Tacoma question

Skeeter

I am about to pull the trigger on a used 2002 Tacoma double cab. My only concern is the cg/loading of my Ranger II on a short bed. I guess it will only hang off 1.5'. I only have a shell and that works great for us, but Im a little concerned about having so much weight towards the rear of the truck. Does anyone on here have this setup? Please feel free to ring in! -Joel

Wow that was a beautiful drive, thanks for linking that one. Gawd damn I love living in the west!

I think you're gonna want sway bars and a lot of tire PSI there, Skeeter.

Not my taste with camper hanging out. I agree with BBS about the sway bars. Maybe air bags as well. Didn't Toyota make a STD bed crew cab version as well? that would be my choice.

CWD

Thanks for the link Kcowyo! Seeing what it looked like and reading about his frame cracks convinced me that I should stay away from that combo. I just did so much work to my camper that I really dont feel like "down sizing" to a Falcon. I think the 2nd generation Tacomas have a standard bed option. I have been truck shoping for 4 months and have yet so find one. I think I will stick to something more conventional. I appreciate the input guys!

I think I may have found my truck, a 2003 Taco. Is there anything I should look for that any of you missed when you bought yours? I know about the frame rust, is there anything else that anyone could recommend? I am taking it to a Toyota dealer for a prebuy inspection. Thanks!

I have my camper on a T100 but I also own a 2000 Tacoma Ext Cab and if I was going to put my camper on the Taco I would box in the frame between the spring hangers.Some 4x4 fab outfits sell precut plates for that purpose.

I think using airbags without upgrading springs may have something to do with the stress cracks on some frames.Heavy duty springs would be a must.Having a camper hanging over the tailgate can't help either.

That said,cracked frames are not a common problem and is usually a result of overloading and or,off road use.

Just got home from Tucson and bought a 2003 extra cab Tacoma. I half to wake up a 3 am to catch a ride to New York, wont be home for two weeks. Will post pics when I get the FWC mounted. I hate when I half to wait!

I was going to put my camper on the Taco I would box in the frame between the spring hangers.Some 4x4 fab outfits sell precut plates for that purpose.

This. LMM is dead-on.

Here's a link to a reinforcement product with some details & pics.

Congrats on the new truck!

I have a 2004 tacoma Doublecab that has a 5 foot bed. My camper is 7 feet long and It does hang off the tailgate a foot or so, see avatar pic.

I understand that the weight is over and behind the rear axle, and have had some issues with frame bending/cracking above airbags, but with some reinforcement plates of thick steel it's holding. And Iv'e done ALOT of offroading with the camper on.

But what about the big hard sided TC's that have the big extra piece hanging down off the back of the truck. That is also alot of weight behind the rear axle too?

I don't mind going over the recommended payload on my 1/2 ton truck a little (from time to time).

Get the truck better set up to carry the extra weight.

Add some air bags, or stiff over-load springs.

Add a good set of D or E rated tires.

Etc. Etc. Etc.

But if I start bending the truck frame, I'm gonna sell that truck ASAP and get a 3/4 ton truck.

If you ever get in an accident, you might want to kiss it all goodbye.

:(

Most any lawyer will take that case.

I don't think any insurance company would cover you if you have over loaded the truck that much.

I doubt they will pay out if they can find a reason not to.

:(

Back
Top Bottom