The Alaskan Mini

Went over and took a look...might be a nice camper, but the words "butt ugly" popped into my head...

Interesting, but..

TCM: What does the Alaskan Mini weigh?

Bryan: The dry weight of the Mini is 940 pounds with battery. With a full ten-gallon water tank (80 pounds) and a full two-gallon propane tank (about ten pounds) the wet weight would be about 1,030 pounds.

We designed the camper to keep all of the weight forward including keeping the water tank and refrigerator in the first twenty-two inches of the camper. There’s almost nothing in the back of the camper but the two-gallon propane tank.

Tacoma owners are going to need suspension boosters of some sort. We’re not over weight with the Mini, but you’ll be right at payload capacity when you add passengers and stuff.

EdoHart: So 1300-1030 = 270 pounds for passengers and stuff. I don't know about the rest of you, but I carry at least 270 pounds worth of stuff, which doesn't leave much weight for driver, and passengers.

Thank you, but I think I'll keep my FWC.

We don't have the nicest camper, no doubt. We do have the most practical one. I will never never ever have a truck with an overweight camper again. That lesson was just too painful to learn.

Thanks for the pics and story..
WE will keep our FWC.

robbie

I'll say x2 to craig33...
We don't have the nicest camper, no doubt. We do have the most practical one. I will never never ever have a truck with an overweight camper again. That lesson was just too painful to learn.

The capacity on all of our trucks are ON paved / smooth road rating. That is not where I go with a camper. After a major crack in an f250 frame...well, I for one will try to watch and respect the numbers. After installing timbren load boosters in the rear. I thought "no problem, I can go anywhere, as long as I dont drag the camper".

I like the design though, with the weight in the center of the truck. Lots of possibilities with a FWC/ATC shell. Would provide for a more spacious dinette with I think a much more open feeling, especially if you had windows on either side.

Yeah, I like the COG.

Kicking ideas around, I'd thought putting a U shaped galley in that spot on a Cougar.

Of course, everything is a compromise.

Back
Top Bottom