The freak accident thread

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure
Site Team
Well I had pretty much the most absurd ridiculous accident ever today. While I'm working in front of the computer I sit on a fit ball because it does wonders for my back. Today I was about go outside and brush the dogs so I had a furminator (a dog comb with a somewhat sharp flat blade) in my back pocket. At the last minute I ran over to the computer to check on something and right when I sat down........ the furminator popped the fit ball and I landed flat on my back on the concrete. To make matters worse, the glass of water in my hand went everywhere - all over my computer, paperwork etc. Needless to say I feel pretty silly.

So out with it! I know someone else here must have had some kind of embarrassing accident in the not so distant past :D

I pulled up at the most popular surf spot in ventura county the other day. Surf was firing, weekend people everywhere. I was so excited to get in the water...I did, I put my wetsuit on backwards :unsure: .....30 years of going surfing, 10 of those in the wetsuit industry, never done that before...

Several years ago I put a nail through the copper water main feeding my house. "What is that hissing sound, and why is there water coming out from behind that wall?" It took 3 trips to the hardware store and about 4 hours to repair. I can sweat a copper joint pretty well now.

Most recently, Friday morning, I went out to start my wife's car to clear the ice so she could go to work. I noticed some small black gooey piles of an unknown substance on the sidewalk. Looked as though it had washed off the roof from a recent rain.

I started backing up slowly looking up on the roof. Forgot all about the 24" hedge around my yard. Yep, fell over it backwards onto the frozen ground with the hedge seriously scratching my legs.

Probably worse than hurting was my neighbor lady was next door scraping ice from her car and saw the whole thing. And she saw much more than that as I was only wearing my bath robe and the first thing to hit the ground was the back of my head. You can imagine the rest!!!

Oh, BTW, the little black piles? Turned out to be rotten leaves washed out of my plugged up gutter. :(

Well my inlaws first time in the USA (they are from Germany). I planed a trip to San Francisco. The night before we left I was packing the truck. I needed one more bag so I went to my friends next door who was out of town. The bag was up in the loft. I decited to stand on a wicker basket to get the bag. Needless to say I jumped up to reach the bag. I only managed to jump about an inch up and fell on my wrist and back of my head. Oh and it was 10:30 @ night everyone was asleep. No trip, broken wrist in 3 places. Note to self Dont stand on a pile of twigs when you weight over 200 pounds and think you can jump @ 48 years old. The next year we went to the bay with the Germans.

OK new here but I will have a go, I have a BMW GS1200 ADV it's a big bike. I was pulling up to the gas pumps in Lolo, MT no big deal right I shut the bike off and just coasted up to the pumps when I put my foot out to stop/stand up it was in some oil and just slowly slid out from under me. The new bike and myself went crashing down in a big mess I fought it as long as I could but all it did was prolong the outcome and attract unwanted attention. When I got up I just jumped up with both arms in the air saying I'm alright I'm alright don't know why I did that it just came out really embarsed myself I picked the bike up before anyone came over to help. Yea I know I don't spell very good ether

Heath

Don't know if you would call it an accident.
One night I pulled in pretty late( actually very early) into a campsite near Moab.
Being a quite as one can be with a diesel truck I set up camp in a few seconds.

Hitting the sack I managed to lay onto the truck keys which activated the alarm!!!
Turned out the keys were inside my sleeping bag and it took a few moments to find them to deactivate the alarm.
But even 10 sec at night seems like an eternity.
Needless to I probably woke up the whole campground and I got some funny smiles the next morning.

Lesson learned….I stopped using my “city” keys to go camping and only use the simple one without the alarm button.
Won’t happen again promise ;)

Sometime about 40 years ago my gf and I were returning to Boulder CO down the pre-I 70 valley roads between Grand Junction and Vail. We'd been driving about 14 hours in a continual state of what John Prine calls an illegal smile and were totally wasted. Saw a dirt road, pulled a mile or so off the main and crashed out on tarps.

A couple of hours later I hear the TRAIN- don't think much about it and roll over.
The TRAIN is getting closer- sound really travels in those mountain valleys but still...
TRAIN is getting louder- I know we're not on the tracks right. RIGHT?
Damn that thing is getting close, where's the flashlight (I don't know, probably in the car)
Jesus it sounds like it's right on top of us, grab the stuff and head for the car.
Turn on headlights and see tracks about 100 yards away and train just coming into sight about 1/4 mile away- I told you that sound carries.
4:00 AM, too rattled for sleep so rrrroooollllll another one and off we head for Boulder.

Nothing like Colorado in the late 60's.

Sometime about 40 years ago my gf and I were returning to Boulder CO down the pre-I 70 valley roads between Grand Junction and Vail. We'd been driving about 14 hours in a continual state of what John Prine calls an illegal smile and were totally wasted. Saw a dirt road, pulled a mile or so off the main and crashed out on tarps.

A couple of hours later I hear the TRAIN- don't think much about it and roll over.
The TRAIN is getting closer- sound really travels in those mountain valleys but still...
TRAIN is getting louder- I know we're not on the tracks right. RIGHT?
Damn that thing is getting close, where's the flashlight (I don't know, probably in the car)
Jesus it sounds like it's right on top of us, grab the stuff and head for the car.
Turn on headlights and see tracks about 100 yards away and train just coming into sight about 1/4 mile away- I told you that sound carries.
4:00 AM, too rattled for sleep so rrrroooollllll another one and off we head for Boulder.

Nothing like Colorado in the late 60's.

Thread's supposed to be about freak accidents... ;) :cool:

...in a continual state of what John Prine calls an illegal smile...

I loves me some John Prine!

Thread's supposed to be about freak accidents... ;) :cool:

Well it could have been a freak accident. My sleeping bag came close to getting wet.

107 INCHES OF RAIN, A WEED WACKER AND A CASE OF OATMEAL COOKIES......................
We've had a lot of rain up here in Whitethorn, in fact we had 2 in. today, well, the weeds and grass around here have been growing ........ like weeds. I've been waiting for a while to hit a dry day when I had the time to start weed wacking and mowing around here because the stuff gets so high you can't cut it. I got my break a couple of days ago and broke out the Stihl and went to work, the grass was too tall and still wet, I couldn't get any kind of a rhythm going and I realized it was going to be a struggle but I stuck with it and finally started to make some headway, I had my Ipod on and I was in a good grove when out of the corner of my left eye I saw it, it looked for a split second like a brown Mt. Everest, I have very good reflexes and man I almost had er' stopped but no cigar, all 15 thousand rpm's of 90mm plastic string cut into that pile and the rest was history. I was peeling my clothes off on a dead run to the shower when it hit me, why do I smell oatmeal cookies, I thought for a minute I entered the other world, but there was no time to think about it, I had to get to the shower, full hot every kind of soap I could find including Comet and after there was no hot water left I felt I was safe, It was an ugly close call but it's been a few days and I'm not barking or humping anybody's leg so I think I'm safe. And the oatmeal cookies, a while back I bought a case because now and then I give one or two to the boys in place of milk bones and earlier that day they found the stash, I guess I need a safe, and from now on I'll dress for the occasion......................

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    175.6 KB · Views: 119
Jon

I use to love oatmeal cookies. Thanks a lot

Your going to forget all about it in a day of two, me, I think it's going to take a little longer. By the way do you like strawberry short cake?

Attachments

• Funniest_Demotivators_Of_The_Day_1.jpg
    Funniest_Demotivators_Of_The_Day_1.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 103
Back
Top Bottom