Temagami, Ontario

buckland

Site Team
We want to head to Temagami, Ontario this summer and want as much feedback from folks who have been canoeing, camping and exploring the log roads in the area. Any and all advice and recommendations appreciated. We have a 2011 Eagle on a 2001 Tacoma and are experienced backwoods campers.

Attachments

• maplocation2.jpg
    maplocation2.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 204
Alright now folks there must be somebody who has stomped these grounds... it is in the midwest boonies but it is a glorious area.
We would love any and all experiences... even the bad and ugly. Love to be prepared for the worse.

Well, we plan to go in August so there is still time...however in the spirit of WTW I will be sure to post the adventure when we go with some pointers and photos. Learning by testing the depth of water with both feet is always the last but usually the most fun way to go.

Somebody has to be first... might as well be you. :) We look forward to hearing how it goes- we might add this to our trip list too.

The one thing I remember about camping in Ontario was being frustrated with their prices and permit system. At the time (2003 or so), I considered anything over $15 a night akin to highway robbery. Prices in the Provincial parks were something on the order of $25 a night at that time and too often the facilities were sub-par for the price. I thought we'd head into the backcountry to both look around and camp cheaply. Then I learned there was a per-person, per-night fee for non-Canadians to camp (dispersed) on crown lands. That meant I not only had to find a place to camp, I also had to go back to get a permit and specify where we were going to camp. We had to drive to a gas station or sporting goods store for the permit, then back to camp.

I guess my advice is to be sure to check into current policies, procedures, and prices for the area in detail before you get on the road to avoid surprises. I see at http://www.ontario.ca/rural-and-north/camping-crown-land that you can now get a permit via email and the fee is a per-person-per-night fee of $9.35 plus tax. With the difference in US and Canadian dollars, perhaps that's not so bad after all (if you don't have kids). Then again, you'll need to figure out how you're going to get those emails.

Also- I see from other browsing that some canoe routes in Ontario require you to reserve where you'll stay each night and of course pay the fees.

As to the Temagami area specifically, I see that's where Grey Owl developed his Indian persona and, perhaps more importantly, his early ideas on conservation....

http://www.pastforward.ca/perspectives/august_112000.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grey_Owl
http://www.northernontario.org/NorthernStories/GreyOwlJL.htm

Gee, I think I need to come up with a Grey Owl trip. Temagami (ON), Riding Mountain NP (M:cool:, and go see his cabin at Prince Albert NP (SK)

Now you're talking, always an adventure out there. You are so right... I have been taken aback by the rules/costs and substandard site management. Though this was 16 years ago I was quite shocked...expecting more from our Canadian brothers who have such a beautiful country. Alas sometimes those who have such vast beauty overlook the need to appreciate and manage wisely locally. It all adds up. We will indeed investigate the fees and routes. We are going to an area where we have a contact with a canoe builder (Swift Canoes) and will do some real research. Better forewarned then arrive sorry.
I will post my findings..... as to owls... our Bard owls (the avian kind) had a hard winter but seem to be happily hooting up a storm as i type this. I live in the boonies...quieter here than most places I go. I have only seen/heard a Great Grey twice... wow what a hoot.
Thanks again

PS Thank you for the links to such great history. I love to learn about who walked there first.

Have been researching the "Crown Land" and Provincial Parks. Haven't found detail info on the ability to just drive on log roads and camp on these lands. I am a US citizen (Irish too!) so will need to pay $20 a night for my wife and I? Haven't found the blog or website that shares this kind of info in the Canadian woods... not he Gov. sites that are generic info. There is so much to see but not sure what I am getting into before the trip. A FWC allows such a small footprint and access to quiet spots. Sure hope this is doable. I envy the folks out west (in US )who can travel the open lands.

The following article may be a bit friendlier than the info you've been finding on government web sites:

http://roadtreking.com/use-of-crown-land-in-ontario-for-rv-camping/

It's a decent overview and basically suggests using the Crown Land Use Policy Atlas web site to find crown lands in the area you're interested in and get GPS coordinates. Then transfer the GPS coordinates to Google Maps' Satellite View and use the satellite photos to look around for the features you think will represent the type of area you're looking for.

That kind of works but here are other possibilities:

- Call or email the Ministry of Natural Resources (I'd guess the Sudbury district office) and ask for assistance locating the types of roads and areas you want to explore, perhaps even specific suggestions.

- buy the Backroads Mapbook for North Eastern Ontario ( http://www.backroadmapbooks.org/index.php?main_page=product_book_info&products_id=205&zenid=jbag0ilfdus13cldr540c3t1a5 ). Become familiar with the legend and particularly the 'area indicators'. These are the land uses and on this map include crown lands. You might also compare what you see there to the Crown Land Use Policy Atlas to double-check that you can rely on the mapbook to keep you off lands you shouldn't be on.

Also familiarize yourself with the road-type symbols. You may want to explore a bit before the trip with Google Maps or Google Earth but in any case once you arrive in the area, you'll quickly learn to pick out the type of road and land-use type suitable for your rig and your interests.

And I'd think you'll want to check that your GPS includes maps for Canada on it and you know how to find the GPS coordinates for points of interest on the mapbook maps and enter them in to your GPS.

-OC

PS-- and if all this seems overwhelming, just go! it always seems to work out, doesn't it?

Indeed it does. I really appreciate your knowledgable advice and will jump right into those suggestions. This forum is such a valuable resource. I am psyched to get up north and start to fly fish. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom