Thankful to be in Canada again.. in Quebec

Old Crow

Searching....
Well, it’s Canadian Thanksgiving this weekend. We’re on the road again, this time in Quebec. We boondocked last night in Baie-Comeau…. the Quebec end of the Trans-Labrador Highway… and enjoyed smoked and grilled salmon at Pecherie Manicouagan.

We’re not going up the Trans-Lab this time. We’re following the St Lawrence River to the end of Route 138 to its current terminus at Kagaska. I say ‘current terminus’ as there are plans to connect 138 to the Labrador end of the Trans-Lab at Blanc-Sablon (and its ferry to Newfoundland). I’ll have to come see that another time.

But for now, we’ll retreat back to Tadoussac and wander up the Saguenay Fjord. If weather holds, I’d like to see Chibougamou.

As I write this, we’re boondocking at the Vieux Quai in Sept-Ilies and I’m sipping a Sortilege (a maple syrup and Canadian whiskey classic.)

It is SO nice to be in Canada again.

Sounds like a great trip you are on. We came down from the Trans Labrador Hwy into Quebec and on into New England a couple years ago. Beautiful area. We have a similar style drink called a "Whisple" Irish whiskey and a teaspoon of Maple syrup with 1 ice cube.

Old Crow said:
Well, it’s Canadian Thanksgiving this weekend. We’re on the road again, this time in Quebec. We boondocked last night in Baie-Comeau…. the Quebec end of the Trans-Labrador Highway… and enjoyed smoked and grilled salmon at Pecherie Manicouagan.

We’re not going up the Trans-Lab this time. We’re following the St Lawrence River to the end of Route 138 to its current terminus at Kagaska. I say ‘current terminus’ as there are plans to connect 138 to the Labrador end of the Trans-Lab at Blanc-Sablon (and its ferry to Newfoundland). I’ll have to come see that another time.

But for now, we’ll retreat back to Tadoussac and wander up the Saguenay Fjord. If weather holds, I’d like to see Chibougamou.

As I write this, we’re boondocking at the Vieux Quai in Sept-Ilies and I’m sipping a Sortilege (a maple syrup and Canadian whiskey classic.)

It is SO nice to be in Canada again.
I would love to know more about boondocking in that part of Canada. Thinking of a fall trip next year.

Boondocking in a lot of Quebec towns is relatively easy, as many towns have created designated free non-serviced overnight areas, similar to what you’d find in some parts of Europe.

At the same time, other towns are not interested in boon dockers at all. Probably a reflection of the experience they’ve had with some who haven’t been as considerate …

iOverlander and the like is usually a good guide.

In northern Quebec and Labrador, there is a lot of crown land which makes boondocking easy.

Newfoundland was even better, between lots of crown land and small town fishing docks, and incredibly welcoming locals, boondocking was a breeze.

The Maritime provinces (New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island is a little more challenging, particularly in more “touristy” areas.

We spent three months or so roaming that area last summer/fall, starting in eastern Quebec, taking the Trans Labrador over to Newfoundland before taking the ferry for another trip to the Maritimes, including five weeks in Newfoundland and I’d whole heartily recommend that part of the world.

Feel free to reach out if you have any questions.

Back
Top Bottom