the inland passage of Alaska

Great info about Teklanika Camp Gene, thanks. How far out do you recommend I made reservations to camp there? I think we'll be there in early September. I just pencilled-out the mileage, cost and time and it looks like we'll need 30 days(!!) to do it right but only $1600 in gas money. Portland, Inuvik, Chicken, Denali, Anchorage, Skagway, Juneau, Bellingham.

Great info about Teklanika Camp Gene, thanks. How far out do you recommend I made reservations to camp there? I think we'll be there in early September. I just pencilled-out the mileage, cost and time and it looks like we'll need 30 days(!!) to do it right but only $1600 in gas money. Portland, Inuvik, Chicken, Denali, Anchorage, Skagway, Juneau, Bellingham.

Your itinerary is just perfect, plenty of inland and some ferry as well! Make your reservation at Teklanika Camp asap. It fills up.

On your drive up, take Cassiar Hwy and the very short side trip to Stewart/Hyder. There is a bear viewing platform you can watch the grizzlies catch salmon.

I'd concur on taking the Cassiar and stopping at Hyder, also make the side trip to Telegraph Creek on the Stikine. When we did this in 98 there were free forestry maps available at the tourist info stops in the small towns along the way. They showed side roads and camps that we would have missed otherwise. The Dempster is a must do if you're in that area. I'd take a 12 gauge loaded with slugs and 00 for bear protection when boondocking.

I'd concur on taking the Cassiar and stopping at Hyder, also make the side trip to Telegraph Creek on the Stikine. When we did this in 98 there were free forestry maps available at the tourist info stops in the small towns along the way. They showed side roads and camps that we would have missed otherwise. The Dempster is a must do if you're in that area. I'd take a 12 gauge loaded with slugs and 00 for bear protection when boondocking.

really? What if we have a pop up 4 wheel camper? Will the soft sides be a problem? Our food will be in there with us.

The bears are not a problem. I have even camped in small tents in all these areas. Unlike the lower 48, Canadian and Alaskan bears are not habituated to humans as a source of garbage and food. The wilder your camp is, the less likely to bump into a bear. Even in Denali where the human density of the entrance area campgrounds approach lower 48 campgrounds, there are no bear problems.

There are plenty of statically studies done in Alaska and Canada showing that those humans who carry guns are considerably more likely to be killed by a bear than not. One reason is that should you be charged by a grizzly, over 95% of the charges are bluff charges. If you shoot a charging bear, you will not likely kill it, no matter what you use to shoot it with, but really piss it off making the charge no longer a bluff. Another finding is that bears, like dogs, can tell nervousness in humans. Humans that tote guns in fear, give off a different odor than those that do not carry guns, an odor the bears find unpredictable and threatening.

Grizzlies are vegetarian and pescarian for the most part. They really are not interested in you. Most charges happen when a bear is surprised and with young. When hiking it is helpful to stay in open country where you will not surprise and grizzlies. Always walk close with others you are hiking with. The more people in a group the less likely to be of interest to a bear. In Alaska, no group of 4 or more hikers closely together have ever been charged. Practically every altercation with a bear is an alone hiker. Do not bring dogs to bear country, they run after bears and when the bears turns to chase the dog away, your dog will run to you for help.

Leave the meat, smelly cheese and fish at home. Your heart and arteries will thank you. If you must carry something to make you feel better, powerful pepper sprays have proven to be a better deterrant of bears with less likely hood of a human death in the end.

I have been through Canada, Arctic Canada and Alaska many times. To actually even see a grizzly or wolf is unlikely outside of Denali Nat. Park. The most dangerous animal in the north that kills the most humans (even if we don't count car accidents) is the moose.

really? What if we have a pop up 4 wheel camper? Will the soft sides be a problem? Our food will be in there with us.

It's an individual choice but I figure it's best to be safe rather than sorry. We were there in 98 and there were several cases of bear attacks that year and the year before. In one case a few people were killed by a black bear at an established hotspring and camp in canada that we visited. The attack was only stopped by someone with a shotgun.

I don't think the soft sided camper is an issue, we had one in 98, if a bear wants in aluminum (or sheet steel for that matter) won't stop him either. Strangely, you can't legally take pepper spray with you into canada but a long gun is legal, don't even consider a handgun they are big NONO's in canada. I agree that statistically the risk of a bear attack is low (and yes moose are more dangerous) but if it does happen what are you going to do?

Back
Top Bottom