The case for getting far, far away

clikrf8 said:
Hi Stew,
We have stopped at Black Desert several times, once in 2012 and this year both times in autumn. Deserts appeal to me as we live in an entirely different area (our acreage has 3' D Cedar and Doug Fir, moss, many fern varieties, year round creek, several ponds and maybe a few glacial erratic boulders). I love that you can see forever and that the sky is so full of stars. I am working on photos from our trip (2k+) and will try to get to those I shot in October. We camped near the playa at Black Rock and watched an elk slowly make his way to the opposite side. We want to return to check out the canyons to the north. We were there during the shutdown so no one home at the Gerlach BLM office and the VC was closed when we drove through town. That area is really remote and we wanted info and more accurate maps before we wandered off too far. We did drive up 34 and Soldier Meadow Road about 10 miles. Nevada is getting to be one of my favorite states because, other than Reno and LV, you rarely encounter traffic or other people. And, once off the highways, you can explore ghost towns, canyons, desert, etc.

Alvord Desert and Steens Mt Loop was on our itinerary but we had a camper malfunction so I guess next fall on way to Yellowstone/Tetons. We are going to Eastern oregon in April for 2-3 weeks so we may sneak in a trip to Alvord (Steens MT Loop closed) when we explore Succor Creek, Leslie Gulch, Owyhee area and Summer lake area (found some cool agates). Maybe we will see you our there.
Yep, all great far, far away places. I especially like the huge glacial valleys on Steens Mountain and the dry lake beds at their feet. Hard to believe that there was ever that much water in what is now such a vast desert.

Back
Top Bottom