The Danger of a Life-Saving Device

ski3pin

Belay On
Site Team
Having worked in winter mountain search & rescue in the Sierra Nevada for over 20 years, I found this article interesting. I can remember back to the first time we spoke with a party that needed help on their new fangled contraption - a cell phone. This article deals with false alarms from SPOT, PLB, and InReach devices. As with any newer technology, I expect we are in for a period of working all the bugs out. A colleague suggested this morning that we add a piece to our instruction on what a real life threatening emergency in the background is - when it is appropriate to push the SOS button. The statistics quoted in the article are a surprise.

Here's a link to the article -

The Danger of a Life-Saving Device

As an aside, I've always figured the capabilities/use of these devises will soon be replaced by an app on your smartphone.

A friend of mine has spot. I am thinking about getting the InReach. I have been thinking and thinking. I need to pull the trigger but haven't.

We are now using inreach as a mapping and potential life saving device.

I've always believed self rescue and drama avoidance was enough, but I've come to see the wisdom of having a satelite link to rescue services may become paramount.

My trip to DVNP this year convinced me to get an InReach Explorer. While not having cell coverage is frequent, it was the first time I was, also, unable to make a ham contact. None of the ham repeaters I had listed were active or I was not in line of sight of them. Getting help could have meant a long hike with limited water availability or waiting for someone to drive by that could go for help.

To avoid the false alarms mentioned in the above article, I practiced sending texts to and from my cell phone at home, then with my wife when I was out of cell service range in the Oregon Coast range but not out of ham range. Having two way texting should avoid sending a Life Flight helicopter when what I need is the truck fixed or a tow out of the ditch.

I have not needed to use it in an emergency situation but it is good to know I have yet another method of summoning help if needed. Come to think of it, having the winch on my old CJ-5 was similar in that I never used it to get myself out of trouble but did use it to help others.

Paul

Guys, Good article, and all you guys are right and you can't legislate for stupid. I bought and have been carrying my " Spot" for many years now! I got mine as a result of a pretty good thread started by Ski a while back about maybe needing some type of emergency back up when there is no cell phone or other back up device when and if that unplanned for "bad" event happened. If I remember right, Ski wondered off from camp one day (like we all do) and ran into a bear and all of his emergency gear was on the camp chair back at camp. Look, back then I could not afford a sat phone and still can not, but my spot sends my location to friends who know where I am and what to do if I ever do push that "SOS" or if they do not receive my daily "I'm here and Okay message. I usually WTW alone most of the time and if nothing else it gives me peace of mind. People are stupid and we can not do to much about that, and much of our time here is devoted to avoiding that bad situation and what to do and not do and what to carry for our own saftey! Until I can afford something better (and I keep looking at new things), i'll keep WTWing along out there and hope I never need to push that "SOS".

Smoke

I'll confess, several months ago we purchased the generation 3 Spot, after insistence from friends. We are very independent and, I think, fairly skilled and experienced. We know what to do (and what happens response wise) in an emergency and as Lighthawk says, the first option will always be self rescue and drama avoidance.

I did my research and evaluated our needs and selected the Spot. The ability to send position data to friends on a regular basis was our main need. This narrowed it to the Spot and InReach. We chose the simpler and cheaper unit although the main expense will be the annual subscription. Having a couple of very talented and adventuresome friends that recommended and use Spot helped decision wise. And, since I am on their "help" and "emergency" contact lists, I was familiar with the website and notices sent out.

Our main need, due to our independence and propensity to just take off, was keeping friends informed about our whereabouts. The main function we use (and make a habit of) is sending a nightly campsite location. I know that for some friends on our list, we are providing entertainment. But, I know that 5 or 6 are keeping record and paying attention to direction of travel and point last seen.

My biggest concern is disappearing, dropping off the face of the earth. If either of us are conscious and able to function in any limited way, people are going to hear about it. Help will be on the way. If we disappear, we have left a trail with this Spot device. If friends stop receiving location information, they are on their way. I have personally seen the effects "not knowing" has on family and friends. I have talked with them and done my best to comfort them during incidents I have been involved in. It has profoundly affected me. I do not want to leave my family and friends that way.

The SOS button is going to work. Pushing it will be the very last item on the list. Of much more practical use to us is the "Help" button that goes out to people on our list. I think of this button for non life threatening emergencies. I was humbled and pleased, when word got out about us having a Spot, that two friends asked to be added to our "help" (and SOS contact list) contact list. Both of these individuals know us, our abilities, our travel style, and they also know the system, how rescue and emergency response works. They are very skilled in the outdoors. I know what will happen if they are notified. I know they will do exactly what I will do for them if they push their "help" button.

Having a safety net out there gives peace of mind.

I hope this provides useable information for decision making. Each of the devices have pro and cons. Do your research and pick the one that best serves your needs. But remember the device is only as good as your ability to use it.

