This is what the word is from FWC:
FWC uses a 12 gauge wire from the solar plug to the batteries. We have
checked with the panel manufacturer and the 12 gauge is fine. FWC will
not do the wiring in an 8 gauge wire. The wiring from the truck
charging system to the camper is a 10 gauge. FWC has never used 8
gauge wiring on the solar system.

Best Regards,
Matt

I guess I can live with that, if I ever need to change it, I hope it's not too difficult to access the wires. Dan

I've noticed a similar response from FWC about other requests I've had in the past too.
You are certainly correct that a smaller gauge wire would make the charging cycles more efficient.
In their defense, FWC has also told me their desire to keep production exactly the same to maintain a certain level of quality across their product.
I think this is why ATC and others have the market share they do. If you want all custom, FWC isn't for you.
I love mine and would only replace it with an XP at this point.

If your worried about solar wiring, use a higher voltage panel with MPPT controller. I run 340 watts of solar no problem on 12 gauge wire with that.

The wiring is not easy to replace by the way - in my opinion. But it works fine, in the factory specs, for many of us.

Dan,
I was at Mainline today. I did not know to make an appt. for Saturdays but Matt sent his dad Tom to meet me and show me the campers. Tom was the nicest guy and very patient. I had a bazillion questions and he answered what he could and showed me the Hawk/ Hawk shell and Granby. I was there over an hour. Great service from MLO.
I took a good look at the wiring and it was okay but I did not like the type of wire they used, don't like crimps and would have used a heavier guage wire. I am sure they are at code but being a technician I have my own ideas about how to do things.
I did think the campers were very well built and would not hesitate to buy one but the wiring would be an issue. I would like a min of 10 gauge for the solar and I would run a min of 8 maybe 6 from the alternator. The less loss the better the charge and the less stress on the device supplying the voltage. Just my preference. I may have to get a shell and do it all myself though I really would rather not have too...lol Getting lazy in my old age.
Propane install seemed good and all the cabinetry and cushions were well done. They used square drive screws, nice touch. I really like the look of the Silver Spur.
I am sure you will love your camper and once I figure out which truck I want I will be looking for my project:)

I spoke with Matt at mainline and he suggested picking the camper up on the following Monday the 16th of March. In case there are any setbacks or travel delays. So it looks like my dad and I will be driving up on that Sunday before and getting a room then going to mainline on Monday for the install. TWO MORE DAYS ADDED AAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH,!!!

I am jealous! Just got an email today from Matt, and my order that we expected in April, will not be there till May now. I can't pickup till middle May. It's all good, as it gives me a few more pay days to squirrel away more money for that final payment.

100acrehuphalump said:
I spoke with Matt at mainline and he suggested picking the camper up on the following Monday the 16th of March. In case there are any setbacks or travel delays. So it looks like my dad and I will be driving up on that Sunday before and getting a room then going to mainline on Monday for the install. TWO MORE DAYS ADDED AAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH,!!!
I can't afford to loose much week day time for a while because the harsh winter backed up work for me.
Fridays are my only chance this month because I want to spend one or two nights in the woods of Pa. before I drive back and discover a problem at home.
Not that I'm sure I'm going to have one, its just that few things are completely on the money the first time out of the gate and when I pick it up I'm probably going to go into sensory overload and the camper could be pink and I wouldn't notice. So pickup day is going to have to be on a Friday for me and if not on the 13 th most likely the 20th. That's almost 4 months from the order date, but its a perfect time of year to pick one up.
Dan, say high to my camper for me and Best of Luck with your new rig.

Congrats. I think you ordered your camper 3 weeks earlier than me but your getting yours more than a month earlier than me. You should sign up for a photo sharing service like photo bucket.

March 20th, a little more then a week to go for me. Close to 3 years since I became a member.
I'm ready.
Mike in Woodland text me this photo yesterday, my camper getting ready for it's trip to the east. Mike was great to work with and he was more into my camper then me, almost.
Anyway, I'm ready.

Attachments

• IMG_1337-4.JPG
    IMG_1337-4.JPG
    125.4 KB · Views: 235
Mike is a great guy. Worked with me on my camper too.

I like the look of your camper - looks terrific!

Reminds me of the Carly Simon song "Anticipation" :D Seemed like forever waiting on my Eagle and now that I have it I'm waiting for my Aluminess rear bumper to ship. ;) The camper was totally worth the wait, though.

Stalking Light said:
Reminds me of the Carly Simon song "Anticipation" :D Seemed like forever waiting on my Eagle and now that I have it I'm waiting for my Aluminess rear bumper to ship. ;) The camper was totally worth the wait, though.
Are you installing the bumper yourself. I was thinking about getting one for my F-250. A little additional safety for the camper. jd

I decided to have it installed, I'll save about half of what the installation will cost by having it shipped to a business instead of a residence. I'm getting one delux box and will mount the spare on the other swing out. I'm also planning on mounting my 4gal Rotopax on top of the box so I'll have more storage and fuel capacity when it gets done.

Back
Top Bottom