Tailgate on or off?

jmjnl

New owner with 04 Grandby on a GMC short bed 6.5' - does the 1.5' overhang of the box need to be supported by the tailgate or is it fine without any support? Also wondering about support (or not) when the camper is off the truck and on the jacks? Thanks in advance for all help, this forum is excellent!

I have the same, Chevy with 6.5' bed and a Grandby. Leave the tailgate on.

If the camper is on jacks off the truck support the floor if you want to walk inside the camper. There are several options, an X made with plywood or sawhorses are probably the easiest.

LookyLou said:
I have the same, Chevy with 6.5' bed and a Grandby. Leave the tailgate on.
If the camper is on jacks off the truck support the floor if you want to walk inside the camper. There are several options, an X made with plywood or sawhorses are probably the easiest.
Sounds to me like there's not any choice in the matter- the 1.5' overhang MUST be supported. Earlier posts discuss this mostiy in the context of the camper fitting the bed and the tailgate issue being strictly a matter of preference.

I use four pressure treated 2x4's to support the camper full length on my Tundra rather than having the tailgate on, reason being I can't get at the spare tire with the tailgate down.

jmjnl said:
Sounds to me like there's not any choice in the matter- the 1.5' overhang MUST be supported. Earlier posts discuss this mostiy in the context of the camper fitting the bed and the tailgate issue being strictly a matter of preference.
It's not really a choice. The tailgate will also reduce the camper moving and shifting in the bed. Also, unlike the other trucks like the Tundra access to the spare tire isn't blocked. You may want to add a small extension to the rods to clear the tailgate (I didn't) but other than that getting the spare tire out is normal.

I've heard others say the tailgate will get messed up by gravel roads but I haven't seen that problem. The paint on my tailgate is in better shape than the paint on the sides of the truck.

LookyLou said:
It's not really a choice. The tailgate will also reduce the camper moving and shifting in the bed. Also, unlike the other trucks like the Tundra access to the spare tire isn't blocked. You may want to add a small extension to the rods to clear the tailgate (I didn't) but other than that getting the spare tire out is normal.

I've heard others say the tailgate will get messed up by gravel roads but I haven't seen that problem. The paint on my tailgate is in better shape than the paint on the sides of the truck.
Thanks LookyLou! What are you using for access steps?

jmjnl said:
Thanks LookyLou! What are you using for access steps?
Xtend+Climb 3 Step Folding Safety Step Stool W/ Handrail - WT-3

Not the cheapest or the lightest option but very stable and feels more like stairs than a ladder. I've tried a couple of different ladders/steps and for me this had been the best by far. It's available from many sources just Google search the name above.

I'll play odd-man-out and suggest that under some circumstances you'd be fine losing the tailgate. From my point of view (FWC Grandby Shell w/ 16" overhang on a Nissan Titan KingCab) the pros of taking that action include: a de facto 65-lb or so increase in available payload capacity; ability to mount 'stuff' along the underside of the overhang; enabling access to the spare tire hoist that would otherwise be inaccessible with a down tailgate. I can think of no cons from having taken that action in my setup, since I'm a function-over-form guy. Weight distribution of your Grandby's config and options will be the primary factor in determining whether no-tailgate is feasible for you. In my case, I use a 60" strip of angle iron along the lower corner of the camper tensioned with lengths of chain turnbuckled to the truck body to beef up the camper support in this area in lieu of the tailgate. Heavy stuff goes to the front of the camper, always. After 3.5+ years of wandering the West in our rig, no-tailgate seems like a satisfactory setup so far and worth your consideration, as it may or may not be a good fit for you.
Rico

RicoV said:
I'll play odd-man-out and suggest that under some circumstances you'd be fine losing the tailgate. From my point of view (FWC Grandby Shell w/ 16" overhang on a Nissan Titan KingCab) the pros of taking that action include: a de facto 65-lb or so increase in available payload capacity; ability to mount 'stuff' along the underside of the overhang; enabling access to the spare tire hoist that would otherwise be inaccessible with a down tailgate. I can think of no cons from having taken that action in my setup, since I'm a function-over-form guy. Weight distribution of your Grandby's config and options will be the primary factor in determining whether no-tailgate is feasible for you. In my case, I use a 60" strip of angle iron along the lower corner of the camper tensioned with lengths of chain turnbuckled to the truck body to beef up the camper support in this area in lieu of the tailgate. Heavy stuff goes to the front of the camper, always. After 3.5+ years of wandering the West in our rig, no-tailgate seems like a satisfactory setup so far and worth your consideration, as it may or may not be a good fit for you.
Rico
Spare tire access isn't an issue in Chevys and GMC's with the tailgate down. There isn't any additional work or fabrication required to drop the tailgate. If you need to worry about 65# of payload, you have the wrong truck.

But when you're a weight-weenie like me, every little bit of payload efficiency helps.

RicoV said:
But when you're a weight-weenie like me, every little bit of payload efficiency helps.
I agree. I like to keep the weight on my truck under control also.

Another reason to keep the tailgate on - my old camper was an 8' Hallmark that sat on my 6 1/2' bed ram. My son was backing up the truck to leave our camping spot. We were both in the cab and I told him "all clear" so he started moving back a bit too fast. Needless to say, we hit a tree we couldn't see. Ruined the tailgate, but saved the camper. We both learned a lesson that day.

Back
Top Bottom