The Acoustic Thread - What are you listening to?

After listening to that performance...Feeling a little ennui and nostalgia for get togethers of years past?

Time to be planning to bust out of this pampered but stultifying existence and get a bunch of Wanderers together somewhere in red rock or other desert country? If we can remember how?? Or is it still too early for taking back independent activities?

Paul

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Oh my! Two masters of their craft.

For me Jerry Douglas is synonymous with dobro. And Mark is also a master of guitar. Watched him run circles 'round another guitar master - Steve Kaufman - at a festival one year. Prior to that set Mark had played an hour solo split between fiddle and guitar if I remember correctly. I was enthralled.

ski3pin said:
Mr. Sage, here's what you need to keep your fox family happy. :)

I had a coyote come and plop down in the sand just outside the ring of firelight one night when I was playing the guitar. I have not yet entertained a fox.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
The foxes here are somewhat shy. I learned a local resident up the mountain from us, shot one recently. I have no words…
Yup, it sure is a lot classier to pick a little banjo for them. I have words, but I'll stick to the cowboy code.

I have never heard of "True Temperament Frets"... you can see them and at first I thought it was my eyes!
She plays this well and is a fabulous blues player too.

buckland said:
I have never heard of "True Temperament Frets"... you can see them and at first I thought it was my eyes!
She plays this well and is a fabulous blues player too.

Gretchen Menn is a truly accomplished guitarist!

I had to look up "True Temperment" also. I thought it was a different tuning system, such as Bach's "Well-tempered" as in his 48 preludes and fugues in all the keys. Before then, only some keys worked on keyboards, due to the tuning system in use in even earlier generations.

But no, True Temperment appears to be something quite different, taking into account the string thickness etc. Fascinating stuff. Not that my ears can tell much difference! I've tried tuning my keyboard instrument to some of the ancient tuning methods, and frankly couldn't quite detect it.

Then again, I'm happy with Sumosprings on our camper, which many think are too this or too that... Life is easier for some of us who don't notice subtleties!

Boy, that woman sure plays beautifully.

Thanks Steve.I needed some great sounds after this weeks news from the supremes.

Take Five is one of my best liked,with Joe Morello on drums.
I started listening to Dave early 50s.One of his first albums "Jazz Impressions of the US" (hard to find),
has a track "Sounds of the Loop" Morello on that cut is fantastic.

Saw Dave a couple times at a 900 seat outdoor venue in the hills above Saratoga,Ca.

Frank

Back
Top Bottom