Tacoma vs Frontier

Brewskier

Advanced Member
I was hoping somebody could clear this up for me. I was researching the payloads of both trucks, and what I'm gathering is that the Tacoma, for some reason, is able to haul a lot more weight than the Frontier. Is there any particular reason for this? The Tacomas seem to have about 300-400 more pounds of payload capacity, even though they have a lower GVWR. Does this make sense? Does anybody know the reason?

2004 Frontier. Payload - 970 lbs, GVWR - 5421 lbs

2004 Tacoma Payload - 1395 lbs , GVWR - 5100 lbs

What's even more confusing is that I've read on other forums that the Nissan is better at hauling stuff, particularly in the newer trucks since they have a more powerful engine. However, the payload amounts are still low even on the newer trucks... barely above 1100 lbs. I would definitely be interested in a Frontier if a good one came along, but if it can't haul a camper very well I might have no use for them.

I don't think any Nissan could survive like a Toyota:

Part 1:

Part 2:

Part 3:

I think this is my favorite Top Gear.

Toyota likes to play games with specs.
Tacoma Curb weight (Auto) - 3705, Maximum GVWR 5100 = total payload 1395
Frontier Curb Weight (Auto) - 4123, Maximum GVWR - 5421 = total payload 1302.
Frontier's 970 lb payload is with standard 2 occupants.

Toyota plays same game with ground clearance. While everyone else lists clearance under axle housing or something like that. Toyota specs are running ground clearance in the middle of the frame.

Toyota plays same game with ground clearance. While everyone else lists clearance under axle housing or something like that. Toyota specs are running ground clearance in the middle of the frame.

I've owned both and IMO and only MO the Nissan is equal except in price which is significantly less. I obviously am in the minority with that opinion.

Toyota sold 91,562 light trucks in April 2012.
Nissan sold 27,745. Not even close. Total vehicle sales last month for Nissan was 27,745 and 178,044 for Toyota. Like I said I'm in the minority.

I wouldn't say they "play games" with the specs. Most trucks I looked at reported payload as Max GVWR - curb weight. And my Tundra's ground clearance (stock) was exactly as reported when measured from the lowest hanging part, the shield over the gas tank, and not the middle of the frame (which is a good measure because you aren't likely to hit a diff, but you are likely to hit something hanging down under the middle of the truck).

ALL manufacturer's "play games" with specs. GVWR is nothing more than a made up number decided by a committee. It's an argument between engineers, marketing people and lawyers.

Reported specs are always combination of marketing/legal. Curb weight & GVWR are more of legal land that dictates vehicle classification etc. Clearance is not so much. Toyota lists 10" of clearance for truck with 29" tires - no way. Just like Land Cruiser I used to own is listed with 10.8" while rest of the world showed much more modest 225 mm. This might have gotten better with later model trucks.

As I understand it, 2004 and up Frontiers have a shortened version if the Titan frame. This is a fully boxed frame, compared to the Tacoma's not boxed frame. It seems to me that the Frontier would beat the Tacoma in this regard. Obviously there are other factors to consider in weight capacity (engine, brakes, suspension).

I think they're both hands down the two best midsize trucks. They were really the only two smaller trucks I looked at. In the end I went with the Tacoma based on looks and of course that's subjective. But if I were looking for a great deal and more bang for my buck I would probably go with the Nissan, because for some reason they just seem to have a lower used value. So for less money you get more truck for the same money. And this is coming from a guy that is on his 4th Toyota truck.

As I understand it, 2004 and up Frontiers have a shortened version if the Titan frame. This is a fully boxed frame, compared to the Tacoma's not boxed frame. It seems to me that the Frontier would beat the Tacoma in this regard. Obviously there are other factors to consider in weight capacity (engine, brakes, suspension).

Back
Top Bottom