And back to the point of the article - let's use the SOS for real emergencies.

ski3pin said:
And back to the point of the article - let's use the SOS for real emergencies.
I shared this article with friends. The responses received are informative, such as this one -

"Ski, read this article previously and it quickly reminded me of the years working as the Lakewood station dispatcher.... 9-1-1 hang ups, drunks butt dialing, kids playing, "adults" trying out the 9-1-1 system etc. some cities contemplating billing for false emergency calls etc. what a waste of resources on "my tent-mate is snoring etc"

I agree regarding what is a REAL life threatening emergency is should be covered"

My wife a SPOT for me after I was missing for two nights, stuck in a snow drift up near Hell Hole, now I don't leave home without it. You never know !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I personally can't imagine calling for help (SOS) if it isn't a life or death matter. I'd be mortified to have search and rescue show up if I didn't absolutely need it. It is a comfort to have a device if that should ever occur. I'm pretty sure my dog is no lassie :)

Great article, thanks for sharing. I sit here at home and read it on my 36th anniversary with the fire department. Along with that experience, I also volunteered for 16 years with a search and rescue team.

I plan on getting one because you just never know. I will agree that you that you "can't regulate stupid". As also has been said "common sense is not so common anymore".

911 and cellular phones have been a big plus to emergency response. The problem is that people are becoming less able to handle things on their own and they think a simple phone call will have someone fix their problem for them - emergency or not.

Thousands of times a day across this country first responders risk their lives to handle everyday challenges to ones life. Don't get me wrong, I am more than willing to help when needed but when the man of the house hands me a battery and tells me the step stool is in the garage I wonder why he couldn't just change the battery in the smoke detector himself? (note: happened twice with the same guy, and were talking 40ish not 70ish).

As I see it, the definition of "emergency" has changed over time. To some people being late to work is an emergency (and one that trumps the guy bleeding in the street).

Sorry off my soapbox.

I used to work for the NPS and Forest Service. I have responded to many PLB (personal locator beacon) and a significant majority of them have been false reports of one type of another. Often times people hitting the wrong button or doing something they otherwise wouldn't because they have a beacon.

What most people don't realize is the vast majority of rescuers are volunteers. When I was working for the NPS I would get paid for SARs but most responders I worked with were volunteers. I am always impressed by and appreciated the all volunteer rescue groups that donated their own time and dime to help total strangers. The amount of training SAR units go through (especially mountain rescue units) is very time consuming and shows the dedication of these all volunteer units.

Also like most seasonal employees even if I wasn't currently working for the NPS or Forest Service (in my off season) I still responded to SAR calls. But after dealing with so many false alarms and angry victims (you would be surprised how often this happens) I found that I was responding in my off season, less for the victims and more for my friends and coworkers who are being exposed to the hazards during SARs. I still deeply care for victims and will do everything I can to help but it bothers me to see soo many responders put into harms way for trivial reasons.

Here is some interesting articles I have read over the years.

This is the infamous grand canyon incident.
http://www.nationalparkstraveler.com/2009/10/third-time-was-anything-charming-%E2%80%93-spot-misuse-grand-canyon-national-park4790

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/33470581/ns/us_news-life/t/tired-hike-rescuers-fear-yuppie/

Unfortunately the people that need to read the article probably never will.

I have a registered PLB. I got it primarily for when I'm out in the ocean 30 - 50 miles. I have brought it with me on other adventures but couldn't imagine hitting the button unless I was at the end of my rope.

Timothy McGowen said:
--snip--

911 and cellular phones have been a big plus to emergency response. The problem is that people are becoming less able to handle things on their own and they think a simple phone call will have someone fix their problem for them - emergency or not.
Each of should ask his county/city Emergency Manager when & where the next CERT (community emergency response team) training is being held. Sign up and learn a lot that can help you, your family, your neighborhood and your region when things go bad. Get prepared for the likely disaster situations in your area.

You will find that, as a camper, you have most of the equipment & supplies you need to be prepared. CERT training will provide the knowledge to make it useful. And you will learn where you have holes in your preparation.

Getting to know your local police, fire, & other emergency responders will give you a better appreciation of what they face in their work.

Paul

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-11-02 at 6.24.08 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-11-02 at 6.24.08 AM.png
    437.3 KB · Views: 71
billharr said:
Putting this here as it fits in. 100% rebate on SPOT at REI

This is a better link, looks like you can buy anywhere and get the rebate.
This looks like a pretty good deal expect the satellite phone contract unless you are boondocking on a regular basis. There has been a big question between Spot and Inreach. Inreach apparently has a plan for those that want to activate part of the year. Sure would like to have someone chime in if they have re-searched both.

Per my discussion with inReach at the NW Overland Expo, watch for a similar rebate/good deal for inReach this shopping season.

InReach does offer seasonal ("Freedom") plans for those of us who do not travel off-grid all year, you can turn the service on and off with little penalty/re-activate costs. However, inReach is not voice, just texting and "location pings."

http://www.inreachdelorme.com/product-info/subscription-plans.php

Bill

Back
Top Bottom