You guys sure do some neat stuff ! :D

So, what's the story, please, Stan ?

Cheers,
Frank

Attachments

• P1010026.JPG
    P1010026.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 291
I've got a friend who is ummm.... big, I think you'd say. And he runs an old hard side NCO popup and loves it. He'd be all over something like this!!

That's a very good question !
Stan ?

Aerodynamics come to mind…

The CO space is important, but there are 'issues' with having the bed up there that, if avoidable, would have a lot of interest for folks perhaps. If the sleeping area were up high, then we would have to build in protection for our dogs, for example. The risk of one of them falling is something to avoid at all costs.

If the NCO's floorplan is somehow set up to have the CO's sleeping area down low, I would very much like to see that...

I wouldn't want to lose the overhead sleeping area, but this Alaskan design looks interesting. I am planning on building my shell similiar. I would think it would be best to have the weight centered as it is in these pics. Check out the pic of the refer. I don't think I would have the shelf go all the way across. Maybe a SMEV sink and burner combo? You would lose the window into the truck, but on my Frontier crew cab it doesn't open anyway.

http://www.alaskancamper.com/mini.html

The non-co makes some sense with the Alaskan as it allows for a true hardsided pop up without the fold up panels that the full sized Alaskan uses. I really couldn't think of a good reason to not have a CO in a FWC.

That's a very good question !
Stan ?

Aerodynamics come to mind…

The CO space is important, but there are 'issues' with having the bed up there that, if avoidable, would have a lot of interest for folks perhaps. If the sleeping area were up high, then we would have to build in protection for our dogs, for example. The risk of one of them falling is something to avoid at all costs.

If the NCO's floorplan is somehow set up to have the CO's sleeping area down low, I would very much like to see that...

My dog has slept up there for years, never had a problem of falling off. Nor myself.

My dog has slept up there for years, never had a problem of falling off. Nor myself.

I've fallen out of mine a few times. :(

I agree with DD, the Alaskan makes sense but the FWC doesn't. Also, aesthetically I think the NCO looks a bit funny.

Just my 2 cents.

I agree with DD, the Alaskan makes sense but the FWC doesn't. Also, aesthetically I think the NCO looks a bit funny.

Just my 2 cents.

Another +1 on that. No reason for a NCO FWC unless the buyer is using the shell for something else or just wants a single couch to sleep on or such. Its not like there is some magical physics revelation stepping into an NCO which magically frees up all kinds of space that didn't previously exist.

what does everybody think the advantages of a NCO are? Lower COG? Lighter?

On my dodge i could have seen the advantage with all the wind noise that came from from the cab over into the door seals.

I don't see any benefit to a non-cabover four wheel camper ?

(unless it was built as a box and only cab high)

Having the cabover bed is a BIG benefit, not a draw back IMO.

When we built that last Hawk Model with the really, really short stubby cabover, it made no sense to me personally.

He didn't save any money and he lost alot of cabover bed space.

The resale value of the camper will less down the road too.

The camper still sticks the same height up over the truck cab, so I don't thnk there is a big wind resistance reduction ?

BUT, it is what the customer really wanted.

He was set on that and HE liked it.

I guess everyone has different wants, needs, and desires.

He went away as happy as could be.

:)

Well, I guess the customer is always right, even if he's not.
If he was that happy, then job well done !
Thanks for clarifying that, Stan... :D

The only advantage I can see is if you have specific needs. Maybe someone that travels alone and wants to mount a large rooftop rack on the truck. That would certainly apply to me on many occasions when I have to tow a trailer to haul stuff to setup a remote pit for offroad races. A rack would handle everything for me and make boondocking on race courses a lot easier.
BX

Back
Top Bottom