Telemark Turns at Timberline

Ted said:
Donna and I are not skiers. No problems with the sport, just did not grow up with it and didn't pick it up as adults. That being said, we tried to read this thread but can't understand much of it. Tried Google translate but it did not help. What language are all of you using???

:LOL:
First you need to eat granola, then work your way through to beer...
If you still don't know, talk to those crazy Three Pinners!

I am so pleased this video hit on so many good memories from this crowd! There is so much grace and eloquence when we bend the knees and lift the heels! :)

None of us are too old not to be still getting out there. And we're wise enough to honor whatever gear gets you out in the mountain snow.

Ted said:
Donna and I are not skiers. No problems with the sport, just did not grow up with it and didn't pick it up as adults. That being said, we tried to read this thread but can't understand much of it. Tried Google translate but it did not help. What language are all of you using???

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Telecrash is the native language used in this thread.

fuzzymarindave said:
It has been said that you have to free your heel to free your mind.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
I think that was from the gospel of St Paul (Parker).

Lighthawk said:
I have been known to wear kneepads, inbounds.

Lighthawk said:
First you need to eat granola, then work your way through to beer...
If you still don't know, talk to those crazy Three Pinners!

Free the Heel, Plant the Face.
My ski history:
Fischer Touring Crowns - ankle high leather boots
Fischer Europas- Hireling leather boots - above the ankle
a few pairs of old Rossignol skis with various tele bindings
and plastic boots!

I cannot remember all the Tua skis I had over the years but I think I went through two pairs called Big Easy.
I am on my second pair of K-2 Schi Devil skis and my third or fourth pair of Scarpa T-2s.

I was on the tele skis last week but I have to disclose that I have gone to the dark side - spent more time locked down than not this season - except when I was out touring.

Our telemark group was actually a bunch of beer drinkers with the bad habit of telemark skiing. We would meet every Friday evening at the Rogue Brewpub in Ashland, Oregon, to plot our next adventures.

Below is our logo (FITS) that was awarded to us by a couple of randonee skiers who didn’t approve of where we were skiing on Mt Shasta. The last two letters are for “Telemark Skiers”, I’ll let you interpret the rest.

It was a wonderful group of friends, some have passed, some are in their 90s now, Diana and I were some of the younger folks in the group. Those were fun times, I miss both the times and the people. In particular the people.

gallery_4841_711_1417930.jpeg

Lighthawk said:
I have been known to wear kneepads, inbounds.
I have as well. I like bumps. And when wearing old in the boot stretch pants in the spring the black and yellow knee pads were on the outside.

Ski brings up a good point. It doesn’t really matter what gear you use, just get out there. My wife and I try to ski at least 15 days/year (we have to travel to the snow and she still works) but it keeps us young…at least in heart and spirit. My season pass is my gym membership.

Year 1999 I damaged my knee. Gave up competitive volleyball and tele-skiing for a extended usefulness of a knee later in life. So far so good but not without issues.

These are the last skis I was using and some how they are still in the shop.
IMAG1244-ski1.jpg
IMAG1246-ski2.jpg

Powder in the trees :)

Something to enjoy as the slush is coming down here. As least we're getting some water from the sky.

Ted said:

With ya Ted. I just smile and nod my head :)

Back
Top Bottom