Tags Needed?

tk254254

Advanced Member
In Oregon, getting tags mid-expiration is very expensive. I have seen quite a few pop-up campers with no plates and no tags. I have also seen a lot of traditional campers with no tags.

Anyone actually ever been popped for not tags on a camper? I know that per the law they are required, that's not what I am asking.

Thanks.

Per Oregon DMV if your camper is less than 5.5' tall, it is not a camper and does not need to be registered.

Oregon DMV camper page

I have had mine in the back of my truck for months at a time and never had a problem.

Per Oregon DMV if your camper is less than 5.5' tall, it is not a camper and does not need to be registered.

Oregon DMV camper page

I have had mine in the back of my truck for months at a time and never had a problem.

Well, I guess they are not specific if it is measured open or shut, but it wouldn't ever be open on the highway! Since mine is a keystone, it does have the pickup turn signals covered, so that might make it seem a little less like a canopy.

I have not heard of anyone getting cited yet.

Can it happen?

Sure it would be possible.

But over the last 10 years I haven't heard of anyone getting popped for no plate in Oregon on their pop-up camper.

The old Keystone Models were pretty long, and with the wrap around on the back of the camper, it might draw an officers' eye a bit more that the newer style FWC's.

I guess it would just be a personal choice.

The good thing about the registration fees in Oregon for RV's is that all of the funds go back into the State Park system to help keep the park system going.

:)

But over the last 10 years I haven't heard of anyone getting popped for no plate in Oregon on their pop-up camper.

Ding ding ding, folks we have a winner. This is all I had to hear.

Thanks Stan, please note that I did not take this as legal advice and will not be sending you my ticket if I get pinched!

They use the term "any point", in WA they specifically say when fully deployed. So FWC usually qualifies. That said don't ask me to show you a plate on mine... cause I must have forgot it at home or something like that. :p

You know, there's just some things that are better to go ahead and do and ask for forgiveness later....

This appears to be one of them.

Even though this has been settled, and I'm late to the party, I'm an Oregonian, too...so FWIW:

I bought plates right after I bought my camper, in late 2005...but I never mounted them. And since then I never renewed the stickers (on those plates nestled in the center console of my truck).
rolleyes.gif

I occasionally worried about, wondered if, I'd get stopped some time for lack of plates.
huh.gif
So far, not.

Last year when somebody else brought up this topic I checked Oregon's DMV website and for the first time saw the part about "is 5.5 feet or more in height...". I measured my camper to confirm that when driving it's less than 5.5 feet in height and at that point decided that my plateless, tagless camper is legit in Oregon.
smile.gif

So, no more dodging the Oregon State Police required.
tongue.gif

Well, I guess they are not specific if it is measured open or shut, but it wouldn't ever be open on the highway! Since mine is a keystone, it does have the pickup turn signals covered, so that might make it seem a little less like a canopy.

I wouldn't bet on it not ever being open on the highway. Just saying. :rolleyes:

Mike

Back
Top Bottom