Tahoe to Loon Lake

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior
We just completed a four day tour of our backyard :) It is Susan's birthday and her choice of destination. We planned to attend the Sand Harbor Shakespeare Festival on Lake Tahoe, Saturday night. The plan was to boondock it that night in the TNF. It worked out great. We had front row seats and laughed at the excellent comedy of Twelve Night. Sitting out under the moon taking in a play, with a glass of wine in hand is a good way to adsorb culture. ;)

The winds were brisk on Saturday when we arrived and I checked the conditions: 12 mph wind by 2pm. Our goal was a long paddle down the eastern shore of Tahoe, but we opted to explore the northern shore towards Incline Village in case the wind kicked up. But you know the weatherman isn't reliable :p Instead it was mild conditions, but we had a good paddle anyway.
large.jpg

The water was sublime.
137135698.jpg

137135699.jpg

We left Sand Harbor in the afternoon with the goal of driving 100 miles around the South Shore to Hwy 50 / Echo Summit. Our goal was to reach Loon Lake on Ice House Rd. We got there in the afternoon and found our site to be excellent with our own beach access.
The kayaks were unloaded and dinner was grilled (fresh salsa, green-lipped mussels on tortillas and home-made frijoles). Life was good.

137135700.jpg

More to come . . .

Lighthawk,

You know there's a shortcut through Rubicon Springs.
You've got to love the color of Tahoe. Great pictures.

Lighthawk,

You know there's a shortcut through Rubicon Springs.
You've got to love the color of Tahoe. Great pictures.

LOL :D :rolleyes: :unsure: :oops:

We spent two nights at Loon Lake, enjoying the granite peaks and jewel-like waters. A camp where you can have your kayaks beached, ready to go, is a real treat.

137141737.jpg

137141742.jpg

We paddled out to the granite peninsula that divides Loon from (formerly separate) Pleasant Lake. The wind had kicked up so we decided to beach on the upwind side and walk to the leeward side for swimming. The glacial erratic boulders and bonsai trees are part of a perfect landscape for me.

137141739.jpg

137141738.jpg

137141735.jpg

We enjoyed observing the family of osprey that inhabit the lake. I should say they OWN the lake. There were five of them cruising overhead and we saw them dive and take away fish several times. I did not catch a good shot of that unfortunately.

137141741.jpg

Osprey over Tells Peak

137132212.jpg

137132214.jpg

Inverted

137132192.jpg

137132216.jpg

That night we were fortunate to have some special guests come up and visit with us.
Ski3pin and The Lady made the drive up to meet us. They live just down the hill and know Loon Lake environs quite well as skiers and hikers.

The evening was relaxing with the four of us sitting on the beach admiring a beautiful high sierra sunset. We munched on toasted bread with sun-dried tomatoes in olive oil as we exchanged stories and got to know each other. Monte suggested a good route home via Wentworth Springs. As the evening grew cooler we sat around the campfire enjoying corn on the cob and other veggies off the grill. It was a nice visit and another example to me of the quality of people we have on this site who share similar outdoor passions. All too soon the evening came to an end and Ski & Lady headed home.

We enjoyed one more paddle to 'osprey island' the next morning. We saw a bald eagle try to horn in on the osprey territory and get chased off. Pretty amazing to watch, but darn it! I was in the water and away from the camera.

The drive home was a treat, cruising on empty roads back to Georgetown/Cool/Auburn and back up Hwy 49 to home. It was only 80 miles going this route and we know we'll be back.

Love that turquoise water in pic#1. You guys have it made living where you do. Oh, and a belated Happy Birthday to Susan!

Good show on those osprey pics, Andy!
Those granite alpine lakes are great! (and something in short supply in Oregon...outside of the Wallowas. We do have osprey though -- along the Deschutes in downtown Bend, even).

It's amazing to still see snow so late in the season. It must have been quite a winter up there.
I'm heading to the Shaver Lake area next week and understand several of the trails are still closed.

Great TR!! Living in Incline Village we're truly blessed and it's funny how often we feel like we need to "get away"....it's nice to realize it's pretty great to just stay home once in a while too.

Great TR!! Living in Incline Village we're truly blessed and it's funny how often we feel like we need to "get away"....it's nice to realize it's pretty great to just stay home once in a while too.

:)

Lighthawk and SR, it was great to spend the evening with you two! Thanks for your gracious hospitality.

Back
Top Bottom