TF Indel upgrade

craig333

Riley's Human
I've been following all the threads on batteries and solar etc rabidly. While I still intend to upgrade my supply I decided I'd get the best results by reducing my demand. Hence the fridge upgrade. Supposedly reduces consumption "up to 50%". Thats significant if true. Its not a cheap kit and you may well ask, as do I, why its not a free upgrade. I hope at least the new ones come with it, no idea if they do.

Okay, its pricey, in the range of 150 and I only found it at one outfit. Defender marine.http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|2276204|2276226|2276232&id=2407016

Installation wasn't bad. I recommend viewing the installation vid first and along with reading the manual.

It is a bit intimidating drilling holes in your expensive fridge.

It replaces the original controller with a new controller. Drill four holes only two all the way through. Mine wasn't exactly like the video but pretty close. Comes with the putty and tape and everything you need except for the tools. Its in metric so some of us will need to convert the measurements.

It comes with the dip switches set for a typical refer install. Change them if you're using it as a freezer or don't like the 12 v cut off (it actually has a 24 volt setting too) but either get a youngun or a magnifying glass if you want to change them. They're really micro.

Including removal and reinstallation I spent about two hours. Now that I've done it I could probably do it in 30 minutes but I was ultra cautious, reading the book, watching the vid, measuring twice etc.

So I put it back in. Plugged in the power. Saw a small spark as I plugged it in. Opened the door, no light. No compressor sound. Ugh, well the light is led maybe I wired it backwards? Bingo. Uh, its fairly cool out, maybe I have to turn the thermostat up? Bingo again. As for actual power consumption I'll have to wait for further testing.

did you install this on a compressor fridge? I'm really interested in the results. Do you have a Trimetric or equivalent so you can accurately measure the amp draw before and after?

I'd be very curious to see what you think of this long term. Please let us know how it works out.
Compressor fridges seem to take more power than most people realize. But they are way better than the 3 ways in my own camping experience.

Wired, not wireless.

VWR Min/Max Memory Thermometer 4305 with bottle probe.

Bottle probe acts like the contents (food) in the fridge (slower reacting to changes), keeps tracks of the min/max fluctuations of temp. Easy to fit the thin wire past the door seal to place bottle probe inside fridge. Zero the memory whenever needed, I usually do it every 24 hours, similar to zeroing my amp/hour usage for 12 VDC electrical on my Morningstar Remote Meter.

Wireless has to have the transmitter/receiver components, just something else to fail, IMHO. Even if the wires break, I can reconnect them back together and extend the life of the unit.

I used a AcuRite wireless indoor/outdoor all the time with my old 3 way fridge so I could tell if the flame was out. I had the sender unit in a zip lock bag in the fridge. Display was hung next to my mirror in the truck cap, worked great. The compressor workd so good I do not use the thermometer anymore.

New version under $10 at Walmart.
k2-_d161535f-1b04-4df9-891f-117498c6639b.v1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom