Tenkara?

Nice fish Highz.I always say it's not the size of the fish.I am not a head counter so any fish I catch is fun.Sounds like you are enjoying the Tenkara setup.
I am envious of you that you have a stream in your back yard.
Thanks for the photos.
Frank

Little fish feel bigger on the Tenkara rod, too, and are fun to catch.
smile.gif

Downstream, the Peñasco is wider, but is all private waters there. A few rancher-owners have stocked rainbows and the Mesilla Valley fly fishers have a lease on a few miles of that water. I wonder if there's a natural barrier that keeps the rainbows from getting up to the section I fish on? If so, I wonder if NMDGF would consider stocking Rio Grande Cutthroats in the upper Peñasco? It would be nice to have some native fish here. I should ask if it's possible.

Little fish feel bigger on the Tenkara rod, too, and are fun to catch.
smile.gif

Downstream, the Peñasco is wider, but is all private waters there. A few rancher-owners have stocked rainbows and the Mesilla Valley fly fishers have a lease on a few miles of that water. I wonder if there's a natural barrier that keeps the rainbows from getting up to the section I fish on? If so, I wonder if NMDGF would consider stocking Rio Grande Cutthroats in the upper Peñasco? It would be nice to have some native fish here. I should ask if it's possible.

Highz,if you can get into the water at a legal spot,like the one you use to fish,can you walk the river in the water to the other areas?
Here in Ca and other states you can fish waters even though they go thruogh privet property as long as you stay within the high water area of the body of water and don't enter the privet land itself.
Yeh I like catching the fish around the 12"/16" size.
Frank

Highz,if you can get into the water at a legal spot,like the one you use to fish,can you walk the river in the water to the other areas?
Here in Ca and other states you can fish waters even though they go thruogh privet property as long as you stay within the high water area of the body of water and don't enter the privet land itself.
Yeh I like catching the fish around the 12"/16" size.
Frank

Unfortunately, no, I can't access the water beyond the area of the public lease, unless I have written permission from the landowner, and most landowners want money for that. Private property includes the streambeds here. There's $$$ to be made from private waters in NM and a lot of rich people have grabbed property along trout waters. It basically means that poor folks have to fish the heavily pressured remaining public areas near roads, or go into backcountry areas, or know of the remaining undiscovered public waters (usually far from population centers). It's no wonder that fly anglers have a reputation of being rich snobs here. "Private waters" is discriminatory and ticks me off, but I guess it does reduce fishing pressure.

And I'm not telling the exact location of where I fish on the Peñasco, but anyone who is motivated could find it easily enough.
wink.gif

Unfortunately, no, I can't access the water beyond the area of the public lease, unless I have written permission from the landowner, and most landowners want money for that. Private property includes the streambeds here. There's $$$ to be made from private waters in NM and a lot of rich people have grabbed property along trout waters. It basically means that poor folks have to fish the heavily pressured remaining public areas near roads, or go into backcountry areas, or know of the remaining undiscovered public waters (usually far from population centers). It's no wonder that fly anglers have a reputation of being rich snobs here. "Private waters" is discriminatory and ticks me off, but I guess it does reduce fishing pressure.

And I'm not telling the exact location of where I fish on the Peñasco, but anyone who is motivated could find it easily enough.
wink.gif

Yeh the private waters pisses me off also,so I just fish where I can and enjoy the time I am out on the water.
Frank

Unfortunately, no, I can't access the water beyond the area of the public lease, unless I have written permission from the landowner, and most landowners want money for that. Private property includes the streambeds here. There's $$ to be made from private waters in NM and a lot of rich people have grabbed property along trout waters. It basically means that poor folks have to fish the heavily pressured remaining public areas near roads, or go into backcountry areas, or know of the remaining undiscovered public waters (usually far from population centers). It's no wonder that fly anglers have a reputation of being rich snobs here. "Private waters" is discriminatory and ticks me off, but I guess it does reduce fishing pressure.

wink.gif

Me thinks that a problem all over the west! Private clubs buy up the water/best land, then keep us off; seem when I was still a fed, spent allot of time keeping access to the water/land open, like the private clubs would buy the land and close access to the public behind the fence, we would open the public land up again by needing access for fire fighting. Money speaks I guess, I understand there is another water grab try for the underground water around the Great Basin NP by the Vegis interests again! Slot machines and $ mean more than the environment-after all there is nothing out there but rabbits and sagebrush, so lets take the last of that ice age water so we can play the slots some more-no fish out there in them Great Basin Streams-somehow we got to fight them, go Niners!

