Tailgate Overhang

KThomas

Noob question for sure --

Researching sizes of pop up campers that will fit and function well on my '06 Tacoma.

What is a safe and acceptable amount of camper to extend past the end of a dropped tailgate?
Seems to me that 4" would be safe, but 6", 8", 10"??
I realize this shifts the center of gravity rearward with each extension; but how much is too much?

Thanks for all the great feedback -
KT

Also remember to see if you can lower the spare tire with your tailgate down. You may have to rig up something different from the long rod that comes with your truck.

Bad idea to extend much past the truck end, let alone the tailgate end. Also your Tacoma is pretty light to begin with. ALL of the weight will be sitting on your rear axle.

Good to know thx all.

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

Ted said:
Also remember to see if you can lower the spare tire with your tailgate down. You may have to rig up something different from the long rod that comes with your truck.
My tail gate is on with my camper and I had to drill a secondary hole behind my license plate in order to access my spare tire, which was something I wasn't aware of until it was mentioned in this forum.

The 2 nd gen Tacoma bed is about 6 inches shorter than our old 1999 1 st gen. So the Eagle extends 5 inches beyond the tail lights - 3 inches beyond the bumper.

A lowered tailgate will block the " rod" hole that lets the spare tire down.

As you are researching be mindful of the camper weight. Our 2013 access cab with tailgate removed plus 10 ply "E" rated tires and a custom 4 leaf rear spring set ( rated to support 1,500 pounds) weighs 4,200 pounds. Published gross is 5,500 pounds. Tires and and axels are rated for 6,000 pounds. Brakes rated for 5,500.

Empty modified she'll weighs 1,100 pounds. = 5,300 pounds without passengers or camping gear.

Tacoma has a 4 liter V-6 and 5- speed auto transmission with towing pkg (3.73 rear geared axel) giving us plenty of torque with premium gas. We downshift the transmission to save the brakes.

Adding our modified shell and camping gear for a week in the desert and me pushes the weight up to 6,200 pounds.

The ATC and FWC are the lightest campers available . Don't buy any camper unless you weigh it first.

Are there any other ideas for accessing the spare tire? An extension on the rod? Can you post a pic of the hole you drilled?
I found a camper that will extend 15" onto my tailgate (no over hang!) so I have get this figured out.

Also - what are the pros and cons of Brophy tie downs that come with it?

Thx friends.

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

Back
Top Bottom