a 2016 Tacoma with a Fleet flatbed, I would disagree with the 'under powered' sentiment. Yes the camper is too heavy for the Tacoma, but power is not the problem at least with the new v6 and 6 speed auto. With a fully loaded camper we are only at 1/3 the Tacoma's tow rating (6800 lb) and can easily keep up with traffic on steep grades such as Eisenhower tunnel on I-70. I am not sure what the author of the article expects, but it is a camper truck, not a sports car. The weight issue is really an issue with the suspension, not power.
I'm sure you are aware that tow rating is a lot different from tee weight carrying limit?

kmcintyre said:
I'm sure you are aware that tow rating is a lot different from the weight carrying limit? At 6800 lbs that'd be a >3 ton truck
Of course if it is different when it comes to suspension and axels and the like. But in terms of the load the engine sees it doesn't matter whether the weight is in the truck bed or in a trailer. The engine still needs to accelerate that amount of mass up to a certain speed, or move that amount of mass up a hill.

So which is more efficient carrying a load or towing a load? It would take a bit of testing to prove either way and would it only apply to the truck tested or all similiar ( mid size, full size etc.) trucks? Which do you want torque or horsepower for hauling, for towing? Towing obviously has additional friction and areodynamic drag. Makes for a good debate around a campfire with an adult beverage. :p
Cheers!

I used to own a '66 Ford Econoline HD long body van. The 240ci was nearly dead when I got the vehicle so I had a 300ci rebuilt to replace it. On it's own it got about 11 mpg unless going 80, then it got 9-10 mpg. I used it to tow the avatar dune buggy around SoKA's various off-roading areas. Towing the DB it got 13 mpg (!) unless going 80, then it got 11.

Regardless of the combo, the aerodynamics of the combo will play an important role in the mpg returned. So a test of any one truck/trailer vs. truck/camper is only going to be valid for those two tested combos.

hoyden said:
a bit off-topic, but Captm - what upgrade upgraded rotors and pads did you do on your Taco?
I have EBC's stage 4 slotted/dimpled rotors and the green stuff pads. Haven't had them for very long so I can't speak to their performance just yet.

Back
Top Bottom