Texas Posse scolded

XJINTX

Just returned from a trip to Colorado with friends traveled to Cripple Creek for meetup with more friends and then we spent a week in Pitkin area for dispersed camping. Along the way we seem to have perturbed some locals for driving the speed limit and not using pullovers. . First we use them when available and really don't care if you are in a bigger hurry. Sucks when a GREAT trip gets upended by a wannabe. Sorry pisses me off and just wonder your thoughts?

Attachments

• scolded.jpg
    scolded.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 415
I would be pissed also, not to mention being taken aback by someone posting a picture on a Four Wheel Camper site making an issue. Been plenty of times where I have had someone pushing us, that could have passed but didn't. We try to pull over at pull-offs when we can and on 2-lane roads that have periodic passing lanes always staying to the right to allow vehicles to pull over. It has to be safe to pull over. There have been times a pull-over came up so quickly, it would have been dangerous to try and stop. It would have been next to impossible for all of you to pull-over at one place. You were safely spread out. I thought that post and picture was uncalled for, JD

I agree, it’s disappointing when that happens. Even though we drive at or slightly above the speed limit, there’s almost always someone who feels it’s not fast enough. We try to pull over any time there is someone on our tail, because you never know when they’ll pass at the wrong time.

Folks, it’s time to review the Site Rules. So far there have been 3 posts hidden by different members of the Site Team. You can agree or disagree with the original post without being crude or rude.

I would have never seen that because I am not signed up with "mugshot" or any other social media stuff. If I am driving the speed limit I'll pull over when it is convenient for me..

It does seem a little unreasonable to post this on social media, as it is really not that big a deal. However being a 'local' in CO I can also understand that it can be a bit frustrating, particularly when you encounter groups. While the roads are often super scenic, steep and winding, some locals are commuting, or just trying to get from A to B and are very familiar with the roads. On mountain road passing can be difficult to do safely, so it is safer for everyone to pull over when you can. With the current surge in RVs in the state, I have been guilty of getting a little frustrated getting stuck behind packs of them and their 'toads' who are (understandably) driving cautiously, but also not being particularly courteous to other drivers be pulling over when they can.

Unfortunately this may also be coloured by some animosity towards Texans in Southern CO. While I am sure as WtW folks you all were not part of the problem, but there has been some tension between locals and tourists, particularly with regard to ATV and Side by Sides (not so affectionately known as 'Texas Golf Carts') in some of the mountain towns. Many of these tourists are 'proudly' from Texas (you know the type), which may have lead to some unfair stereotypes.

Geez. I hate to see what he would do when he is in a line of 20 or so behind a piece of farm equipment , which is often the case in our area. I think it's kinda funny that he has to post it on Facebook though.

penner said:
Geez. I hate to see what he would do when he is in a line of 20 or so behind a piece of farm equipment , which is often the case in our area. I think it's kinda funny that he has to post it on Facebook though.
A woman scorned, eh? :giggle:

Having been on both sides of the equation, I pull over when I'm holding up traffic. Doesn't matter if I'm going 10 MPH over or 10 MPH under.

I don't do FaceBorg, so it would have been lost on me. It is rude, but not the most rude behavior people get up to. My goal is to be safe and courteous, in that order.

Oregon Traffic Code says a driver must pull out where safe to do so when impeding 5 or more vehicles.

( But then who much cares anymore about the law ? )

An issue does arise with groups of travelers who wish to drive together and arrive together.

In my area it can often be groups of motorcyclists with sometime 20 or more traveling in a procession.

Best thing is to pull out when you can and remain patient if you are behind.

Driving is the most dangerous thing you did today.

David Graves

I saw the post on the FB group. I'm a Local in Colorado. Born and raised. I've seen both sides of this coin for sure. If the group was doing the speed limit, the guy complaining needs to back off. Now if the group was going under the speed limit sure there is some room to gripe. Even still, some roads don't have pullouts to get out of the way if you wanted to.

But having been stuck behind an RV coming down through the Arkansas river canyon from Salida I can find it infuriating when I'm second behind the guy and can see 20 other poor soles in my mirrors. Never have I ever been more happy to see a State Patrol leap frogging his way up the line to pull the guy over that's overwhelmed with the scenery and the lack of ability to drive a house on wheels through a winding river road. I will say this without trying to come off snobbish, but it had out of state plates.

Was it appropriate to take a pic and post it up on a FB group page for the main point of griping about it? Nope.

pvstoy said:
Why is it that when you do get to a safe passing zone or lane the person speeds up making it difficult and unsafe to pass?
Because they feel back at home on a four lane road. We should remember how few people drive two lanes these days. :)

ski3pin said:
Because they feel back at home on a four lane road. We should remember how few people drive two lanes these days. :)
Interesting point. :scratches chin:

I too have been on both sides of this issue. I pull over anytime I'm backing up traffic, regardless of the speed limit or my current traveling speed. It is the courteous thing to do.

rando said:
It does seem a little unreasonable to post this on social media, as it is really not that big a deal. However being a 'local' in CO I can also understand that it can be a bit frustrating, particularly when you encounter groups. While the roads are often super scenic, steep and winding, some locals are commuting, or just trying to get from A to B and are very familiar with the roads. On mountain road passing can be difficult to do safely, so it is safer for everyone to pull over when you can. With the current surge in RVs in the state, I have been guilty of getting a little frustrated getting stuck behind packs of them and their 'toads' who are (understandably) driving cautiously, but also not being particularly courteous to other drivers be pulling over when they can.

Unfortunately this may also be coloured by some animosity towards Texans in Southern CO. While I am sure as WtW folks you all were not part of the problem, but there has been some tension between locals and tourists, particularly with regard to ATV and Side by Sides (not so affectionately known as 'Texas Golf Carts') in some of the mountain towns. Many of these tourists are 'proudly' from Texas (you know the type), which may have lead to some unfair stereotypes.
Rando, that is when I get out the popcorn as I read the posts on San Juan Mountain Trail Group. There is definitely a battle line. Fortunately Michael does a great job of keeping it peaceful, and so do our administration on this site. Good post.

longhorn1 said:
Rando, that is when I get out the popcorn as I read the posts on San Juan Mountain Trail Group. There is definitely a battle line. Fortunately Michael does a great job of keeping it peaceful, and so do our administration on this site. Good post.
Yeah, it is not a great situation on many levels. On a serious note, there are some fairly blatant public lands stewardship issues - the theory some of my friends in Telluride have is that TX has almost no public lands, so many of the 'off roaders' who come up to CO have mostly driven in private 'off road parks' in TX and bring that pay the entrance fee then anything goes attitude the USFS land in the San Juans. Hopefully this can be addressed with better education and a moratorium on new ATV rental outfits.

The more insidious part is the division that this is breeding within the CO community. Silverton is a (not so) great example of this. One influential part of the community makes a lot of money renting ATVs, selling expensive burgers, bud-lite and T-shirts to the tourists. Whereas another part of the community isn't making a living from the tourists but still had to endure living with hoards of ATVs ripping through town and past their houses every summer. Earlier this year the town rescinded the special exception that allowed ATVs to be driven on town streets (as part of the alpine loop) at the request of residents, but the folks in the tourist industry have forced this to a town wide vote and reinstated the exception for this summer. The whole issue is tearing this tiny isolated town apart.

I am sure these issues are in no way limited to Texans, but they are often the most identifiable offenders. I know Wyomingites feel the same about Coloradans when the license plates turn green every spring.

Sorry for thread drift and rambling....

Back
Top Bottom