Smoke

Me thinks that a problem all over the west! Private clubs buy up the water/best land, then keep us off; seem when I was still a fed, spent allot of time keeping access to the water/land open, like the private clubs would buy the land and close access to the public behind the fence, we would open the public land up again by needing access for fire fighting. Money speaks I guess, I understand there is another water grab try for the underground water around the Great Basin NP by the Vegis interests again! Slot machines and $ mean more than the environment-after all there is nothing out there but rabbits and sagebrush, so lets take the last of that ice age water so we can play the slots some more-no fish out there in them Great Basin Streams-somehow we got to fight them, go Niners!

Smoke

Seems like this grab for "ice age" water is also going on here in the Monterey area.On the old Ft.Ord land developers want,want and want to build,no water for this.But at the 900' aquifer where the water is from the last ice age and extremely slow to replenish they want to tap it.
In our area we are always short of water but not short of developing.With every project it seems like they "find" more water that wasn't there before.Go figure.
Go Niners also.
On the game note.There might be a Samsung commercial about their washing machine.Search this one out on U-Tube.It's about a bear that comes into the area where the film crew is shooting and well... just check it out.It's really cool.
Frank

Smoke,in our California constitution we have use of "navigable" waters even if they flow through private land as long as we access them from a public area and stay within the waters high water banks.Is this for real?
The definition of navigable I think means if you can float some sort of water craft even a float tube.
Frank

Smoke,in our California constitution we have use of "navigable" waters even if they flow through private land as long as we access them from a public area and stay within the waters high water banks.Is this for real?
The definition of navigable I think means if you can float some sort of water craft even a float tube.
Frank

Frank,

Some clarifications....you have to stay within the "Mean" high water mark, not the high water mark of record. What are considered navigable waters can be very contentious. Typically, there are few disputes on medium to large size waters...these areas usually contain BLM or FS watercraft launches and have established fishing economies. In my experience, the problems typically arise in smaller waters where there are private "in holdings" among FS or BLM lands. These waters can be "waded" and crossed without water craft but are also navigable by craft such as float tubes and kayaks.....private land owners on these water typically defend their waters as their land. In my opinion this has become more and more of an issue as fisherman try to find virgin water. While I am inclined to say that I feel like all waters should be open to the public for fishing (assuming you can access from public land) I can also understand the concerns of these property owners. I often come across users who I don't consider respectful of private property and unfortunately that is what private land owners remember. This is a hard one reconcile and keep all sides happy.

My two cents,

Cort

I hear you, Cort, but I still think it is the wrong solution when only rich folks can buy up (and tie up) so much water. In NM, it isn't so much finding virgin water - it is more like finding legal water. To keep pressure down and minimize abuse, I'd rather see a reservation system open to all, instead of excluding everyone who can't afford to pay exorbitant rod fees. Fishing license fees could be used to reimburse private land owners (yeah, everyone's fees would probably go up a bit). Anyway, that's what is done on the section of the Peñasco I go to. The rancher leases to Game and Fish. No reservations are currently needed, but if pressure ever gets too high, that's probably what would happen.

I totally agree Highz. In CA we don't have a lot of waters that are off limits because rich folks have come in and tied up the land...I think that is more of a problem in Idaho, Wyoming, New Mexico, (as you indicate)and Montana. This is just my experience, yours may differ. I don't want to convey in anyway that I believe that I think it is okay for private land owners to "tie" up what I consider a public resource.....just that it is a difficult issue to deal with and that there are two sides to every story. I have worked as a hydrologist/geomorphologist in the river restoration/research field for 13 years and have seen all sides of the story. One of the several thing that keeps me going is seeing how many folks have realized that they can take care of their lands (riparian fencing, fallowing of flood irrigation for cattle, etc)and still make the same amount of money through a balance of sustainable cattle grazing and sustainable fishing. It's all about coming to the middle in my opinion. None of us get what we want when we just stand polarized in "our" corner.

Cort

Cort ,thanks for the info.When I am in unknown waters I don't push the boundaries. I respect the moment.Although it is an issue that the "rich"buy up fishing rights,but I guess that is the way it goes.I have favorite public places that I can fish so that's ok for me.I just like being out on the water and catch a few fish no matter what size.
Fish on.What is happening to the Niners.
Frank

Back
Top Bottom